Struggling with Gluten Free

Options
2»

Replies

• tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I keep it plain and simple. Feel free to add me as a friend for ideas.

Breakfast:
    -2 boiled eggs
    -2 boiled eggs, 2 pieces of bacon
    -2 scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach (cooked by the chef at our cafe at work), 2 bacon
    -Gluten free pancakes, 2 pieces of bacon (on Sundays)

Lunch
    -Grilled Chicken Breast, cheese, eggs salad with Ranch dressing (Hidden Valley Ranch dressing is Gluten Free so I bring my own).
    -Shrimp Scampi, baked potato with butter
    -Beef patty with cheese, pickle spears

Dinner
    -Baked chicken, baked garlic green beans
    -Bratswurst, cucumbers

Not alot of ingredients to deals with.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I concur with the Paleo/Primal books/sites. Regardless of your thoughts on the Paleo/Primal way of eating, they're guaranteed to be gluten free, and the vast majority will be dairy free, or can easily be made dairy free (if you need that). A large portion of them will also be on the lower-carb/low-GL side, as well, and the ones that aren't are pretty obvious (because they include things like squash, sweet potatoes, or coconut flour). I particularly love a cookbook called "Quick and Easy Paleo Comfort Foods" - it's full of grain free and largely lower carb foods that only take about half an hour to make, including soups, chili, and various meat and veggie dishes.

Your meals don't need to have a dozen ingredients in them, either. What's wrong with steak and salad (or a steak salad), or grilled chicken and asparagus? Or the contents of your favorite sandwich, wrapped in lettuce instead of on bread?

Here's a quick idea for a day's worth of food:

Breakfast: Omelette with your favorite veggies, cheese, and ham, bacon, or sausage (with safe additives), or a Bulletproof Coffee
    Lunch: Turkey lettuce wrap with favorite toppings, a piece of your favorite fruit (ideally something like berries or other low-sugar fruit), and some cottage cheese
    Dinner: Steak salad.
    Snacks (if necessary): Your favorite nuts (or homemade trail mix), hard boiled egg, yogurt, cottage cheese, jerky, apple slices and peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter), carrots and/or celery and cream cheese
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    To try to deal with the type 2 diabetes and eating low carb look at adding more healthy fats into your diet. One thing that really helps me stay satiated is to eat a lot of fat.

For example, try mixing in 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil into your oatmeal, and adding ground flax seed and nuts. It tastes so good and it will keep you satisfied.

When cooking veggies slather them in fat like olive oil, ghee, or butter. Try baking carrots in ghee...omg, so good! Or sauteeing kale or spinach with onions in ghee, or lots of olive oil.

Try yogurt. I especially like Fage yogurt or organic plain yogurt. Top it with nuts and flax seed. (I wish Fage was organic :-( ). Easy enough to buy a large tub and scoop some into a travel container and carry along a bit of toppings for it for a nice, easy snack. Or be more wasteful and buy the single serving mini containers.

Find some hemp seeds (high fat, high protein) and add them to things like yogurt, cereal, salads.

Try using chia seeds. I make "chia pudding" which is 1-2 tablespoons of chia seed soaked in milk (or milk substitute) overnight. You can add dried fruit like raisins or prunes during soaking too. Top with nuts in the morning. Super easy, tasty, and satisfying.

Trying cooking up a big pot of soup on the weekend (with plenty of olive oil) to eat throughout the week.

Make a casserole that you can keep in the fridge and eat for dinner and a few lunches for the week.

Look into some keto diets (high fat, extremely low carb) to get more ideas.
  • abrown4801
    abrown4801 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, after my competition a few weeks ago me and my coach decided that i should go gluten free. Ive stayed away from Heavy startches as well, so mainly in my diet ive done veggies,fruit, and lean protien & nuts.. and i have one word for it, SIMPLE!
    For breakfast i always like to change it up and make a Protien Mugcake or Protien pancake and then my meals through out the day are egg white scrambles loaded with veggies, spinach salads, and fruit salads.i feel great, keeps me full. and i usually make them the night before because there quick! :)