Gaining after ED - PLEASE READ

Options
Hello,

First some background information and my basic stats.

I am 18 year old male. I am 5'7. I weigh about 105 pounds.

I have been suffering from an eating disorder for a long time now. It was EDNOS/anorexia. i would abise exercise and not eat mich and also restricted the types of foods. i have a fear of gaining weight. My doctor has told me to gain weight. I am on exercise restrictions because I am a low weight and because of my low pulse. I have a lot of trouble following the resteictions. i stand whenever possible, bounce my legs when sitting, and secretly pace in my room. I am on a meal plan that is based on the diabetic exchanges. Here is my meal plan:

Breakfast: 3 grains, 3 oz protein, 1 dairy 1 fruit 2 added fats
Snack: ensure plus (or equivalent)
Lunch: 3 grains, 3 oz protein, 1 dairy, 1 vegetable, 2 added fat
Dinner: 3 grains, 3 oz protein, 1 dairy, 1 fruit, 1 veggie, 2 added fats

Now my questions:

1. Does this seem like too much food? I am somewhat afraid to eat this much because I am afraid of ballooning especially since I can't exercise.

2. What should my goal weight be?

3, when recovering, how does the weight distribute over the body and is it noticeable to others?

4. I get anxious since I can't exercise. How do I get over this?

5. What rate should I gain weight? Since I am so underweight should I just eat and stop worrying about the weight?

6.do you just keep gaining or does it eventually stop?

7. Is it healthy to be having 2-3 ensure plus a day?

Answers to any of these questions is greatly appreciated! If you need me to clarify anything, just ask.

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Since I am so underweight should I just eat and stop worrying about the weight?

And you have your answer.

You are 18 and afraid to gain weight? Most males will naturally continue to gain on up to their low 20's, the late teens/early 20's is when muscle mass catches up to bone growth in most.

Especially given the hormones you've got going, its entirely possible (and not unlikely even) that you could gain 25 lbs or so and actually be leaner (lower BF%) than you are now.

Just lift and eat, don't worry about how much weight gain, just worry that there is some.

I gained pretty much the worst way possible (intermittent, with no exercise) between 18 and 23, going from 140ish (@ 6'1", not terribly different than you) to 170ish; BF% certainly didn't go up, it might have dropped.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Please don't fear some weight gain. Please listen to your advisers. At the moment because of your lack of nutrients many of your body's systems are not working as well as they want and need to. Everyone has their own "right" weight which is high enough to be fit and healthy and enjoy life which is why for a given height there is an advised range and somewhere on that range is your perfect spot.

At 18 you still have height to achieve. As a male you could still be growing into yourself till you are 21 or 2. Depriving yourself of foods essential to proper development is dangerous. I can assure you no one wants to make another person overweight they want to help you achieve your perfect spot.

all the very very best
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doc. We're just a bunch of strangers not qualified to evaluate your condition. Beyond that, support groups and therapy to help you find your triggers and help you achieve balance.

Good luck and be well!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Ensure is packed with nutrients that you may not be getting otherwise.... it is given by Doctors a lot to people that are malnourished or underweight. Yes it is healthy... Don't be afraid to gain weight. Please do what the doctors and nutritionists tell you to do. My daughter struggled with an ED that started when she was only 8 years old. I feel like I have to walk on egg shells around her about food and "diet" Which is hard because of my weight problem. Get healthy because being under weight is JUST as if not MORE dangerous than being over weight!
  • Veganmafia
    Veganmafia Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :heart: talk to your doctor.
    :flowerforyou: take it one meal at a time
    :ohwell: join a support group for ED where you can talk to people who have and are recovering
    :smile: May you be blessed on your journey of healing:flowerforyou: remember its a gift, and it'll take some work, but the worst is over:wink: theres no where else to go but up and out:flowerforyou: