kid-friendly (and picky husband) low carb dinner recipes

Options
monicapeterson54
monicapeterson54 Posts: 34 Member
Does anyone have kid friendly/picky husband friendly low carb recipes? My husband will not eat eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, or olives. My child doesn't like tomato sauce. Any suggestions? I'm tired of making two seperate dinners every night!

Replies

• monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    how about some soup? carrot soup or pumpkin for example?
    or you can always make something chicken related- ie oven baked and cook potatoes/pasta for the husband and kids but dont have any yourself?
    you can always make fajitas but instead of the wrap you could you salad leaves? so much healthier and also fun for the kids to make.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I found a fabulous recipe site recently. Has weight watcher points, as well as calories and carb counts. I changed it from saltine crakers to pork rinds (I prefer it this way).

Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Meatloaf
    Source: adapted from Simply Scratch (with my modifications)

Ingredients:
    ¾ lb (12 oz) 95% lean ground beef
    ¾ lb (12 oz) extra lean ground turkey (I used Jennie-O brand)
    ½ cup chopped onion
    5 tablespoons barbecue sauce, divided (I used Stubb’s Original)
    1 tablespoon mustard
    1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    1 package BBQ Pork Rinds ground in the food processor
    1 large egg
    8 strips raw turkey bacon (I used Oscar Meyer brand)

Directions:
    1. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
    2. In a large bowl, combine the beef and turkey and mush together with clean hands until combined. Add the onion, 3 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce, mustard, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Pork Rind crumbs and egg and lightly mix together. Do not over handle.
    3. Transfer the meat mixture to the lined baking sheet and form into a 9” x 5” loaf. Lay the strips of bacon in a row to cover the top of the meatloaf, each one slightly overlapping the piece before it. Tuck the ends of the bacon strips underneath the bottom of the meatloaf. Using a silicone pastry brush, brush the remaining 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce over the entire loaf. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until your meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. Cut into 12 even slices and serve.

Yields 6 (2 slice) servings. WW P+: 6 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
    Nutrition Information per 2 slice serving from myfitnesspal.com: 238 calories, 5 g carbs, 9 g fat, 29 g protein, 1 g fiber
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why not just make carbs on the side for your husband and children? Make a side of brown rice, quinoa, pasta or serve wholemeal bread with the meal for them and you can skip that item?

I'm not sure low carb is a good idea for most children. I would discuss it with their pediatrician. Children need a lot of engery.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If your husband won't eat eggplant or zucchini, he sounds pretty normal to me! To men and kids those are pretty exotic vegetables. And buy yourself a salad book. There is MUCH more to salads than tomatoes and much more you can do with pasta (or whatever you're cooking) than put tomato sauce on top. How old is the child? Sometimes you can turn them on to food if you let them help prep.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Its hard to have everyone eat the same exact thing but I just modify it:

Tacos: For your kids and/or husband: shells, beans, seasoned beef, cheese, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, lettuce and for you a taco salad with no shell, chips, etc.

BLTs: Kids and Husband: BLTs, for you salad with bacon on top (I also do bacon wrapped chicken. My 12 year old stepson will eat it but since I make it quite a bit I switch it up with BLTs for him)

Burgers: theirs with bun, mine without again I buy burgers with seasonings (like pizza) sometimes to switch it up since I could eat the same thing all the time

Barbecue chicken: theirs with BBQ sauce, mine plain or with a dry seasoning

I doubt you would make chili if they don't like tomato sauce but I do and I either brown beef just for me and put some aside before making the actual chili or ill take out some after I put in the tomato sauce but before the noodles or all the beans.

I also do breakfast for dinner so either eggs and bacon or sausage for everybody or I make pancakes for them and eggs for me

If I do make baked chicken or something, I try to make some extra to have on hand for lunches or dinners. Then I can do sloppy joes or some type of pasta dish for them (but my husband and stepson are the opposite...they like ONLY tomato based sauces and won't eat anything cream based!)

Okay last thing to add....I try to have something on hand for a carb side if I'm doing something like steak or bacon wrapped chicken for my stepson like tator tots, potato wedges, or mashed potatoes and/or a side of peaches or pears.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have kid friendly/picky husband friendly low carb recipes? My husband will not eat eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, or olives. My child doesn't like tomato sauce. Any suggestions? I'm tired of making two seperate dinners every night!

Why force your restrictive diet on them?

