Swollen arms days after workout?

Options
On Thursday I had an intense bicep and back workout with my trainer. I used to weight train by myself but she definitely pushed me a lot farther than I would normally have done.

Friday I was the expected sore. Saturday I was EXTREMELY sore and tender- where I could not use my biceps what-so-ever. I couldn't lift anything and it hurt for anyone to touch my arms. They had also swollen up so bad that I would say it was probably an inch bigger in my bicep and forearm. They were so swollen I couldn't fully extend my arm straight.

I have never had this kind of swelling with any workout but I do realize I'm starting a more intense program with a trainer.

Sunday and today they are getting better but still swollen. I have been taking Advil and cold compresses. I also have been taking in a lot of protein and eating fairly clean.

Few questions:
1) Is this normal? Or should I have gone to the doctors?
2) What can I do to avoid this in the future? Gatorade? More protein?
3) How long should I wait before I start working on my arms again?

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting in June for the first time ever I was shocked to realize that I was the sorest TWO days after a session, not the next day as expected. I worked out every two or three days and it went away (both the soreness and the puffiness) in about two weeks. Hope that helps some.

I should also mention that my weight loss stalled completely during those two weeks but then picked up right where it left off.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing. The first day with my trainer he had me doing pull-ups while he held my feet. My right arm was so swollen the next 2 days, nor could I straighten it. I really thought I hurt myself, but felt fine during the workout. I iced it every hour and the swelling went away.

If the swelling doesn't subside in a few days, it wouldn't hurt to see a dr. I could tell that the swelling was less each day, but it took about 3-4 days to be back to normal. Also be on the look out for any bruising or redness, that can suggest an injury.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    1. Sounds normal, you may not be used to it as you really pushed yourself but the more you weight lift the better it gets.. the first time you get the feeling I am sure it feels really bad (don't remember so long ago)
    2. Stretching and knowing some limits and good form. But really it will probably hurt until your body is used to the workout.
    3. If you just have minor soreness you can start again.. usually once you start your workout and your sore, it goes away until afterwards.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon after a really intense workout. Don't worry it gets better with consistency.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stephaniejohnston750
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!! It took about 5 days for the swelling to go down and a week for my arms to look normal. I took an "active" rest week where I didn't push myself too hard, drank lots and lots of water, and used a lot of cold compresses. I feel great now and I am ready to get right back into it.