Chinese Five Spice

Options
SunKissed1989
SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
Hi guys :smile:

I've got some dried chinese five spice in my cupboard and was thinking of using it in a stir fry instead of using a packet or jar sauce. Just wondering, how would I go about this? Do I rub it into my stir fry chicken/pork before frying it in the pan? Will I need to add water or anything else (like soy sauce or something)?
Any advice will be great - don't want that spice sitting in my cupboard going unused.

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I think you would just use it on the meat like any other spice mixture. I use it in baking a lot or things like fish cakes. But add it before cooking is usually the way to go. As far as adding water, I'd just play it by ear. If you're cooking it with veggies, the water in the veggies might come out and make enough of a sauce. But if it looks dry, maybe add some water. Or broth. Something a little milder than soy sauce at least for the first go around. But keep the soy sauce on the table just in case you need to add it later!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I use it two ways:
    * about a tsp dry per 4 oz of sliced or diced protein (fish, chicken, pork, beef) sprinkled over raw meat, and than stir fry with lots of veggies
    * in soupy noodle bowl dishes --about 1 tsp per cup added to broth before noodles and veggies are added (I'm particularly fond of very thin tofu shiritaki noodles made with low-sodium veggie or chicken broth and then whatever veggies I have on hand)

One caution: GO EASY!
    Until you know how potent your 5 spice powder is, use sparingly! It can be really overpowering if you use too much.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I like to make a marinade with 5 spice, a little soy sauce, rice vinegar, toasted sesame oil, honey, chilli, garlic etc. Marinate the meat for at least half an hour and then stir fry with vegetables. I usually use 1-2 tsp of the spices for 2 people.