Steak and fried sprouts

Larb

Tacos

Burgers
  • monicapeterson54
    Options

Steak and fried sprouts

Larb

Tacos

Burgers

It's the only meal we all eat together. I'm assuming you've never worked full time and had to create meals for your family everynight. I am not "forcing my restrictive diet" on them, i'm simply looking for ways to incorporate my food choices with family friendly meals so that I am not having to do twice the work every night.
  • monicapeterson54
    Options

Tacos: For your kids and/or husband: shells, beans, seasoned beef, cheese, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, lettuce and for you a taco salad with no shell, chips, etc.

BLTs: Kids and Husband: BLTs, for you salad with bacon on top (I also do bacon wrapped chicken. My 12 year old stepson will eat it but since I make it quite a bit I switch it up with BLTs for him)

Burgers: theirs with bun, mine without again I buy burgers with seasonings (like pizza) sometimes to switch it up since I could eat the same thing all the time

I doubt you would make chili if they don't like tomato sauce but I do and I either brown beef just for me and put some aside before making the actual chili or ill take out some after I put in the tomato sauce but before the noodles or all the beans.

I also do breakfast for dinner so either eggs and bacon or sausage for everybody or I make pancakes for them and eggs for me

If I do make baked chicken or something, I try to make some extra to have on hand for lunches or dinners. Then I can do sloppy joes or some type of pasta dish for them (but my husband and stepson are the opposite...they like ONLY tomato based sauces and won't eat anything cream based!)

Okay last thing to add....I try to have something on hand for a carb side if I'm doing something like steak or bacon wrapped chicken for my stepson like tator tots, potato wedges, or mashed potatoes and/or a side of peaches or pears.
    Thank you! This is helpful! We get tired of the same old "chicken breast with veggies, steak with veggies, pork chops with veggies". I do allow my family rolls/bread with meals should they choose it, it's just nice to not have to cook a million different things after working all day if I can avoid it!
  • monicapeterson54
    Options
    I found a fabulous recipe site recently. Has weight watcher points, as well as calories and carb counts. I changed it from saltine crakers to pork rinds (I prefer it this way).

Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Meatloaf
    Source: adapted from Simply Scratch (with my modifications)

Ingredients:
    ¾ lb (12 oz) 95% lean ground beef
    ¾ lb (12 oz) extra lean ground turkey (I used Jennie-O brand)
    ½ cup chopped onion
    5 tablespoons barbecue sauce, divided (I used Stubb’s Original)
    1 tablespoon mustard
    1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    1 package BBQ Pork Rinds ground in the food processor
    1 large egg
    8 strips raw turkey bacon (I used Oscar Meyer brand)

Directions:
    1. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
    2. In a large bowl, combine the beef and turkey and mush together with clean hands until combined. Add the onion, 3 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce, mustard, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, Pork Rind crumbs and egg and lightly mix together. Do not over handle.
    3. Transfer the meat mixture to the lined baking sheet and form into a 9” x 5” loaf. Lay the strips of bacon in a row to cover the top of the meatloaf, each one slightly overlapping the piece before it. Tuck the ends of the bacon strips underneath the bottom of the meatloaf. Using a silicone pastry brush, brush the remaining 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce over the entire loaf. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until your meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. Cut into 12 even slices and serve.

Yields 6 (2 slice) servings. WW P+: 6 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
    Nutrition Information per 2 slice serving from myfitnesspal.com: 238 calories, 5 g carbs, 9 g fat, 29 g protein, 1 g fiber
    This sounds DELICIOUS! thanks for the recipe! :happy:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Make tacos, and use iceberg lettuce instead of taco shells for yours, or anything else you want to wrap. When I was doing low carb, everyone ate what I ate, I just added extra to theirs, like someone else mentioned with rice/potatoes/bread. I had stinky shirataki noodles and they had real pasta.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My kids love the chicken/mexican crock pot stuff I make. Corn, black beans, ground chicken or chicken breast, seasoning, cheese, tomatoes and salsa. They eat it on a tortilla but I like it in a bowl like chili. The crock pot cabbage and kielbasa went over really well with everyone too. Ground chicken, cheddar cheese soup, and frozen brocolli in the crockpot got good reviews too. I put theirs over rice.

Next I am going to try twice baked butternut squash stuffed with ricotta, mozzarella, and bacon. It looks yummy.

