Why is Potassium SO hard to find?

UGH. I've heard potassium can really help with bloating and water retention, which I have often because of my love for beans and sodium. (Damn soup!) I can't find anything that would help me nab more potassium without a ton of calories! Any ideas?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Avocado has a ton. Just use it as a spread on sandwiches.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    But the daily need is 3500, and even one whole avocado is only around 750! How are we supposed to get all that potassium and stay under 1300 calories! Holy hell...that's ridic.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Walmart has some.
  • MaiLinna
    I'd have to eat 5 avos every day, and that's all I'd be allowed to eat. -_- That's crazy.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Pork has tons of it. Yogurt can have a lot, too, for the calories. And bananas.
  • archoo_letsdothis
    archoo_letsdothis Posts: 90 Member
    Banana, dry fruits , beet greens , honey and every thing has potassium.
  • GardeningZombie
    GardeningZombie Posts: 55 Member
    http://www.health.com/health/m/gallery/0,,20721159_2,00.html

This source indicates chili is your friend! With tomatoes, white beans, and topped with a bit of avocado like previously suggested, you will have a fantastic source of potassium.

Though as far as vegetable trends go, it seems the flesh of a vegetable, rather than the leaves are the best source.
  • MaiLinna
    Never mind, potassium is hard to find because it will kill you. kk problem solved.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    good question, supplement would probably be the only way and still keep within your goals

Potassium: The Sources

Citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruits. One cup of orange juice contains 500mgs.
    Fish, especially halibut, tuna and flounder (all contain 400mg+ per serving)
    Beets, 1 cup of beets is approximately 15% of your daily potassium dose
    Bananas each contain 450mg of potassium
    Tomato or prune juice
    Honeydew melons
    Lima beans, 1 cup contains 1000mgs
    Baked potatoes contain nearly 900mgs
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Definitely agree with the people who say bananas.

Salt substitutes are often potassium chloride, which would help with the potassium. My father used to use salt substitute because he was concerned about sodium intake, but now he uses it more because of the potassium--he wants to prevent muscle cramping after his 90-120 minute workouts. Having tasted potassium chloride accidentally (was trying to figure out what was in the decorative salt shakers for the Seder table), I can't recommend it on taste, but maybe it's more tolerable when actually put on food.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Spinach, fish, potato. I'm heavy on protein and potassium, creep my diary if you like.
  • simplypanda
    simplypanda Posts: 15 Member
    I take a potassium supplement. There isn't a lot in it... only 3% of your daily need, but it helps me. I order it from iherb.com. If you happen to make an order there, pm me, and I'll give you a code to save some money!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Its in almost everything it just might not show up in the MFP nutrition data. Foods that are particularly high in potassium: swiss chard, beans/legumes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas. Almost all fruit and veg have some amount of potassium, along with fish, and dairy. Its nearly impossible to be deficient in this nutrient in any range of diets. :) hope this helps
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
    Check out:

http://potassiumrichfoods.com/

Keep in mind also that potassium isn't required to be listed on nutrition labels. (Kinda dumb if you ask me) So a lot of foods in the MFP database and elsewhere will erroneously list a food as having no potassium when in fact the food is a good source of potassium. To address this, many potassium-minded MFPers add potassium to the name of the food in the database. My morning java is listed in MFP as "Homemade Black Coffee - Brewed (W/Potassium)" (Three cups of black coffee have as much potassium as a medium banana)

I would not take potassium supplements however. Much better to get it from foods.
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    I was surprished about radishes, it all adds up!
  • GardeningZombie
    GardeningZombie Posts: 55 Member
    I just created a hypothetical meal plan in here. 3,697 mg of potassium, 667 calories. It goes as follows:

Breakfast:
    1 medium banana
    1 8 oz serving dannon lite and fit yogurt

Lunch:
    2 5.5 oz servings low sodium v-8 juice

Dinner
    I baked sweet potato, with skin. 180 g

Snacks
    Dried apricot pieces, 10

I did notice that people may not always fill these things out correctly for potassium so be vigilant.

Good luck!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    It's just not listed in most nutritional facts. You could just search google.

Red meat, chicken, white potato, spinach are all great sources.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Bananas?
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    I just created a hypothetical meal plan in here. 3,697 mg of potassium, 667 calories. It goes as follows:

Breakfast:
    1 medium banana
    1 8 oz serving dannon lite and fit yogurt

Lunch:
    2 5.5 oz servings low sodium v-8 juice

Dinner
    I baked sweet potato, with skin. 180 g

Snacks
    Dried apricot pieces, 10

I did notice that people may not always fill these things out correctly for potassium so be vigilant.

Good luck!

That's a meal plan? Holy crap. No wonder I'm fat!
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    mortons low sodium salt.