Missing a day at the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    wow, there sure is a lot of hate on here.
    Clarification: I only went to the gym last week once and didn't go much the week before that. I find that I function better if I establish a schedule.

Also I use workouts as a form of stress relief and as a way to help curb my mental illness issues.

Also, honestly ... I feel like I've been doing really well to get healthy and I worry that every missed day is like one step closer to going back to old habits.

I can relate. I am a depression patient, and exercise is my medication. About 6 years ago I was doing really good going to the gym when my youngest broke his leg badly and had to be in a body cast for 5 weeks. I was his primary caregiver, so *I* could not go to the gym for 6 weeks. It totally threw me off my game, and I couldn't get back in the habit of going to the gym. This time around I went to the gym 5 days a week for 3 weeks to establish a routine. I cannot remember the last time I was at the gym less than 3x per week, and the thought of doing it scares me.

The last few months have been stressful on me, my father has been in and out of various medical facilities since Memorial Day, and is pretty much terminal. Two weeks ago my trainer strongly suggested that I take a week off to rest. I told him that I couldn't do that. What I did do was NO strength training for a week. I switched up my cardio routine and tried some new things.

Get your paper done, then get back to your exercise routine. Beating yourself up about the past is not going to make things any easier.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    30 day shred and a walk...you can find the 30ds on youtube (at least level one)

and why are you hating on her post it is a valid question-what workouts do you do when you cant go to the gym?
    No one is "hating" at all... jeez

OP, I saw you've been missing the gym a lot lately and it happens.
    I just got back into the swing of things myself.
    If you can't hit the gym today, take a 15-20 minute paper break and go for a brisk walk around your neighborhood.
    It'll be a nice sanity break from the paper and get you moving
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    30 day shred and a walk...you can find the 30ds on youtube (at least level one)

and why are you hating on her post it is a valid question-what workouts do you do when you cant go to the gym?

Actually, that wasn't the question she asked in the OP. Why are you hating in her question?
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I always go 6 days a week. I get annoyed when the Y is closed for a holiday or something (but I understand they have families too and I get that)... Friday is always my rest day so if I have something going on during the week and absolutely cannot make it that night, I just make it up on Friday. I hold myself accountable by writing all my days I do go on a calendar (marked with a Y). It helps me see my progress.
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    I have been so used to going 5-6 days a week and then I missed two days last week and freaked out. But actually as soon as I went back to the gym after 2 days off I worked out harder than ever. I think the 2 days off ended up helping me and I didn't realize it but maybe my body would like some more rest time than I allow.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I have been so used to going 5-6 days a week and then I missed two days last week and freaked out. But actually as soon as I went back to the gym after 2 days off I worked out harder than ever. I think the 2 days off ended up helping me and I didn't realize it but maybe my body would like some more rest time than I allow.

more time driving, less time lifting
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I workout 6 days a week. Most weeks. Occasionally it can't happen or like today I feel like crap and won't be getting a workout in. If I can't do a "legit" workout I play Just dance and walk the dog with my daughter so we are active together. I also make sure I am not over my calories for the day. I know i have to cut back then as my workouts typically give me a nice number to eat.

I also appreciate a rest day when they come.