2»

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    A caloric deficit combined with heavy lifting strength training

^This.
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Thanks guys, I did a 30 minutes strength training routine this morning and will continue doing cardio along with that... I already did some circuit training. I have some 5 pounds dumbells at home. Starting with that as I am pretty new to this. Asked for 8 and 10 pounds ones for christmas and a kettle bell.

Will look at the book.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    A caloric deficit combined with heavy lifting strength training

^This.
    ding ding ding.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Thanks guys, I did a 30 minutes strength training routine this morning and will continue doing cardio along with that... I already did some circuit training. I have some 5 pounds dumbells at home. Starting with that as I am pretty new to this. Asked for 8 and 10 pounds ones for christmas and a kettle bell.

Will look at the book.

Awesome! Keep at it! I think you will see that you get results from strength training and if you continue to push yourself (increasing weight as need be), the sky is the limit!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member

Will look at the book.

If you're serious about this, buy the book before you buy the dumbbells. Otherwise you're just going to be wasting your time.

For instance, why are you asking for such light weight? I mean 8 lbs? That's less than a backpack for an elementary school kid. I would START your dumbbell set with a 2x15 & 2x20 lbs. dumbbells. That would give you 15, 20, 30, 35, 40 lbs to work with, and you'll actually be DOING work rather than just FEELING like you did something.

Remember, just the barbell in the gym is 45 lbs... I have a girl-friend who was completely untrained, and we started squats at 45 lbs (just the bar) doing 5x5, then 50-60-70 lbs. In a few *weeks* she was already doing 90 lbs for as many reps as possible, and hitting 10 or 20 at a time. She was also only lifting once a week with me on Sunday morning.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    I work out at home. I have some dumbbells, kettlebells, yoga mats, etc. I don't have any big machines, workout bench or bars. I go to the library and check out workout dvds so I can see what I like and keep my interest up. I have a bunch of workout dvds at home and they are my go-to when I don't have anything from the library. I got them from Amazon or Collagevideo, and I also picked some up, very cheap, at Half Price Books.

My favorites for toning are Jackie Warner and Jessica Smith. I'm not a big Jillian Michales fan, but that's the joy of using library dvds.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    If you (or whomever you're asking for Christmas) can afford them - get some adjustable dumbbells. That is, if you are set on using dumbbells. I have some Weiders at home that go up to 25 each. I couldn't afford the heavier ones, but these are fine for P90X or RushFit type programs.