Soup?!?!

Options
Has anyone tried eatting just soup for lunch everyday like you see the adds on tv? Is this a healthy idea or no?

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out, doesn't matter what you eat.

Liquid calories won't fill you up as much so don't know why you'd do that to yourself, however it's your body.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Soup usually is high sodium but if that isn't an issue for you then it's a fine choice. Stay away from creamed soups and most of them are fairly good nutritional value for the calories.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which ads those are, but my usual lunch is soup. I make a big batch of soup at weekends out of whatever vegetables I have. I'll add lots of herbs and spices, mayeb a tin of tomaotes, maybe a tin of beans (any kind) which makes it more chunky and substantial.

I'm also very partial to miso soup at lunctimes, which is less than 50 calories.

Other tinned and pouch soups are fine, but you have to read the labels carefully to see the nutritional values.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It can be a wonderful choice, but it could also be a bad choice. Soup does not refer to a specific food, but a method of preparing food. What is in the soup will decide if it's a good choice.

The advantages of soup is that it fills you up quickly because of the water content. If you are talking about canned soups, then be sure to read the labels. Like other canned foods, many are high in sodium. Many are also little more than salty water with little nutrition. Look for enough protein to keep you full for a while, or you may find yourself getting hungry before your next meal.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Liquid calories won't fill you up as much so don't know why you'd do that to yourself, however it's your body.

lol its soup, not juice.

I used to often have soup for lunch every day, I would have it with a bread roll and some fruit, and then a big dinner when I got home. I think its a great low calorie lunch and you can have so many different varieties. My favourite is butternut soup :)
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I too don't know what commercials you are speaking of (but I don't have TV, so I wouldn't know anyways), but I can tell you that for the first few months of using MFP I would buy a bowl of homemade vegetable soup for lunch at least twice a week, and I always found it filled me up quite nicely for so few calories.

I think it would be a great choice, but as another poster said, it would depend on what kind of soup. Having cup-of-soup packets each day for lunch most likely would not fill you up as much as making or eating something a little more homemade (you know, with actually chucks of vegetable and meat in it), and many pre-made soups (whether canned or in those dry packets) can be very high in sodium, which isn't necessarily great for you.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    If you make your own soup it can be cheap, easy and nutritious because you can put whatever you want into it. Soups and broths are great go-to meals for me when I'm low on time. There's so much variety you can add, too...I think it's a good idea. Not sure what the other person meant about them not being filling, soup fills me just fine :) it's not as if you can't make a congee or something if you need something more 'substantial'.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The Progresso Light soups are great. You can have a whole can for like 160-200 calories. Sometimes I will add some cubed chicken to up the proteins, and often throw in leftover steamed veggies to bulk it even more. Add enough and you can split it into 2 meals.
    Very filling and comforting on cold days!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    soup is great! however i normally have it with bread or croutons cos well why not!
    but yeah make it yourself. most soup can also be frozen and then easily defrosted and reheated when needed :)
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I love throwing some chicken, broth, noodles, hot sauce, and a couple of vegetables in the crock pot, and making a big batch of soup, and eating it a couple of days in a row for lunch, it is usually pretty filling, and pretty low calorie too.
  • bagge72
    Options
    Oh and if you make your own, you can get the low, or no sodium broths to make it with if you are worried about that.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I think that when you get into a routine where one meal is always the same, and if you like soup, it can make meeting your goals easier for you because you can enjoy lunch on auto- pilot, the thinking has already been done.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I see this thinking from guys a lot. They don't consider soup a 'real meal'. The only soup my hubby likes is potato soup with ham. And the thicker the better. It is basically mashed potatoes with ham and boiled eggs in it. With cheese and bacon on top. Not exactly healthy.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I love throwing some chicken, broth, noodles, hot sauce, and a couple of vegetables in the crock pot, and making a big batch of soup, and eating it a couple of days in a row for lunch, it is usually pretty filling, and pretty low calorie too.

^^This. You can eat soup every day and it actually takes longer to empty out of your stomach - I wish I could find the article that said that because I know nobody will believe me :) However, while you can find a TON of low calorie, decent protein, options in cans they are packed with sodium. make it yourself in huge batches and eat off it all week. Whatever you won't eat right away you can freeze!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I eat soup most days as part of my lunch. It's good - homemade, so I know what goes into it and it isn't crazy high in sodium. Gives a nice boost to my fibre and micronutrient levels for the day and is low calorie. It's also delicious, especially now the weather's getting colder. I generally eat something else as well, but would consider a large bowl of soup on its own as a light lunch option.

As for the ads - haven't seen them but it's just the principle of making sure you get a low calorie meal. It's the same as the Special K diet. Nothing magical about the food that makes you lose weight, just a way of controlling your calorie intake for that meal.
  • VCWildberger
    Options

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE POSITIVE FEEDBACK I MAY GIVE THIS A TRY FOR I DO LOVE SOUP AND I LOVE TO COOK SO NO CAN SOUPS FOR ME!

As for you Sir I only count my calories in. I feel as tho eatting back calories burned is pointless and that I could over eat. (now if after I exercise (I eat or drink a protein bar/shake) if I feel hungray or light headed, etc. I will eat something)
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I make a huge pot of vegetable soup with very lean meat at least once a week. I eat this for 3 or 4 days at lunch and am very satisfied. My DH usually has a sandwich with his.
  • bagge72
    Options

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE POSITIVE FEEDBACK I MAY GIVE THIS A TRY FOR I DO LOVE SOUP AND I LOVE TO COOK SO NO CAN SOUPS FOR ME!

As for you Sir I only count my calories in. I feel as tho eatting back calories burned is pointless and that I could over eat. (now if after I exercise (I eat or drink a protein bar/shake) if I feel hungray or light headed, etc. I will eat something)

What's the point of calories in if you don't know your calories out? Can't do one with out the other, well you can but it doesn't make sense since there isn't anything to compare it too. Also you need to eat back at least part of your calories if you are only using MFP's method.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Just look at the nutritional. Carbs/Fats/Proteins and sodium. Generally, you want more carbs and proteins especially if some of those carbs are in the form of fiber. Those 2 will help you be full. Sodium isn't that bad, but know that the more sodium you have, the more water you will retain. Now, this isn't that big of a deal but it can be a damper on the ego when you look at the scale and see it go up slightly due to excess water. Which you will lose and shouldn't really be counted in my opinion...it's water? Try to make it a veggie and beef or something based soup for substance and go a little lighter on the sodium for the rest of the day and you will be fine.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

What's the point of calories in if you don't know your calories out? Can't do one with out the other, well you can but it doesn't make sense since there isn't anything to compare it too. Also you need to eat back at least part of your calories if you are only using MFP's method.

You should be eating calories back after an exercise, you body will need the nutrients.