Your favorite vegetarian/vegan turkey alternative

Options
spud_chick
spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
I am no longer 100% veg and do eat turkey sometimes, but actually prefer alternatives to it at Thanksgiving. The readymade 'roasts' you can buy at the store are often not that great though, and some of the recipes I've seen have had very mixed comments. Anyone have a *personally tested* recipe for a centerpiece-type vegetarian or vegan roast? I'd like to make my own this year. Nuts, lentils, tofu, whatever--bring it on.

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i made chickpea cutlets last year and they were really good, using vital wheat gluten (good protein source). from the postpunkkitchen.

i hate the immitation fake meat. if you're gonna eat that then you may as well eat real meat lol.

the postpunkkitchen also has a lentil roast recipe that is decent
  • keem88
    Options
    and a seitan log that is pretty good too same website - theppk.com
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    I tried a sample of a vegetarian "turkey" roast at Trader Joe's yesterday. It was a roll and had stuffing inside. I was not impressed.
    Interested in responses since I will be looking for an alternative for several vegetarian that will be joining our family Thanksgiving.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat turkey or fake turkey for Thanksgiving when I have/go to gatherings (just do sides or something else entirely).
  • spud_chick
    Options
    I actually like Tofurkey and LightLife fauxturkey slices and use them for sandwiches at home. But the Tofurkey seasonal roast is usually not great and the gravy even less so.

A few years ago (2008 I think) I found some frozen cutlets, little breaded pretend turkey pieces filled with an actually tasty stuffing and cranberry sauce in the middle. They cooked up fast and well in the microwave or conventional oven and were very moderate in calories and fat. I liked that they were individual servings rather than a whole roast but still had a special main-dish feel to them. Best fake I've had, but I never saw them again after that. Can't remember the brand name. Found something I thought was the same soon after but was totally different and pretty awful.

Thanks for the suggestion about postpunkkitchen, will check them out.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'd make something that's, you know, not turkey. XD I dunno, I don't eat a ton of fake meats. I try them every once in a while, but I pretty much just try to omit meat when I can (certain family members do not believe in vegetarianism and I eat meat occasionally to please them. They're old and sickly - no reason to worry them.)

I'd like to make sundried tomato and basil zucchini boats with feta cheese around Christmas time. Try that. If you don't eat cheese...well, to be honest I don't understand vegans that don't eat cheese. It's too good for me to give up quite yet. XD
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to my tofurkey for thanksgiving. I "marinate" it with soy sauce and brown sugar.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    I'd make something that's, you know, not turkey. XD I dunno, I don't eat a ton of fake meats. I try them every once in a while, but I pretty much just try to omit meat when I can (certain family members do not believe in vegetarianism and I eat meat occasionally to please them. They're old and sickly - no reason to worry them.)

I'd like to make sundried tomato and basil zucchini boats with feta cheese around Christmas time. Try that. If you don't eat cheese...well, to be honest I don't understand vegans that don't eat cheese. It's too good for me to give up quite yet. XD

Well, I like the variety (and protein) the fake meats provide, and it keeps my husband from over-resenting the fact that I am still mostly veg and cook like one. I like my chosen fakes better than I ever did the real ones. And I do like the traditional Thanksgiving meal, just with everything lighter and with more vegetables. So a 'roast' of some kind feels called for, something special.

I stuff summer and winter squash all the time! One of my favorite ways to use snausage is a winter squash baked with lentil wild rice pilaf and snausage and provolone. I don't think I could give up cheese, it is my joy in life.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about the quorn and gardien turkey replacements but haven't tried them. Personally me and my sister love the traditional turfurky roast and we make sandwiches out of it after.
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Last year I made a butternut squash lasagne, and it was amazing! This year I'm thinking about baking a wild rice pilaf in a small pumpkin. I try to make something flavorful and healthy and different that everyone will try.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    I'm looking forward to my tofurkey for thanksgiving. I "marinate" it with soy sauce and brown sugar.

Do you buy the Tofurkey brand roast or make your own? I am seeing that some people out there call any tofu-based turkey substitute "tofurkey" even if it's home made, so I felt I must ask.
  • nerfherder83
    nerfherder83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We love Quorn Turk'y Roast (not vegan). I'm actually a meat eater but I love that stuff. By itself it isn't fantastic, but we pour Newman's Own Light Balsamic Vinaigrette over it with some Italian seasonings and pop it in the oven for about 45 minutes. The vinaigrette makes it super moist and gives it great flavor :)
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Tofurkey!

And the Tofurkey gravy ROCKS!!!!

Yes, it looks funny (my husband says it looks like a shriveled up gym sock) - but it's GOOD!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I made this a couple of weeks ago and it was stunningly delicious:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-meatless-loaf.html

I loathe quinoa so I used tvp, but it was delicious. I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I will totally make this again.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    I made this a couple of weeks ago and it was stunningly delicious:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-meatless-loaf.html

I loathe quinoa so I used tvp, but it was delicious. I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I will totally make this again.

That looks very hearty! Thanks, might give it a trial run this weekend. And I can find out how it freezes.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    We love Quorn Turk'y Roast (not vegan). I'm actually a meat eater but I love that stuff. By itself it isn't fantastic, but we pour Newman's Own Light Balsamic Vinaigrette over it with some Italian seasonings and pop it in the oven for about 45 minutes. The vinaigrette makes it super moist and gives it great flavor :)

I'll look around for it.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options

Do you buy the Tofurkey brand roast or make your own? I am seeing that some people out there call any tofu-based turkey substitute "tofurkey" even if it's home made, so I felt I must ask.

The tofurkey brand roast.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My husband marinates tofu in a bunch of seasonings, some wine and who knows what...I'll find out this year.

Last year the day AFTER Thanksgiving is when I decided to start eating pescetarian, so I haven't tried it yet. Smelled fantastic though...
  • keem88
    Options
    if you're gonna go with a pre made type of fake turkey, i prefer quorn meatless products over any of the other, they are soy free
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    it's not really a "turkey" replacement, but you could try making a nut loaf...and a good nut loaf is very good indeed!

I use 2 cups cashews, soaked over night
    2 cloves garlic
    2 sticks celery
    1/2 cup bread crumbs (rice flour also works if you're gluten free)
    nutritional yeast - 2 tablespoons
    enough water to bind it all together

method
    put everything in the blender/food processor and bake in loaf pan - medium oven until golden brown. when its done I turn it out of the loaf tin, smother it in barbeque sauce (let it soak in for a while) and serve it with vegan gravy.
    This is seriously delicious, I've served it heaps of times to carnivores and never had any leftovers...