really embarassing problem

Options
does anyone here suffer with severe constipation? I know it is a side effect of meds I have to take for illnesses I have and though I have plenty of fibre and roughage in my diet as well as taking IBS tablets I only go once a week if that

Replies

• jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    are you drinking enough water? i find that I don't have that problem when I drink at least 60 oz of water a day. A cup of coffee helps as well. Sorry to hear that. :(
  • foreverdieter13
    foreverdieter13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am just returning to MFP after watching Chris Powell on Dr Oz. My daughter also has medical issues and the meds cause severe constipation. She takes a stool softener twice a day and senna. Miralax was too bloating for her but our patients where I work have good results from it. My daughter's doctor ended up prescribing lactolose. Water and activity should also help.
  • DeeGreen1978
    DeeGreen1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    hi yeah I drink plenty of water. I even drink warm water as a friend said this will help but nothing is helping!!!! x
  • DeeGreen1978
    Options
    I am very active. I will try the senna and see if that helps x
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's a fairly common side effect of weight loss efforts. I had a terrible problem until I started using Disney fiber gummies. They are lifesavers! If you track your fiber in your diary, and make sure you get enough fiber every day (I use the fiber gummies to bring me up to my daily goal at the end of the day, depending on what I ate that day) then it will really change your life. I promise.

You can get the fiber from various other sources too (I hate the pills and I'm slack about the powders). I eat foods that are fiber-fortified like my tortillas for my wraps (13g of fiber!). I can't eat many fruits, veggies or grains, so I have to seek my fiber elsewhere and it IS doable with the supplements to bring you up to your daily goal.

HIGHLY recommended. :) (ETA: Also, WATER!)
  • DeeGreen1978
    Options
    I take a stool sofetener but may have to up my intake of it.x
  • DeeGreen1978
    Options
    thank you. I will try and get even more fibre in to my diet. I eat tons of fruit and veg daily. ive not been in 3 days and even then I only went as it had been 4 days and I had to take a laxative!!x
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Some fruits and veggies have surprisingly low fiber. If you track it for awhile, you'll get a sense of what is required. Using the gummy supplements makes it a breeze for me because gummies are a treat anyway and you can't tell they have any fiber in them.

Have really helped regulate me ... schedule-wise as well. :drinker:
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I take acidophilus tablets. They are for bowel health, and the goal was to take them daily, but I can't, they clean me out. I have a cast iron stomach and gut, which shocked me that a little culture (haha) would have such an effect on me. I have the target brand.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Once a week? Poor tummy! Here are my tips: First thing in the morning, before you touch food or coffee, drink 2 large cups of room temp water. Then have your coffee. . . with a Probiotic capsule.

When deciding what to eat for the day, plan on lots of fresh veggies. Also, eat veggies as your side dish/carb, instead of processed or starchy carbs.

And throughout your day drink lots of water. Before you eat your meal, drink two cups. Try to get in 12 cups of water a day.

Consider stopping eating by 8pm. Digestion is strongest in the morning. Also consider a digestive enzyme supplement to help your tummy digest better.

Get active, if you're not. Take a walk after every large meal. A minimum of 40 minute walks seem to make my tummy the happiest.

Good luck! Hope you get relief soon!
  • DeeGreen1978
    Options
    thanks ppl. I am fairly active each day, eat tons of fruit and veg and drink tons of water. I also take bowel supplements and softeners but I am going to up my intake of everything as it is just a joke how little I go!!!!!x
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Be sure and drink your daily water. I use mineral oil for those times. Take it at night and results in the morning. That is what works for me.
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would advice against using Senna. While natural, it can still be hard on your body. I've used it for quite some time (make that months) but it creates dependance, the effectiveness was slowly decreasing and it'd leave me bloated all day even if I'd go daily because of it.

I slowly backed off of it taking it once every other day and incorporated other things into my diet and daily habits to avoid taking laxatives again.
    While I still have some days where it's not really running smoothly (this mostly happens when I eat the wrong things) so far what really worked for me:

- Next to water, WARM liquids. Coffee (though in moderation) and teas, especially ones that contain spices, are great :)

- MAGNESIUM. Let me tell you this did wonders for me. All it does is attract water to the bowels, but it doesn't create dependence and icky cramps. I take 1000mg in the morning after breakfast and 1000mg 1-2 hours before bed, and make sure you'll drink water or tea after taking them before bed.

- Try also not to overdo your fiber. I used to obsess over it, averaging 30-40 grams a day, but it only makes bloating WORSE. I now only get 15-25grams a day and do much better.

- When decreasing fiber, INCREASE healthy fats. I eat a lot of nuts. Pecans, cashews and walnuts are especially good :)

- Keep an eye on your vitamin C!

- And usually, I try to avoid eating these as much as possible; they usually create problems for the following days after I ate them; white potatoes, a lot of onions, white breads, refined sugars, cheeses and milk that comes from cows.

Hope this helps :) I know how hard it can be!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough fats. Also, you haven't mentioned if you've tried coffee or not. That can definitely have an effect, especially if you're not a regular coffee drinker.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Have you discussed this with your doctor or pharmacist? My doctor and pharmacist are two of the smartest ladies I know.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried a straight fiber supplement, it might help...

http://www.nowfoods.com/Psyllium-Husk-Powder-24oz.htm

1 tbsp / day, and I usually mix it into 1/4 cp or so of apple juice + 3/4 cp water.

I generally get plenty of fiber through my diet, but skipping the Psyllium powder = bad news. :grumble:
  • DeeGreen1978
    Options
    I drink 3 cups of de caff coffee a day as I am intolerant to caffeinated coffee. i'm going to make an appointment with my doctor tomorrow. ive had this problem before and ended up having a scan at hospital. the doctor had never seen anyone so clogged up. I had to take the tablets i'm on now but this time they are having no effect at all
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am very active. I will try the senna and see if that helps x

Be careful with senna based products. It is typically safe for short-term use but can have long-term side effects in some people if used for more than a few weeks continuously.

I'd recommend seeing your doctor to make sure there isn't a blockage in your intestines, considering the lengths you've already gone to for regularity.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Prune Juice. Straight up or over ice. About 1/3-1/2 cup. It works. (Plug your nose & chug if you don't like the taste:laugh: )

:flowerforyou:
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have lots of problems with constipation :( What works for me is daily Miralax (I've been assured by both my family doctor and my ob/gyn that it's perfectly fine to take it daily) PLUS Citrucel 2 caplets 2 times a day (its a fiber supplement). Either alone does not work, I need the combination. Occasionally I also have to take 2 Phillips caplets if things aren't moving like they should. For me, it's important that I keep on top of it. If I go more than 2 days without movement, I take the Phillips; the longer I let problems go without fixing them, the harder the problem become to resolve.