Here I Go Again.....

Options
I have been up and down this road too many times.....I lose 10-20 lbs and then gain it back again. (needing to lose about 50 lbs) I go all out the first couple of months then it fizzles.......I know in my head what it takes to get there but I seem to lose that JUST DO IT attitude after a couple of months. I end up slipping up and it all seems to spiral quickly................anyone else here have the same problem but finally had success. What was the turning point for you and how did you keep motivated?

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    After losing a lot of weight in grad school (maybe 40 lbs. between 1990 and 1996), I put it back on, and a little more, between '97 and 2008. At that point I decided to try what had worked before - more exercise, and "watching" what I ate. I fluctuated over the next five years between 205 and 220. I finally decided in January that I had to count calories, and fortunately, ran across MFP in my sister's copy of Consumer Reports. Since then I've taken off over 40 lbs.

The method that worked for me was strict calorie counting, along with being skeptical of the exaggerated exercise calorie burns from online calculators (fortunately, my favorite exercise, cycling, has been well studied, and there are better calorie estimators available for cyclists).

My motivations? Several. I'm getting more serious about long distance cycling in the hills, and every extra pound slows me down a lot when going uphill. My cholesterol and blood pressure are higher than they should be, and I don't want them to get to the point where I need medication. I was tired of having a big roll of belly fat sloshing around when I sit down.

The most important thing, though, regardless of your motivations, is having the will power to defer short-term pleasure in favor of long-term goals. If that bag of chips looks tempting, I now ask myself, how will I feel afterwards? and do I want to give up the steak and potatoes I plan to eat for dinner in order to eat the chips now? Planning out your daily menu can be a big help.

Good luck!
  • verasdaughter
    verasdaughter Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying.....I do think I need to plan better for temptations and really weigh out the consequences. When I do exercise I love it but seem to talk my self out of it too often...........I don't understand why something like exercise feels so good yet my mind thinks of excuses to do it tomorrow. I am planning on small goals rather than looking at the big picture and feeling like I'll never get there. Again thank you for the reply and congrats on your healthier lifestyle.
  • somethingnewjc
    Options
    well, i have yet to achieve my long term goal, but the approach that seems to work best for me is to think about what healthy improvements i can make that i feel i can do even on my "worst" day--what workout can i do even when i feel tired? how many calories can i limit myself to even when i feel hungry? what unhealthy foods can i eliminate from my diet without feeling it is a huge sacrifice... i think we can improve our healthiness a lot just by making improvements like this, and its a lot easier to sustain than trying to completely overhaul our whole life... i have found that in the past few months my workouts have gotten more involved and longer as my fitness has improved, but if i set out with the mindset that i had to workout 90 min almost everyday it probably would have seemed too much and overwhelming and that i just don't have the energy to do it, now i just allow myself the time to work out and if i feel tired or whatever i just don't push as hard and i am fit enough to get in my exercise even if i don't feel bursting with energy or super-motivated on a particular day...
  • verasdaughter
    verasdaughter Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think that's where I go wrong......I really go all out at first and it may be just too much at once. Thanks for responding. Also congrats on the world series. From St. Louis was a hard one to take but just happy to have gone.
  • ploppersdf1
    ploppersdf1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I go through the same type of periods. I'm like "yeah loose all of the weight." I go hard core I loose a few pounds and then i get bored almost. When I feel that happening I'll shift my calories to maintenance. So I get a break but I don't reverse the process.. It also helps me stay in the habit of logging. It happens a lot with me having a mood disorder. Like maybe about once every two months. When you feel the will to loose weight come back you're still ate the weight you were when you lost it and you're all set. I myself am trying to learn how to pace myself. It's really really hard but I feel like it will help me in the long run. Like with running. Instead of using all your energy in the beginning spread it out. But yeah that's what I do
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I struggled for 20 years up and down...then lost 80lbs in 8 mos. (nutrition/exercise only) and became a part time personal trainer, and due to personal drama, torn disc in my back, and turning 40 (hormones/stress), I gained 40 lbs. back! So it's a never ending battle, and when your mentally defeated it's hard, then add that to my injuries, it's harder!
    But we all have a choice, and I chose to keep fighting! :)
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    For sure! I lost 9kgs when I first moved and then jt slowed down and ground to a halt as I lost motivation. I have since jumped back on the band wagon two or three times more since then. I think you've just gotta keep jumping back on! Really go hard when you are on and focused and then don't slip backwards ie even though I am not currently loosing weight :( I am not gaining it either and therefore am still in a better place than I was 7 months ago