any UK police officers? traffic question. UK Please..

Options
OllyReeves
OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
So I'm buying a car today, it has a current MOT, and I have taken out temporary insurance (my insurance company isn't open on Sunday so I can't switch it over until tomorrow)

The issue I have is that the car has no tax

What is the deal with driving it home? I know everyone I've ever seen on road wars or traffic cops says they just bought the car, but I'll have a receipt and insurance and it's tested. Will I be okay? Or will I get sent to the tower if I get pulled

Replies

• __Aid__
    __Aid__ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You should be ok , your allowed to drive to an Mot station without tax and you do have a sales receipt with todays date on
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If you've bought the tax disc online, it's fine as you have 5 days to display it in your vehicle.

I don't know if you've just bought it but you can take it for MOT without tax as you cannot always reneq it when MOT is due.

Should be alright if you don't get seen ;) haha
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    monopoly-go-to-jail-card.jpg
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    As far as I am aware in the UK, the only time you are allowed to drive a car without valid tax disc is to and from a booked MOT appointment.

How did you manage to test drive it with no tax?!
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys, the problem is that you can't tax online if you are not the registered keeper.

I test drove it round the back streets of Beckenham.

I drove it home with all the paperwork to show anyone that needed to see, MOT, Insurance and receipt lol, and didn't get stopped.

Taxed it at the post office this morning.....all legal :) And it's lovely :)