If every day were like today you'd weigh...

Options
Wondering how accurate the statement at the close of daily food tracking is. Some days per the statement I'll weigh 8 lbs less in 5 weeks other times I'll weigh 0.5 lbs less.

What has your experience been? A bit frustrating for me to think that I'm working hard for only a .5 lb loss in 5 weeks.

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I don't pay too much attention to that.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    Yesterday it said id weigh 240 in 5 weeks today it said 252. I really dont pay attention to it.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you eat/exercise for the rest of the 5 weeks. If you were to do exactly the same thing for 5 weeks, that's what you should weigh. It's strictly a calculation on calories in/calories out (3500 calories burned = 1lb lost). So if you reduce your calorie intake by 500 every day over your BMR and exercise 500 a day every day of a week, you should lose 2 pounds a week.
  • aedfit
    aedfit Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you eat/exercise for the rest of the 5 weeks. If you were to do exactly the same thing for 5 weeks, that's what you should weigh. It's strictly a calculation on calories in/calories out (3500 calories burned = 1lb lost). So if you reduce your calorie intake by 500 every day over your BMR and exercise 500 a day every day of a week, you should lose 2 pounds a week.

So my BMR is 1307 cals. Does that mean I should be eating only 800 cals per day?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

So my BMR is 1307 cals. Does that mean I should be eating only 800 cals per day?

The # MFP gives you already has a deficit built into it based on what you told it you want to lose.
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

This is exactly right on target. If you will follow if plan you will lose what you want to. God Bless, Brenda
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Mine was depressing yesterday. It said I would weigh 138.5 in five weeks. Ugh. If I recall correctly, though, the day before, it said I would weigh 130 in five weeks. I feel much better about the 130.
  • stephwoodward
    Options

The # MFP gives you already has a deficit built into it based on what you told it you want to lose.

And good gracious, I cannot imagine any scenario where ANYONE should only be eating 800 calories a day!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    ....and, if, like me, you've set a goal of 2#/week (because I'm impatient), and your BMR-500 puts you below 1200, then you get a different weight loss goal returned (1.3 #/week in my case.)

The lowest calorie goal I've heard of (from mfp) is 1200
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    800 calories per day is too low. :( That would most likely throw you into starvation mode.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    test it out. i did by writing on a calander the weight it said i'd be in 5 weeks if i did everything like "today" well that 5 week mark for me is on August 21st and i am already 1lb less than that. i have another date i'm testing now. it's sometime in september and it sure would be nice if that goal goes like this one did. i would recommend testing it with a day that you are not on your best diet behavior or your worst, something that's pretty average for you.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Not accurate at all. At least in my experience.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    test it out. i did by writing on a calander the weight it said i'd be in 5 weeks if i did everything like "today" well that 5 week mark for me is on August 21st and i am already 1lb less than that. i have another date i'm testing now. it's sometime in september and it sure would be nice if that goal goes like this one did. i would recommend testing it with a day that you are not on your best diet behavior or your worst, something that's pretty average for you.

That's a great idea! I've seen other people write that but I haven't actually tried it.... I might now just to experiment ;-)
  • Tonyv01
    Tonyv01 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

This is exactly right on target. If you will follow if plan you will lose what you want to. God Bless, Brenda

Ok so does that mean in order to lose the desired 2lbs you need to come under the calories list in MFP, and have an additional deficit from exercise? Or is the calorie goal set by MFP just based on the desired weight loss?
    In other words if I am under the calorie goal each day, but sometimes that is with the addition of the calories burned from exercise in order to get there, does that mean I ate too much?
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options

I did the same a few times and once it was completely accurate, the second was pretty darn close. It is just a guide though, it really depends on your future 5-week behavior
  • gibbsgirl
    gibbsgirl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, you don't subtract those calories from your BMR, you subtract them from your TDEE (total daily expenditure rate).
  • dcue103
    dcue103 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I certainly hope it is inaccurate. I would be working for little or no weight loss according to this. I have lost 56 pounds in approximately four and a half months so I just ignore what it says.:flowerforyou:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Ok so does that mean in order to lose the desired 2lbs you need to come under the calories list in MFP, and have an additional deficit from exercise? Or is the calorie goal set by MFP just based on the desired weight loss?
    In other words if I am under the calorie goal each day, but sometimes that is with the addition of the calories burned from exercise in order to get there, does that mean I ate too much?

No when you set your goals, you set a basic number for your calories burned from exercise (by telling them how long and how often). That was factored in. So if you don't do the exercise stated you won't see the goals you wanted. If you are doing more than what was set with your goals, and you eat those calories, you will stay on your goal.

So if you are under the calorie goal each day (even with the addition of your exercise calories) you are eating less than what you should to meet your target weekly loss. You will lose slightly faster than that. If you don't exercise OR go over your calorie goal by a little, you should still see a weight loss, but it will be slightly slower than what you wanted. If you don't exercise and go over your calorie goal by a little OR go over your calorie goal by a lot, you will either maintain or gain.

This is all really general and doesn't take into account any of the body's chemistry or how your body processes certain nutrients. There are other factors that come into play, like water retention, hormones, etc. But from a calorie in/calorie out model, that's the idea.

Every day will give you a different answer because you eat differently every day. Some days are better than others (and so the tracker will show you a better number on your better days). 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat lost.
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use it more for the negative reinforcement. I don't like looking at it when it says that I would weigh more then I do currently in 5wks. I started this journey because I passively gained 10lbs in 2months doing nothing. I know that the negative of the statement is VERY true. So I don't care really how little it says I will loose in 5wks, its the knowledge that it's saying I'd loose, even if I didn't exercise, didn't do a dang thing more then watch what I eat, it's saying I would loose...
  • whalertly
    Options
    all that it is telling you is that if you ate the same ammout everydY for five weeks this is whT you would way

in A you eat 500 cal less thAn required, you would be assumed to be eating re same deficit for all 35 days
    in B you eat the exact amount of your bmr, thus you would be assumed to eat the same everyday

it is not a matter of one day ba and the rest normal, but an extrapolation of that day BECOMING your normL