Sauna Suits

Options
The other day when I was walking around the track at the park I noticed there were a few folks who had on plastic/sauna suits. They looked real hot. One of them had water in his pocket and drank a lot:drinker: but I didn't notice the other two drinking any water. It was a hot evening and I was afraid somone might pass out .

Have any of you ever exercised with one and benefited? Seems like you could end up really dehydrated.

Replies

• imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    They're ridiculous and other then sweating a whole lot, they're doing nothing that would give them an advantage over someone not wearing a suit. They'd get better results loading a backpack with weights and carrying that around the track.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Yep, the only thing they're doing is quick weight loss from water loss. It's a very dangerous thing to do.
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    They might of been trying to cut weight for a fitness/muscle competition. Bodybuilders do it so that they look more defined as their skin will stick to their muscles more thus looking more ripped. And mixed martial arts fighters will use the same technique so that they can make weight for a fight.

If you're trying to lose real body fat, it's completely useless. And you're putting yourself at risk for instant death, no kidding. :(
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I know if I wear one while spinning I am not as sore afterward or if I go in the steamroom after I spin either.
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    They are dangerous. I am glad that the man was drinking a lot of water, but I just hope it was enough. The sauna suits cause dehydration AND do not allow sweat to evaporate, which is a human's way of cooling. Therefore, those sauna suits can lead to hyperthermia, which is very, very dangerous.
  • 1QueenB
    1QueenB Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do own one, but I only wear it every so often and only when I workout at home!!! I would never be caught dead outside with that hideous thing on outside, it is just not DivaLike!!! :noway: As for it helping me, I don't think so, when I first got it I wore it all the time (again only in the house) and I did sweat alot but I can't say it helped in any real way.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    It does NOTHING positive at all, and can kill you. Isn't that why we're trying to lose weight, because too much food does the same thing?

The ONLY time these are good is for athletes in weight classes to make weight. I had to do some running in a sweatsuit in Florida back in high school to make weight for weightlifting. Then, after the weigh in, we'd drink like a gallon of water to recouperate.
  • jusniq
    jusniq Posts: 49
    Options
    I don't know much about the, and I see some people use em at my gym, and I just assume they used them because they want to sweat.

I'm not a fashionista by any means, I just would never wear those. They just look.... If I want to sweat alot, I wear a hoodie, or layer up.