Fresh Vegtable vs. Friozen Vetgtables

Options
I was wondering if calorie wise there is a difference between frozen vegtables and fresh vegtables?

I know fresh are healthier for you but as an example say I buy frozen asparagus and steam them is there a difference?

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Nope. fresh and frozen are both perfect, as long as there are no additional ingredients.

Of course I love my fresh veggies but sometimes the frozen bags are all I have.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    On Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution that was on awhile back, he actually talked about how frozen veggies have more nutrients than the fresh ones that you buy in the grocery store. He did say that fresh from a farmers' market or your own garden were best. His reasoning was that the frozen ones were allowed to naturally ripen and then frozen at their perfect ripeness. The fresh ones in the store were picked while still green, and some of them get gassed so they look ripe while others just ripen during the trip to the store.

I haven't taken the time to research this much, but I know that some of frozen veggies TASTE better to me than the fresh from the store.

Just my 2 cents, which in today's economy won't get you anything!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    On Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution that was on awhile back, he actually talked about how frozen veggies have more nutrients than the fresh ones that you buy in the grocery store. He did say that fresh from a farmers' market or your own garden were best. His reasoning was that the frozen ones were allowed to naturally ripen and then frozen at their perfect ripeness. The fresh ones in the store were picked while still green, and some of them get gassed so they look ripe while others just ripen during the trip to the store.

I haven't taken the time to research this much, but I know that some of frozen veggies TASTE better to me than the fresh from the store.

Just my 2 cents, which in today's economy won't get you anything!

Most dietitians agree that "frozen is better". You could say that there is "nutrient deterioration" from the moment produce is picked. By their reasoning, the flash freezing process used these days preserves more nutrients. In today's world of more rapid transportation, I'm not sure that is still as true as it once was (I've been hearing this from dietitians for 25 years), but that's the professional thinking.

I think the move by many grocery stores to obtain their produce from local sources and/or patronizing farmer's markets lessens the advantage of frozen foods. In any case, I find the difference in taste from fresh to frozen is significant, so I'll take my chances with the fresh stuff.....:wink:
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but I know the vegetables I grow in my garden all taste way better than store bought. Even my two kids (2 &3) notice a huge difference. We rarely eat frozen (other than corn or peas) It inspires me to plant a huge garden and we eat fresh produce for about 5 months of the year (potatoes for about 9 months). The rest of the time I am stuck with home canned or store bought.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Try as I might to only buy as much fresh as I need, some of it still goes to waste -- I had to toss 1/4 of a watermelon because it went bad before I had the chance to eat it all. Fruits that hold up better I can put in my dehydrator and store the dried fruit in the freezer for winter, but veggies are a little harder.

I usually buy frozen so I can have a wide variety to choose from without wasting money in spoilage.