Is it safe to have a first big weight loss?

Options
I am back to losing weight and currently weigh 14 st 7 pounds (203lbs). However from my past attempt I know I lose a large amount of weight in the first 2/3 weeks. Usually this is about 20lb!! It does slow down from there but is this ok? I have been told I should not lose more than 3lb a week.
All I am doing is cutting out the chocolate and junk food and eating around 1600 cals. And doing exercise like taking dog for longer walks. I am worried that I will be left with more loose skin from the parid weight loss. I have 70lbs to lose altogether.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I will bet a lot of the initial weight loss is water weight. I have this happen too, and it weight loss does slow down.

No, 3 pounds a week is not a safe weight loss unless you are under a doctor's care and instructed to lose that amount for medical reasons. 2 pounds is fine if you have a large amount to lose, but if you have 10-20 pounds to shed, losing that at a half a pound to a pound per week is a non-aggressive approach.

Good luck!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Usually when you first start to lose weight you drop some water weight which can give you some pretty high weight loss numbers. But generally after a week or two that should subside and you should get back to more normal weekly weight loss numbers like 1-3 lbs or something.

If you're really heavy to start with you might lose more than 3 lbs a week and it still be alright. But generally, if you're not completely obese, the recommended rate is around 1-2 lbs per week. It's just much easier to maintain that rate since you don't have to be in much of a calorie deficit to keep that up. My TDEE is 3000 calories and as long as I eat around 2300-2400 calories a day I lose about 1-1.5 lb per week on average. I'd be starving on 1600-1800 calories a day and probably wouldn't be able to maintain that for much more than a few weeks before binging.

Maybe you could aim for 2 lbs a week at first and when you get closer to your goal try to trim that down to 1 lb a week or so. You just have to experiment with how many calories you can eat to lose weight at any given weight. Once you determine that it's pretty easy to either lose slower or faster.
  • Emsie_lou
    Emsie_lou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I am classed as morbidly obese so have a lot to lose as I am only 5 ft 2!!
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I started out @ 236 & lost 16 the first month, 15 the 2nd month, 11 or so the 3rd, then down to 5 the 4th. As you get closer to your goal weight, the weight will be harder to work off but can be done! Catching the lose skin early is key. I've been doing cardio only the last 7 months, but I just found a piece of loose skin above my belly button last night. So, I'm rigorously working on my abs now, sooner than I thought I would. In 2 days, I've done 200 ab crunches & working on other areas, too. I have lost 3 lbs in a week before, but I cut out a lot just to make it happen. Usually after I make a big drop, I'll eat some calories the next day or so. Also the closer you get to your goal weight, the fewer calories you get to eat, unless you work out. I have my activity level @ sedentary, burn about 800 on average, & lose about 2 lbs/week.

Add me if you'd like for support! :)