Healthy Coffee

Options
I have been drinking coffee everyday for years and I load it with whole milk and caramel syrup which I know is so bad in many ways. I am starting a 30day challenge on November 11th and it is very important to me to not mess this up. So with that being said I am looking for advice on how to make my coffee in morning healthy one. I really do not care for sugar free syrup or flavoring. I was thinking maybe getting coffee like caramel cream by green mountain, is that okay and adding almond milk. I am looking for advice.

Replies

• madworld1
    Options
    I drink my coffee black with stevia.

If you add creamer, just be sure to stick to the serving size and log it. Almond milk is a good choice too. I'm sure some other coffee people will come along with good ideas for you. :)
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I drink flavored coffee. Black. No syrups. No dairy. I used to use sweet n low, but is was killing my stomach and causing acne.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I like a little maple syrup (the real stuff) in my coffee. It isn't a low calorie solution, however - 50 kcal per TBSP. For me, 1/2 TBSP adds the yummy taste I want. Plus cream (1.5 TBSP). This is my weekend coffee routine, weekdays just a little cream. Not sure that this will be your solution for healthy coffee...
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Does the nature of your 30-day challenge pertain specifically to your coffee? Otherwise, you should be fine simply accurately counting the calories in it and meeting your macros and calorie goals with the other facets of you meal plan.

Personally, I use non-dairy creamer, which comes in about 47,389 different flavors.
  • MMMM Coffee! I love my coffee. I like the french toast flavored green mountain although I have a hard time finding. It is my favorite.
    I like to use raw agave syrup in my coffee and a splash of whole milk. I think the agave isn't suppose to raise your blood sugar or so the book "the perfect 10" said. I think I need to read that again. I did really well on that and felt great. Good luck in your search.

A friend of mine is a prepper ( doomsday) lol , I think it is kind of funny but through this she decided coffee was one of the things she could not do without. Apparently raw coffee beans take up less space and keep longer than roasted. So she started roasting her own coffee in a skillet and said she really enjoys it. So I guess if you equate less processing with healthier you might want to give it a go!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I use to use a lot of creamer in my coffee too. I posted a "recipe" for the creamer I use now, which still has creamer in it - but it's nowhere near the sugar I used to drink in my coffee beforehand. I am so used to it this way now, that I cannot drink it with straight creamer now because it doesn't taste good.

http://healthfullygood.com/2013/10/coffee-creamer/
  • chrishunny
    chrishunny Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    I use stevia and unsweetened almond milk, heavy cream or half & half. I'm doing low carb, the heavy cream wouldn't be great if you use a lot but I find 1/2T to be enough.

I like green mountain flavored coffees. I LOVE Target's archer farms vanilla creme brulee flavor as well.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    What you're thinking about doing is fine. I just started drinking coffee so I could give up energy drinks(too many calories and they're expensive). I usually use a flavored coffee( I have options between pumpkin spice, caramel vanilla, and strawberry shortcake right now) and then using just one or two TBSP tops of whichever creamer I'm feeling that day(today was a pumpkin spice with 1 TBSP of Sweet Cream flavored creamer with three packets of splenda). Just keep trying out different ways to flavor/sweeten it until you find what you like that works for your needs :smile:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    stevia, cocoa powder, cinnamon, MCT oil, and sometimes butter
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I drink mine black, but I guess it took me a while to get there. Try cutting back on sweetener slowly and then cut back on the milk. That's how I did it.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I went from 3 creams 3 sugars a few years back to black. Takes a few weeks to get used to but once you do you'll never be able to drink those uber sweet "coffees" again.
  • @rllygudtw Man your sandwich picture makes me hungry! :devil:
  • adioschubs
    adioschubs Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The green mountain caramel vanilla cream coffee is very good. I do add sweetener though.
  • Wrreck
    Wrreck Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I drink mine black but my Mom has started using just a little coconut milk in hers recently. She's a creamer addict. lol
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I make my coffee healthy by adding heavy cream and butter to it. It is very yummy.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I went from a heavy fake creamer habit to black coffee by scaling back slowly; now black coffee seems more natural to me, lol. When I do put things in, I use measure out half an ounce of heavy cream and add a teaspoon of sugar; it's still not a *huge* amount of calories and is tasty. :D
  • shortnsweetbb
    Options
    I use to use a lot of creamer in my coffee too. I posted a "recipe" for the creamer I use now, which still has creamer in it - but it's nowhere near the sugar I used to drink in my coffee beforehand. I am so used to it this way now, that I cannot drink it with straight creamer now because it doesn't taste good.

http://healthfullygood.com/2013/10/coffee-creamer/

Thanks for this recipe! I will definitely be trying it soon!!! :)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    black
  • kgladney427
    kgladney427 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use pumpkin spice flavored coffee for the kurig, 2-4 Tbsp of fat free half and half (shop rite brand) and 1 tbsp. sugar. I'm doing weight watchers so it's only 2 points, or 75 cals
  • DrunkenFaeGirl
    Options
    I like to heat a small bit of vanilla almond milk, melt instant coffee and splenda into it, then fill it the rest of the way with my 8 oz of vanilla almond milk.