Fit Pregnancy

Options
I have been working out at least 3-4 times a week before I found out that I was pregnant. I'm around 6 weeks at the moment and my doctor has advised me not to do any exercises that would get my heart rate up (he didn't give me a certain number to avoid) or make me breathe faster than normal. At first, I was really bummed out because I want to have a healthy pregnancy... Jumping jacks and running are out.. Per OB's orders.

So far the exercises that are "allowed" are things like walking, Pilates, and yoga. Any other ideas? Any suggestions? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• frankiedb
    frankiedb Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! :)

Maybe just work on your flexablity and broaden your knowlegde on total fitness this way when you're ready to come back you're a pro.
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can hardly see how your doc can object to water aerobics. If you are not really out of shape it is pretty hard to get your heartrate up, and if you start to suspect you are then you can modify like a lot of the ladies are doing. How about hula dancing, ballroom dancing, or belly dancing?
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Most friends I have known who are pregnant could keep up their pre-pregnancy exercise -- but not go beyond that... a very pregnant woman ran a small 5K I was in the other day... and I know someone who ran a 1/2 marathon pregnant.

You might want to ask a few more followup questions with your doctor and ask specifically what she/he recommends for exercise over the coming months.
  • Rhiannonangharad
    Options
    Congratulations!

You should have a look at this website www.fittamamma.com
    They have great fit pregnancy ideas, recipes and even clothing.

My friend showed them to be when she was pregnant, we train together and I was wondering where she was getting all this pregnancy advice from! She used their website like a bible!

i had a look, and it seems pretty good! The clothing is really nice, she wears the gentle support top to yoga and its looks really nice!

Hope this helps and you enjoy a fit and healthy pregnancy!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have been working out at least 3-4 times a week before I found out that I was pregnant. I'm around 6 weeks at the moment and my doctor has advised me not to do any exercises that would get my heart rate up (he didn't give me a certain number to avoid) or make me breathe faster than normal. At first, I was really bummed out because I want to have a healthy pregnancy... Jumping jacks and running are out.. Per OB's orders.

So far the exercises that are "allowed" are things like walking, Pilates, and yoga. Any other ideas? Any suggestions? :flowerforyou:

I'm guessing there's a medical reason he's advised you against getting your heart rate up, as this is not a normal request made for expecting women. We can suggest exercises all day long, but we cannot tell you what is "safe" for you to do.
    Please, err on the side of caution and listen to your doctor. Go to him if you're looking for acceptable ways to exercise at this time.
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    I am currently 10 weeks and my doctor encouraged me to work out! I was working out with a personal trainer two times a week and she highly encouraged me to continue doing whatever activities I was prior to getting pregnant as long as I had been doing them for at LEAST 6 months prior. I simply can't increase my weight. I have lowered my weight on many things, but increased my reps, I drink G2 Gatorade during my workout to replenish my sugars and carbs. The main concerns are doing lower body excercises that use your lower abdomen muscles and legs because as you do them, oxygen gets taken to those muscles instead of to the baby. So I stick to just body weight lunges, no weighted squats, box step ups. Just avoid any workouts that have you lay on your back or stomach. I don't do any HIIT or do anything that I will struggle catching my breath afterward. Jogging while pregnant is very healthy if you were doing it prior to getting pregnant.

It's actually very odd that your doctor would not encourage working out...it's truly one of the best things you can do for you and your baby. AGAIN... this is ONLY if you were doing it for at least 6 months prior to getting pregnant!