Being a Runner

tommygirl15
tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi guys,
I've always had a bit of a desire to get into outdoor running but I have hesitations because I heard that 'pounding the pavement' can wreck havoc on your knees and joints over time. I know that it's important to have good shoes, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. I was planning on asking my sister (who is a long-term runner, and avid marathoner) when I see her today, but I've decided to extend the question to the MFP runners out there.

Also, any shoe recommendations would be fabulous! I'm really due for some new gym shoes anyways :)

Replies

• brookefoley
    brookefoley Posts: 104 Member
    I love to run. It's great exercise, and very motivating especially when you have someone to run with. It does do a job on the knees though. I can't recommend a particular shoe because it really depends on your foot and how it pronates, etc. I will, however, recommend that you get special socks for running that are made out of synthetic fiber and not all cotton. Nike has some great ones and you can get them at Sports Authority, ****s, etc. The socks really help in preventing blisters.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:

I am a new runner. I've been running for 3 years. Running shoes are specific to your individual foot. Find your local running specialty store and stop in and have your foot evaluated. They will measure your foot, watch you walk, and pick out a shoe that is just right for you. A good shoe will cost between $75-$100. I do not recommend spending more.

Definitely talk to your sister about running. Runner's love talking about running. She will be thrilled that you're interested in running.

If you decide that running is for you, be sure to check out the MFP Runner's Club. We're a friendly group of runners of all skill levels that of course love talking about running.:laugh:

best wishes,
    -Kechie.
  • tommygirl15
    Thanks, I will definitely look into the right socks :)
    So, you are agreeing that running is hard on the knees? Do you not worry about knee problems in the future? Does running slower (light jog, perhaps) make a difference?
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Running is hard on the knees. So is being (like me) 50 pounds above goal weight (which is probably an optimistic number, but I digress). So take those into consideration.

I'm running now for the first time in forever because I'm training to hopefully be able to pass the FBI fitness test. You can do great things for your body and stay a lot less-injured if you walk, especially uphill. Fast. Treadmills and roads will both help with that.

When running, try to start out on a rubberized track. Then when you're on your way, stick to blacktop/asphalt and nice dirt trails (watch for roots, etc.!). Concrete is murder on feet and joints.

Good luck!!

(And I agree with the shoe/socks recommendations!)
  • I've started running outside and it does make my knees sore. However, I've been reading Jeff Galloway's book/journal on running and he recommends beginning runners to do a one min. walk for every 5 min. you run. He claims it really reduces the amount of injuries. I started running the 1st time about 6 months ago and my knees were killing me. Trying this 5/1 ratio has seemed to help.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    So, you are agreeing that running is hard on the knees? Do you not worry about knee problems in the future? Does running slower (light jog, perhaps) make a difference?

If you have a lot of weight to lose, starting off walking first is a great idea. Also, starting on a treadmill will help take some of the pressure off. Walking is great exercise. Once you don't have a lot of weight to lose, a run/walk program like Couch to 5K is a great way to get started running.

I get this question a lot from nonrunning friends and family members.:smile: They think that pavement pounding will cause me to eventually need knee replacements from arthritis. The fact is if you run responsibly you are no more susceptible to osteoarthritis than nonrunners. Running responsibly means wearing supportive shoes, replacing them when they are worn out, rehabing injuries properly, incorporating cross training and rest days into your training schedule.

The number one risk factor for osteoarthritis is excess body fat. Not a problem for most runners. Sedentary, overweight people are at high risk for osteoarthritis.

Hope this helps,
    -Kechie.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    I've just started running. I've been doing the iphone app Couch to 5K. I'm currently on Week 3, Day 2, and had just completed Day 1 today. (Wk3 Day 1 was a killer but managed to push through to the end! :embarassed: ) I find that it's easier to run on the treadmill. I tried doing the app in the park and it was really tough, especially on the knee. (And I AM a beginner).
    I've just bought some new trainers that have a lot of cushioned support so that helps especially the Nike running socks! Thank goodness for those!! :smile:
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    At the beginning of the year, my friends and I decided to try running (along with massive amounts of zumba). MY friend's mom has been running for 12 years. She brought us to get running shoes, and socks. If you google "Sock Guy," the site will give you some really cool running socks to wear (I love them) Cotton is not the way to go for socks, as it will give you blisters over time.

