RDA vitamins, impossible with food?

Options
According to this website http://www.realsimple.com/m/health/nutrition-diet/vitamins/eat-vitamins-00000000009517/page5.html this is what you would need to eat every day to get your RDA of vit b6, vit b12, vit c, calcium, vit d, vit e, folic acid, iron, vit k, magnesium and zinc:

2oz sunflower seeds
1 cup plain yoghurt
Banana
3oz roast beef
Orange
8oz skimmed milk
2 Cup spinach
A fig
3.5 oz salmon
1 cup raw broccoli
Cup peas
5 asparagus spears
Cup lentil soup
3oz red meat
2 slice wholewheat bread
3oz almonds and raisins
3oz halibut
Baked potato
Cheeseburger on wholewheat bun

2,332cals
74g fat
297g carbs
120g sugar
152g protein
2502mg sodium

Does no one else think this is odd? Why would they set and RDA that is pretty much impossible for the average person? For most of us to eat that we would be over on calories and gain weight.

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Its just an example for average person who is not trying to lose weight. You can get the same amount of vitamins eating less calories.
    My TDEE is 2200-2400. I would not gain if I followed this plan.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    But it puts you over the RDAa they also set for calories, fat, sugar, salt and protein. Do you not think that's strange?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    They're not saying to eat all that, they're just listing examples of rich sources of each nutrient There's overlap of nutrients in many foods, so there's redundancy in that list. Example - if you eat broccoli for the vitamin E, you're also getting a lot of Vitamin C too and therefore don't need the orange. Makes sense?