Calculating calories burned

Options
I've noticed some differences between MFP's calculator and my Polar FT4 as far as calories burned during exercise. Which is more accurate? I tend to go with the lower number so I'm not cheating myself.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Always go with your HRM for any steady state cardio activity.
  • Firefighter4ever
    Options

This is what I was thinking but it usually shows a higher calorie burn than the MFP does.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

This is what I was thinking but it usually shows a higher calorie burn than the MFP does.

This is what happened with me, too. Try going by the HRM. If this doesn't seem to be working weight loss wise after a few weeks, you may wat to lower it and use MFP estimate. I did well with the HRM numbers.
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I go with my HRM. MFP doesn't know what my heartrate did during my workout to accurately calculate burned calories. However, I can see the benefits of using the lower burn to more closely watching your eating!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    MFP usually overestimates their calorie burns, but I've also heard that heart rate monitors can overestimate and underestimate as well. I guess it's all pretty much estimates anyway. :)

As for me, I choose not to use a heart rate monitor but I don't use MFP estimates very often because their numbers are usually way higher than what the elliptical and stationary bike, both of which require weight and age input. I use my Footsteps pedometer for running and walking, which requires weight, height, and age, and their estimates are also way lower than MFP, therefore I use the numbers from my pedometer.

I've been losing weight just fine so, in my experience, the elliptical and stationary bike calorie estimates seem accurate enough and my Pedometer calorie estimate seems more accurate than the treadmill.

Maybe I'll try a HRM someday, though. :smile:
  • Firefighter4ever
    Options
    MFP usually overestimates their calorie burns, but I've also heard that heart rate monitors can overestimate and underestimate as well. I guess it's all pretty much estimates anyway. :)

As for me, I choose not to use a heart rate monitor but I don't use MFP estimates very often because their numbers are usually way higher than what the elliptical and stationary bike, both of which require weight and age input. I use my Footsteps pedometer for running and walking, which requires weight, height, and age, and their estimates are also way lower than MFP, therefore I use the numbers from my pedometer.

I've been losing weight just fine so, in my experience, the elliptical and stationary bike calorie estimates seem accurate enough and my Pedometer calorie estimate seems more accurate than the treadmill.

I use the HRM for my 'run' training but recently started the Insanity DVD's so I wanted to know I was in my safe range for this new adventure. I ran 5k this morning and was about 7 beats under my normal rate so I'm pretty sure I've upped my cardio capacity since I started the Shawn T program. I'm happy.
  • kennymatthew
    kennymatthew Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HRM?
  • Firefighter4ever
    Options
    HRM?

Heart Rate Monitor. It's your best friend for exercising. Get one!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I use the HRM for my 'run' training but recently started the Insanity DVD's so I wanted to know I was in my safe range for this new adventure. I ran 5k this morning and was about 7 beats under my normal rate so I'm pretty sure I've upped my cardio capacity since I started the Shawn T program. I'm happy.

That's wonderful! Happiness is the key. :smile:
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM, I feel it is more accurate than a once size fits all guestimate from MFP.