Also, I may be addicted to Pinterest.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm not nearly as nice as you, I work full time and when I come home and cook my family either eats it or makes something for themselves. That being said my family has really branched out and started trying new things to appease me (or because they don't want to make their own food). I make a ton of soup, a make a bunch of different rubs for meat, I use a lot of paleo recipes because of the low carb count and high protein,usually they are pretty good.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Steak and fried sprouts

Larb

Tacos

Burgers

It's the only meal we all eat together. I'm assuming you've never worked full time and had to create meals for your family everynight. I am not "forcing my restrictive diet" on them, i'm simply looking for ways to incorporate my food choices with family friendly meals so that I am not having to do twice the work every night.

I do indeed work full time and cook nearly every night. Anyways, I'm assuming they don't cook their own meals for dinner, thus "'m simply looking for ways to incorporate my food choices with family friendly meals" is indeed forcing your diet choices upon them
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Thank you! This is helpful! We get tired of the same old "chicken breast with veggies, steak with veggies, pork chops with veggies". I do allow my family rolls/bread with meals should they choose it, it's just nice to not have to cook a million different things after working all day if I can avoid it!

These ARE good ideas!

I eat most of my carbs before my work out so I am always looking for lower carb dinner ideas that can be expanded to suit everyone. Carbs make me binge, so to stay away from them at home seems to keep me on my calorie goal for the day!

This week I am making beef stew in the crock pot with no potatoes then making mashed potatoes for the rest of the family - they love it that way. Then if I have a few extra calories to spare, I can have a little bit of the potatoes and a whole lot of meat/veggies...I also think it makes it easier to log.

Google low carb crock pot ideas...
  • MelRC117
    Options
    My kids love the chicken/mexican crock pot stuff I make. Corn, black beans, ground chicken or chicken breast, seasoning, cheese, tomatoes and salsa. They eat it on a tortilla but I like it in a bowl like chili. The crock pot cabbage and kielbasa went over really well with everyone too. Ground chicken, cheddar cheese soup, and frozen brocolli in the crockpot got good reviews too. I put theirs over rice.

Next I am going to try twice baked butternut squash stuffed with ricotta, mozzarella, and bacon. It looks yummy.

Also, I may be addicted to Pinterest.
    That squash sounds AMAZING
  • kgerm317
    kgerm317 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm a single, working mom so I can completely relate! I try to do a lot of my cooking (or prep) on Sundays.

I usually roast a whole chicken on Sunday. I serve it with mashed sweet potatoes, corn, peas, and green beans. I don't eat the corn. Then I take the leftovers, layer the chicken, veggies then the sweet potatoes, top it with shredded cheese and make a shephard's pie with it.
    We love tacos. I get the Stand n' Stuff soft tacos and allow myself one shell. Then make it into a salad if I want more.
    My kids LOVE meatloaf. I serve it with tossed salad and I may make a small pasta side for them, but I don't eat it.
    I try to make up a spaghetti squash on the weekend so that if we have a pasta dish, I can easily sub.
    I also use my crockpot a lot this time of year- roasts, turkey tenderloins, soups. I throw in meat, sweet potatoes, veggies... and serve it over brown rice for them (and just skip that part for me)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure low carb is a good idea for most children. I would discuss it with their pediatrician. Children need a lot of engery.

Just wanted to quote this because it's really really important.
  • monicapeterson54
    Options

Steak and fried sprouts

Larb

Tacos

Burgers

I do indeed work full time and cook nearly every night. Anyways, I'm assuming they don't cook their own meals for dinner, thus "'m simply looking for ways to incorporate my food choices with family friendly meals" is indeed forcing your diet choices upon them
    Both of your posts have been snarky and rude. Why bother taking the time to read a post if you have no real intrest in being helpful?
  • MelRC117
    Options
    Also, when I make roasts (pork or beef) I try to get it plain so I know what is going into the seasoning. My husband and stepson are not big leftovers eaters so I take the plain roast, shred it and heat it up with barbecue sauce and put it on a bun for barbecue pork or barbecue beef sandwiches and I eat the plain roast.

For pork chops, I've really been liking using my crock pot and throwing in pork chops, a tablespoon of sour cream, some olive oil and then a packet of ranch seasoning. SO good. I'll eat that with veggies and then also have potatoes for the kids.
  • monicapeterson54
    Options
    I'm not nearly as nice as you, I work full time and when I come home and cook my family either eats it or makes something for themselves. That being said my family has really branched out and started trying new things to appease me (or because they don't want to make their own food). I make a ton of soup, a make a bunch of different rubs for meat, I use a lot of paleo recipes because of the low carb count and high protein,usually they are pretty good.
    If my children were old enough to make their own meals, I would for sure follow suit with you! Eventually, my time will come..... :laugh: