Taste buds, needing to feel full

Vanessa1977
Vanessa1977 Posts: 101
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
apparently I feel like talking today, sorry for my multiple post.

I just finished having a small meal after a long walk, I ate two pieces of provolone wrapped around turkey, 2oz and a clementine.

When I finished I very much wanted to make two more wraps. Not because I was still hungry, actually if I sat still long enough and paid attention I was 'full', I say full like that because feeling full feels very different for me now then it did three weeks ago.

Ok, the question I ask myself, If I AM full, why do I feel such a strong desire to have more?
The answer is I LOVE, LOVE, LUV the taste of the foods I eat. If I didn't have taste buds could I lose weight easier? or dulled taste buds. My problem is I get so much, too much pleasure from the taste of food that i want to continue to eat it regardless of whether or not I am hungry. hmm. that's a good thing to know.

Also in the past the comfort I got from feeling so full that I couldn't move, that one is hard to explain, but if you have weight issues like me, you might just get it? For many years my life has not been 'comfortable' it has been very scary, what I love most in the world has had a very fragile journey, there is no consistancy, structure. I have a strong type A personality and being the mother of a child with a rare illness and constant health problems, you lose your sense of control, your place of comfort in this world. I sought comfort & pleasure from food. I NEEDED to feel full, I NEEDED the feeling of comfort tha being so full gave me.

There was a time in my life, living like that worked for me, now I am at a different stage in my life and those tools I have used in the past to receive comfort & pleasure, now they work against me, now the quality of my life is reduced because of my weight.

Now I NEED to find new ways to experience pleasure and comfort. But like many of you know it is not easy and it doesn't happen over night. It happens One Day at a Time.

Replies

• sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Brush you teeth when you want to eat if its not from hunger. Toothpaste makes the food taste bad
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    I am a strong type A also. I find that when I eat now I make sure Im not watching tv, reading, or doing anything distracting. I slowly chew each bite, put my fork down in between each bite, and try to focus on enjoying it. My husband has always been a slow eater, so Im now in competition with him on that. This has helpd me a lot as we used to eat mindlessly in front of the tv, and so much we would be bursting as you described.
    I have also isolated a compulsion that I have . . . when Im alone I tend to binge . . . I will eat anything . . . and everything. I now either log onto MFP and "rededicate" myself to my goal, or I get on my gear and use the time to exercise. All of our kids have moved out in the last year, or so, so I find that Im alone a lot more now so really have to be mindful of this.
    I have been working very hard this year to change my views on food, it is not a reward, our celebrations do not centre around food any longer, it is merely a tool used to fuel my energy. In reminding myself of this (sometimes multiple times per day) I am slowly coming around to having a healthier outlook and relationship with food.
    This is certainly an educational journey but one that I know I will be successful with this time because I am not changing my diet, Im changing my lifestyle and my perceptions too.
    Best of luck to you in your own journey.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    I am a strong type A also. I find that when I eat now I make sure Im not watching tv, reading, or doing anything distracting. I slowly chew each bite, put my fork down in between each bite, and try to focus on enjoying it. My husband has always been a slow eater, so Im now in competition with him on that. This has helpd me a lot as we used to eat mindlessly in front of the tv, and so much we would be bursting as you described.
    I have also isolated a compulsion that I have . . . when Im alone I tend to binge . . . I will eat anything . . . and everything. I now either log onto MFP and "rededicate" myself to my goal, or I get on my gear and use the time to exercise. All of our kids have moved out in the last year, or so, so I find that Im alone a lot more now so really have to be mindful of this.
    I have been working very hard this year to change my views on food, it is not a reward, our celebrations do not centre around food any longer, it is merely a tool used to fuel my energy. In reminding myself of this (sometimes multiple times per day) I am slowly coming around to having a healthier outlook and relationship with food.
    This is certainly an educational journey but one that I know I will be successful with this time because I am not changing my diet, Im changing my lifestyle and my perceptions too.
    Best of luck to you in your own journey.

What she said:drinker:
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    I think you're very insightful to your own needs and wants and the things that trigger you're desire to eat. That's wonderful! If you keep focusing on the why and keep making small changes, finding your needs met in something other than food, you'll hit your goal before you know it. Congrats to you for really digging in and continuing to figure things out!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    I feel you as well - would probably weigh 100lbs if it wasn't for taste buds!

I have a friend who doesn't season her food well on purpose so she wouldn't eat too much of it. I don't think I could do that :noway:

But fiber is great for feeling that full sensation, you could front load the fiber (like kale salad, steamed veggies, shirataki noodles) and then follow with the higher calorie stuff. Extra water helps too but that's usually temporary.
This discussion has been closed.