Frying pan nightmare

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Oh man. I'm getting so frustrated. I had some old pans that hadn't cost a ton two years ago, the non stick layer was pretty much gone and couldn't even cook eggs without them sticking, so I decided to buy a new pan. First one was a nice titanium pan from Denmark, wasn't cheap, second time on the stove it took fire. Yesterday I bought some calphalon pans, great reviews... Eggs not only totally stuck, but it took me 5 minutes to clean it off, and the pan was still hot!

I'm getting frustrated. Is it impossible anymore to fry some eggs without butter or oil?

Replies

• kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not your technique? If you're having trouble with your nonstick pans, spray a little cooking spray on there and you'll be good to go.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to spray the pan.

I also use a ceramic pan for eggs sometimes.
    Sometimes www.home.woot.com has pots & pans...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Use some oil, that is an integral part of frying, plus it adds flavor. If you insist on frying dry, expect mixed results. You could add a spray, not that I think their good or normally suggest someone use them, but for the relief they may give for someone that believes oil isn't a necessary part of frying/sauteing....... don't beat yourself up over small amounts of tasty fat.:smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i use a non stick pan with a heavy copper bottom... and oil... nothing sticks!
  • BigCupOTea
    Options
    Turn the heat down, you don't want screaming hot. Warm the pan and cook the eggs slow.
  • googlebear123
    Options
    if you're doing scrambled eggs just microwave them
  • Francl27
    Options
    Turn the heat down, you don't want screaming hot. Warm the pan and cook the eggs slow.

It was low :(
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ceramic or cast iron. Cast iron needs to be seasoned really well. Need a bit of oil or butter, I recommend butter.

Not necessarily. Heat level is personal preference, you just have to keep a closer eye on them with higher heat.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I have had the best luck in buying a cheap teflon non stick pan (i try and find one with a decently thick bottom at least- but the cheapest one). Use it and abuse it - then get a new one when the coating starts to not work. Usually lasts around 6-12 months I find (daily use). Thus far have found it to be just as cheap as buying more expensive non stick pans in the long run (since the coating on those is just as easily damaged).
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I cook my eggs in the microwave. If I want it to be like "fried," but thoroughly cooked, I just crack one into a cereal bowl, put a paper towel over the top (very important if you don't want to be cleaning up a mess) and cook it for a minute (my microwave is an 1100 watt, so you might have to raise time if yours is lower wattage). If I want it scrambled, then put 1-2 eggs in a cereal bowl, stir in a little water, whip a little w/a fork. Again, cover w/a paper towel...cook for 30 seconds, stir, cook for another 30 seconds, & stir, repeat again if it's still runny. Makes really fluffy scrambled eggs. both of these methods with no oil/butter, & less mess. Unless you have a good dishwasher, then it's also a good idea to soak the bowls in water when you're done eating the eggs.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have some ceramic pots and I never use oil. My husband has gotten frustrated with them though because the larger pan began sticking a little. The pan I cook eggs in doesnt stick and I have never used oil. I have had these for about a year. They are ceramic pots I got from bed bath and beyond and the are red. They don't have the metal screw heads inside the pan so there is not a problem with anything sticking to that part either.
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    I use Wearever pans (http://www.wearever.com/WearEver/Cookware/cookandstrainnonstick/Pages/CookStrainNonstick.aspx) that were given to me for Christmas a few years ago. What seems to work for me is to heat the pan on medium for about five minutes before putting the eggs in. I use Trader Joe's Cage-Free Egg Whites and they rarely stick badly. I never use oil.

Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Use left over bacon grease instead of butter or oil.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Just spray Spectrum grapeseed or olive in pan. Works perfect every time and doesn't add cals.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Just spray Spectrum grapeseed or olive in pan. Works perfect every time and doesn't add cals.
    Where did the 700+ calories most sprays contain go if they don't add calories.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    sounds like the heat is too high or you're rushing it... I've always been taught,

non stick - Med heat or lower for most things

stainless steel - Med heat or higher for most things
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Use left over bacon grease instead of butter or oil.

This!!
  • jodi41086
    Options
    I bought a 15$ one from walmart and food just slides off.. maybe go cheaper lol
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Oh man. I'm getting so frustrated. I had some old pans that hadn't cost a ton two years ago, the non stick layer was pretty much gone and couldn't even cook eggs without them sticking, so I decided to buy a new pan. First one was a nice titanium pan from Denmark, wasn't cheap, second time on the stove it took fire. Yesterday I bought some calphalon pans, great reviews... Eggs not only totally stuck, but it took me 5 minutes to clean it off, and the pan was still hot!

I'm getting frustrated. Is it impossible anymore to fry some eggs without butter or oil?
    i also find that the cheaper ones work better (this is only in the past few years). I sometimes use a drop of oil and sometimes use no oil. Medium heat - too high doesn't work, too low doesn't get them cooked.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I bought a 15$ one from walmart and food just slides off.. maybe go cheaper lol

Seriously!