AIRO- Can it work like described?

Options
AIRO wristband tracks not just sleep, exercise and stress, but also what you eat
aqiwreor.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/28/airo-wristband/
Abhilash Jayakumar, co-founder and CEO of Airo Heath, tells us it's able to do this because specific nutrients have different light properties. "As your body breaks the food down, the sensor can detect the amount of light that passes through the blood based on green, red and infrared patterns." So, for example, if you just ate a candybar, you'll see a spike in sugar intake reflected on an accompanying AIRO app. The wristband is able to parse the nutritional value of food into protein, fat and carbohydrates. Jayakumar tells us that the app is right now not quite sophisticated enough to tell the difference between simple starches and complex ones, but the team still has more experiments to do, so don't rule that out just yet.

"We might be able to see a difference in waveform, that would show you whether something is better or worse for the body." Further, Jayakumar notes that the AIRO's caloric intake measurement might differ from that on food packaging, because different people process foods differently.

What does everyone think? is it even possible?

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I read this same article. I am hopeful, but a bit skeptical. I certainly would not pre-order one.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    I read this same article. I am hopeful, but a bit skeptical. I certainly would not pre-order one.
    I agree, really want to see it once they go to production. So far it is only theory.
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    I'm sure it's possible but would definitely wait for it to be out a while and check reviews. Seems pretty awesome in my opinion and definitely an "easier" way to track your food....oh wait, we can't be lazy anymore LOL.

This is the first I've seen or heard about it, thanks Tony, and let me know if you get one!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It says there is no prototype built yet. It seems unlikely that it can track calories. Otherwise, I'm sure it will work great.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    It says there is no prototype built yet. It seems unlikely that it can track calories. Otherwise, I'm sure it will work great.

I agree but minus the whole food thing though it is just another fitness tracker.
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Maybe they'll integrate it into the next iPhone Watch? LOL
  • c_ansari
    c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I met with an exercise physiologist today who is working with the team building this product. He seems very optimistic about this product. I told him if they're ever looking for a guinea pig that they should give me a call.

It seems too good to be true but if it will work as they say anticipate it will, I'd love to get my hands on one.