Critique my squatting form?

Options
I have just started doing squats with the dumbbell which took a lot of courage because I was nervous. The barbell is a little heavy but not extremely. I asked my mom to video me squatting because I wanted to ask you guys if I am doing proper form.She only took it from the side, not the back but I had my feet a little wider than hip width apart.

Is my form bad and if so, how can I improve it?

(you may want to mute the video)

http://tinypic.com/r/2dhh3t3/5

Replies

• MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Parallel in a squat is defined as the crease of the hip being below the top of the patella (kneecap). As you can see you're above parallel. So you need to get deeper. You may need to point you toes out slightly to help you achieve this. However, the rest of your form seems pretty good. Just keep your neck in a fixed position though. I'm sure you were just looking over at your mom to see what she thought though. Also, couldn't tell feet width, but shoulder width is about what you need.
  • LaurenEllexx
    LaurenEllexx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I will definitely go deeper next time and yes! She kept talking to me haha
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    relax. slow down.

breath.

And yes- deeper. think about squatting BETWEEN your legs rather than on top of them.

if it helps your ankle mobility- put to little 2.5 lb plates under your heels as you first start this. You also might need to either practice outside of that rack.. I know I can't do full depth squats in that type of squat rack. I have to use the power cage- or back out of those racks. I'm 5'8"... I'll bang the bar on full depth squats. :/
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I would:

- have a closer stance

- initiate with hips, not knees, on the way down.. otherwise your weight slides forward

- stand up fully between reps, squeezing glutes

- give 100% of your attention to yourself - ignore other people and the mirror

I would not go deeper until resolving those issues.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Your heels look like they may be coming up, but it's hard to tell. Your weight should be on your heels.

Knees look like they are caving slightly. Be sure to push them out on the way up.

And the whole parallel thing others mentioned.

As far as feet width- do what feels comfortable for you, but keep in mind that a wider stance will be harder on your hips (and that might not feel so right :wink: ) I squat with my feet a little wider than shoulder width with feel about 30 degrees.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    nice attempt. good for you!

Looks like you are leaning forward a little. try to straighten your back just a bit. it helps to look up a little at a high spot on the wall or something. also, make sure to keep your heels flat.

Before you know it, you'll be putting some plates on there! Good luck!
  • LaurenEllexx
    LaurenEllexx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I'll have t try to go down deeper. I may need to look up videos on this haha.

Yes my heels were coming up a bit and how can I not lean forward so much?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxpTIPP1Ioc

throw some little weights under your heels- and really push BACK- you should feel tension in your hammstrings as you go down.