Cant Burn

I used to go to the gym and burn 600 cals in a session. Now Im lucky if I can hit 400. I work my *kitten* off and sometimes it just feels pointless! Arg.

Stats:
Age 27
HW 267
LW 146.6
CW 150

Workout:
Cardio and weights.
4 days a week
I use polar ft4 heart rate monitor

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    If you wore 120 lbs of weights and did the workouts you used to do, you'd probably get that higher burn you used to experience when you were heavier. But since you've lost all that weight (good job btw) then you're just going to have to live with those smaller burns. Nothing wrong with 400 calories.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Exactly as the above poster mentioned...your body is smaller now, so you burn fewer calories. It is now more efficient:)
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    400 calories is good. If not good enough for you, increase workout intensity.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    You're smaller, lighter and fitter. That's what happens. :ohwell: And, I know you know it's not pointless. :flowerforyou:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Agreed with the Above but if you want to challenge yourself go to the Sporting Goods store and get a weighted vest.... They make them with interchanging weights to make them heavier or Lighter... I have friends that hike with them...... Just a thought :smile:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Agreed with the Above but if you want to challenge yourself go to the Sporting Goods store and get a weighted vest.... They make them with interchanging weights to make them heavier or Lighter... I have friends that hike with them...... Just a thought :smile:

Alternatively, load a backpack with too much gear for this hike. It will potentially look slightly less odd to be hiking w/ too much gear than to be hiking in a weighted vest (which can have a tendency to chafe a little).
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    IN with a can of petrol/gasoline and a match.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    I used to go to the gym and burn 600 cals in a session. Now Im lucky if I can hit 400. I work my *kitten* off and sometimes it just feels pointless! Arg.

Stats:
    Age 27
    HW 267
    LW 146.6
    CW 150

Workout:
    Cardio and weights.
    4 days a week
    I use polar ft4 heart rate monitor

Perhaps you could train for a goal?

A maximum calorie burn is not a goal.

A quality session where you are trying to improve on a metric (ie Strength, Speed, Endurance, Flexibility, Mobility, etc) is something that will ultimately satisfy you a great deal more than an arbitrary number (that is a rough estimate at best anyway).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    When you lose almost half your body weight it's going to be much harder to get a high calorie burn. Burning a ton of calories isn't really a very good goal anyway. Work on increasing intensity, weight lifted, distance run, etc. Those are all good milestones. Not calorie counts.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Zumba? From my feed, it seems to burn all the calories!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    double post
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    And if you're using a HRM for strength training you probably aren't even burning as much as you think since the algorithms for a HRM are set up for steady state cardio and exaggerate burns for strength.

Be happy, you could be a small, older woman and work your *kitten* off to burn next to nothing!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Most of the reason I'm not happy with my burn is because I've been at a stall for about 4 months. I still have a lot of fat to lose, so I know I'm not done yet.

I'm trying to change up my activities lately, I'm hoping this helps.

I know the number is arbitrary, but I push myself harder when I'm working towards a 'goal' of burnes calories.

I am just frustrated. These last pounds are going to be a *****!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    as you've lost weight and gotten older, have you adjusted the heart rate monitor settings?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Most of the reason I'm not happy with my burn is because I've been at a stall for about 4 months. I still have a lot of fat to lose, so I know I'm not done yet. ----1
    I am just frustrated. These last pounds are going to be a *****!

OOh OOh OOh.... Can I say it?
    You know someone will. Someone always does.

"Lift weights. Heavy ones."
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Well if you really want to aim for a high burn rate from cardio start rowing! I get the highest burn rate of all on the rowing machine.

Alternatives are longer duration or increasing intensity on what you are currently doing - run faster, more resistance on elliptical as examples. It can be too easy to settle into a pattern or comfort zone and without realising it you end up using increased fitness to make exercise easier rather than more intense. Set yourself some goals to push your limits.

Congrats on the 120lbs lost - seriously impressive. :flowerforyou:
  • SueSlick
    SueSlick Posts: 268 Member
    as you've lost weight and gotten older, have you adjusted the heart rate monitor settings?

Doh!! I would have never thought of that, but it makes sense!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    i'm sorry about your loss