Also, she helped train us using the Couch to 5K program. We used the program as a guide, and modified it along the way. I still have a lot to lose (around 45-50lbs) but the running is helping. Now I can run up to 30 minutes straight, at a slower pace mind you since I'm heavier than my friends, but it still worth it because I am running. Take it slow, and do what you can. Listen to your body, and modify if need be. In the long run it'll be worth it! :happy:
  • google couch to 5 k
  • tommygirl15
    All great responses, thanks everyone! :)
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    I've been running for a few months. Everyone's responses were fantastic, but I did want to add...

Check out Runner's World Shoe Page:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-240-0-0-0,00.html

I could not have begun to buy a pair of shoes without it. It really gives you lots (maybe more than you need right now) of info on shoes & how your foot strikes the pavement.

I was at a loss for shoes....no one here to fit feet for runners *rolls eyes @ small towns*

And you know what...you will LOVE it - start slow but one day, you'll be FLYing! :bigsmile:

P.S. I second, third & fourth the sock issue. Nike has fabulous runner's socks!
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Running is harder on some peoples knees than others. I think a lot of it has to do with genetics rather than overuse. I know plenty of people with bad knees that have never run a step since they were twelve years old. Then there are others like me that have run thousands of miles over the years and have no knee problems at all.

Other than the advice you've already received I would say that the most likely time to sustain an injury is when you are just starting out running (and your body hasn't yet adapted) and later when you're increasing mileage and intensity in order to achieve a particular goal.

Oh, and running form is very important also. If you are overweight and out of shape you will have a tendency to come crashing down with each step and yes, this is hard on your knees, and ankles, and hips...well, you get the picture. Take it easy in the beginning, strive for a smooth flowing form, i.e. try not to bounce up and down. Be light on your feet and you will feel yourself getting lighter as you get in better running shape.
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Bump!!!
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Actually, a recent study (I don't have the citation right handy) showed that long-term runners had no more knee problems than people who do other kinds of exercise. In fact, in many cases, the runners had better knees. If you start slow, increase mileage gradually, make sure you have good form, and treat any injuries right away, there's no reason that running has to be hard on your knees (or any other part of your body). Just TAKE IT SLOW when you first start running. If you don't run at all right now, I'd recommend a couch-to-5K (also called C25K) program or the Galloway (run-walk) method.

It took me the better part of 3 years to get to the point where I could run three miles straight. (I wasn't focusing specifically on getting to be a better runner--I was doing a lot of other exercises too--so it doesn't have to take that long. I've gotten from 3 miles to 13 miles in the last year.)

I asked a friend of mine at work (a lifetime distance runner) some advice once. The best advice he gave me? "You have your whole life to get in shape. Don't rush it." You won't win any prizes for increasing your distance fast--and you're much more likely to hurt yourself if you rush things.
  • tommygirl15
    Actually, a recent study (I don't have the citation right handy) showed that long-term runners had no more knee problems than people who do other kinds of exercise. In fact, in many cases, the runners had better knees. If you start slow, increase mileage gradually, make sure you have good form, and treat any injuries right away, there's no reason that running has to be hard on your knees (or any other part of your body). Just TAKE IT SLOW when you first start running. If you don't run at all right now, I'd recommend a couch-to-5K (also called C25K) program or the Galloway (run-walk) method.

It took me the better part of 3 years to get to the point where I could run three miles straight. (I wasn't focusing specifically on getting to be a better runner--I was doing a lot of other exercises too--so it doesn't have to take that long. I've gotten from 3 miles to 13 miles in the last year.)

I asked a friend of mine at work (a lifetime distance runner) some advice once. The best advice he gave me? "You have your whole life to get in shape. Don't rush it." You won't win any prizes for increasing your distance fast--and you're much more likely to hurt yourself if you rush things.

Thanks, that is definitely great advice! I'm not new to running, but I think I'll try the C25K program to get started and re-train myself properly. I'm looking forward to this! :)
  • disneyfetishboy
    disneyfetishboy Posts: 65 Member
    Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet - another alternative is to try barefoot running. There's a bit of recent research that indicates it is more biomechanically correct and reduces the impact on your back, knees, and feet. Some of the research is captured here, by Harvard University: http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/5BarefootRunning&TrainingTips.html

I run barefoot or with minimalist, barefoot-training shoes and have progressed faster than I would ever have imagined.

It's not something for everyone, but it's definitely something I would recommend you consider.

If you're a reader, you might also want to pick up "Born to Run", which has ushered in a whole new gaggle of runners who suffered from or feared injuries from the pounding.

Best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.