Crohn's anyone?

Hi I'm just wondering if by chance anyone on here suffers from Crohn's disease (like me)... and if so how they deal with the fatigue... food irritability.. etc, and if they've found anything that works for them?
Some weeks can be a real challenge.

Replies

• nbuehrmann
    nbuehrmann Posts: 47 Member
    Hi I'm just wondering if by chance anyone on here suffers from Crohn's disease (like me)... and if so how they deal with the fatigue... food irritability.. etc, and if they've found anything that works for them?
    Some weeks can be a real challenge.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    My GF has Crohns. She tires of my calorie obsession, but she might even post for you after I tell her some one was asking. :)

I know that with Crohn's there are strong dietary requirements and that it is not the same for everyone. There are difficulties in creating a diet for which to lose or gain weight. However, weight loss is not, to my understanding, a problem for Crohn's persons. Are you trying to Lose or Gain weight?
  • nbuehrmann
    I'm trying to lose weight. My mom and I both have crohn's and unlike alot of people who suffer from the disease, I don't lose. I think my metabolism has just slowed down so much that all I have to do is look at food and I gain weight.
  • Razboo
    I hate to ask the obvious, but have you checked with your doctor(s)?
  • nbuehrmann
    Haha, oh yes of course. I see my doctors regularly... they're very supportive. I'm in pretty healthy shape and my condition is relatively inactive with just the occaisional flare up.. but at the same time there are some rough patches and just wondering if anyone out there is in a similar situation as me.
  • nbuehrmann
    Well... I guess that's a no... but i was worth a try eh?
  • Razboo
    Sorry I couldn't get any feedback for you on that. :(

So, are you able to exercise? It would help increase your metabolism. I personally lean toward weight training. I like the idea of calories burning off while I'm sitting still. :) Plus the burn... even the stiffness and 'pain' the next day... All very adicting to me. But hey, we were talking about you!
  • nbuehrmann
    I find I actually feel better since starting to excercise again. Things are working better, and i think the sore muscles take away from the joint pain.
    Just sometimes lethargy... that's the worse. But thank you for your imput.
    :)
  • Aliseb
    Aliseb Posts: 11 Member
    I don't suffer from Crohn's, but I suffer from another auto-immune thing called Wegener's granulomatosis. I have pb exercising in that it's affected my lungs and so have a hard time breating. As for losing weight, I find I really have to stick to my calorie goal and even then, don't lose quickly. One thing I recommend lots of fresh, roasted garlic. It makes me feel lots better.

Good luck with your stuff.
    A