Pulled muscle/tendon while running

Options
Hi everyone!

I am new here. I have started running long time ago, about two - three years ago to get fit and toned. Last year around spring time I had pulled my right knee tendon while running. The tendon that connects the knee and thigh together, not really sure what the tendon is called. I went to the doctor, he said to take a 3 month break and do the stationary bike ONLY. I took a 3 month break from running, until July and began running again. I usually run 4-5 miles 5 times a week, at an incline of 1.5 speed of 5.5-5.9

I started running to lose unwanted pounds and to get toned or a more defined figure. So, about 3-4 weeks ago, I started to get pain again on the my right knee. The pain goes from the side of my knee all the way to my right hip. Took 2 days off from running, and ran again, seemed fine the next day, so I ran again. Then I felt so much pain the next morning and stopped running for 3 days.

I looked online that if you pull a muscle on your thigh to run at an incline. So now when I run, I run at an 2.5-3.0 incline at a speed of 5.3-5.4 because it is sometimes unbearable to go past a 5.5 speed. I usually do a 5 minute warm up walk, then run for 10 minutes, walk 3 minutes, run again till I reach 3-4 miles. Plus, I MUST have a knee cast on or I cannot run at all. I take about one day break in between, the non-running days I use the stationary bike or do turbo jam.

So my question is, do you think I should stop running? Or should I just walk instead of running? What are good exercises to help my knee/thigh get better? I really dislike the stationary bike because I feel like it is not doing anything for me, yeah its good for the legs and thigh but I just don't feel like anything is working. Please help me! Thank you so much.

Replies

• Firefighter4ever
    Options
    Listen to your body. I'd find some comfortable elastic bracing to help keep your parts together and take it easy until ya heal.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Stop doing things that hurt. Seriously. If walking feels okay, do that, or switch it up to bicycle or swimming. If nothing feels good then quit working out altogether for awhile. Your leg obviously needs a break. You should probably see an orthopedist too. I let an annoying pain in my ankle go for ages before I finally saw my orthopedist and discovered that the cartilage was completely torn. Go figure.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I am new here. I have started running long time ago, about two - three years ago to get fit and toned. Last year around spring time I had pulled my right knee tendon while running. The tendon that connects the knee and thigh together, not really sure what the tendon is called. I went to the doctor, he said to take a 3 month break and do the stationary bike ONLY. I took a 3 month break from running, until July and began running again. I usually run 4-5 miles 5 times a week, at an incline of 1.5 speed of 5.5-5.9

I started running to lose unwanted pounds and to get toned or a more defined figure. So, about 3-4 weeks ago, I started to get pain again on the my right knee. The pain goes from the side of my knee all the way to my right hip. Took 2 days off from running, and ran again, seemed fine the next day, so I ran again. Then I felt so much pain the next morning and stopped running for 3 days.

I looked online that if you pull a muscle on your thigh to run at an incline. So now when I run, I run at an 2.5-3.0 incline at a speed of 5.3-5.4 because it is sometimes unbearable to go past a 5.5 speed. I usually do a 5 minute warm up walk, then run for 10 minutes, walk 3 minutes, run again till I reach 3-4 miles. Plus, I MUST have a knee cast on or I cannot run at all. I take about one day break in between, the non-running days I use the stationary bike or do turbo jam.

So my question is, do you think I should stop running? Or should I just walk instead of running? What are good exercises to help my knee/thigh get better? I really dislike the stationary bike because I feel like it is not doing anything for me, yeah its good for the legs and thigh but I just don't feel like anything is working. Please help me! Thank you so much.

If running is making it worse: stop running!

It's not necessary to run to lose weight. Do some other activity that is non-harmful to yourself instead. Remember: nobody HAS to do anything. There are many roads that lead to Rome.