DOMS...or not?

Options
I had a one hour circuit training on Thursday that focused primarily on the shoulders/back ie a ****load of TRX rows and push ups. A couple of hours after that, it started to hurt when I tried turning my head and I had to keep my shoulders rolled back all the time because keeping it at a neutral position hurts too. The pain is localised to the upper back region & it feels like something is about to snap if I forcefully stretch out an area that hurts. It's limiting my mobility and even lying down makes me wince with pain,

I've never really suffered from shoulders/back DOMS before so I don't know if this is normal. It's been 3 days now and I have a bodypump session tomorrow which again involves a lot of dead lifts, rows, OHPs, push ups etc. Is there a way to make the pain subside quickly or should I just skip the sesh? Is this how DOMS in the back/ shoulders feel like?

Thanks in advance guys :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Based on what you're saying, it sounds like something more than just DOMS. When I workout I'll be sore for a day or two after (sometimes, not always though) and while it's a soreness, it doesn't feel like anything is wrong so to speak, just a general muscle soreness. It definitely does not interfere with any daily activities to the point of stopping me from doing something, just makes you aware you did something the other day.

When you say something feels like its going to snap, that sounds like a possible injury. If you have pain that severe I would definitely skip the upcoming session until the pain subsides. If it doesn't go away after a while, you might want to get it checked out by your doctor. Hopefully it will just go away on its own after a little more time.

About a month ago I sort of messed up my rotator cuff by doing some dumbbell presses. It wasn't normal soreness, so I took it easy for a week or so and avoided that exercise and did other stuff instead. After a couple weeks it went away and now I can do them just fine with no issues. I think I tweaked something by using crappy form on my last few reps. But I knew right away that was not normal soreness or DOMS. If its a sharp or shooting pain like that, something is wrong, so you might want to hold off for a little bit or you may irritate it and make it worse.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you pulled a muscle at best :( Don't push it, definitely! Keep the blood flowing by doing walking or whatever, and take epsom salt baths or sports rubs and use a heating pad (not at the same time as the rubs). Get a sports massage if you can, where the practitioner knows about injuries :) I hope it gets better soon!

PS - We have the same tattoo! I've never seen someone else have it :) How cool.
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh mannnnnn this blows, was kinda hoping it was severe DOMS haha :indifferent:

Thanks for the input you guys :flowerforyou: Taking it easy seems to be the right thing to do. I might give it another week to see if it subsides otherwise a doctors' appointment will be on the cards.

@cafeaulait7 - oh wow that is heaps cool! Great minds think alike :bigsmile:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I had a one hour circuit training on Thursday that focused primarily on the shoulders/back ie a ****load of TRX rows and push ups. A couple of hours after that, it started to hurt when I tried turning my head and I had to keep my shoulders rolled back all the time because keeping it at a neutral position hurts too. The pain is localised to the upper back region & it feels like something is about to snap if I forcefully stretch out an area that hurts. It's limiting my mobility and even lying down makes me wince with pain,

I've never really suffered from shoulders/back DOMS before so I don't know if this is normal. It's been 3 days now and I have a bodypump session tomorrow which again involves a lot of dead lifts, rows, OHPs, push ups etc. Is there a way to make the pain subside quickly or should I just skip the sesh? Is this how DOMS in the back/ shoulders feel like?

Thanks in advance guys :flowerforyou:

It could be a trapped nerve.

DOMS usually makes itself known a couple of days afterwards as it is different from the normal stiffness associated with exercise.