How to stay motivated when the scale stalls?

Options
2»

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for your current weight for a couple of days (or a week, or once a week or whatever). You may need a reboot, lol :) Good luck! It's very normal.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for your current weight for a couple of days (or a week, or once a week or whatever). You may need a reboot, lol :) Good luck! It's very normal.

Ah yes, the "reboot". Still not sure what that's supposed to be. Our metabolism doesn't turn on a dime, you're not jumpstarting anything by adding or subtracting 200-300 calories a day. Why does this idea persist? :huh:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

Ah yes, the "reboot". Still not sure what that's supposed to be. Our metabolism doesn't turn on a dime, you're not jumpstarting anything by adding or subtracting 200-300 calories a day. Why does this idea persist? :huh:

Every single thread is not devoted to your opinions or questions about this topic. I don't care if you don't know what it's supposed to be, frankly.

But I'm open to discussion on it in general, y'all, if it helps the OP. It's all about the OPs for me, just for the record :)
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Every single thread is not devoted to your opinions or questions about this topic. I don't care if you don't know what it's supposed to be, frankly.

But I'm open to discussion on it in general, y'all, if it helps the OP. It's all about the OPs for me, just for the record :)

So you're okay with making unsubstantiated claims? Go ahead. But don't expect me to be quiet about it. I have yet to see ANY conclusive evidence that the minor calorie adjustments bandied about in these threads "reboot" or "jumpstart" the metabolism, but people like you keep recommending it.

And I'll comment as I like, since you apparently feel free to do so. :drinker:
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    So you're okay with making unsubstantiated claims? Go ahead. But don't expect me to be quiet about it. I have yet to see ANY conclusive evidence that the minor calorie adjustments bandied about in these threads "reboot" or "jumpstart" the metabolism, but people like you keep recommending it.

And I'll comment as I like, since you apparently feel free to do so. :drinker:

For the most part, people recommend such things because it worked for them. None (or at least very few) of us are scientists or nutrition experts, and that's part of the issue with forums. None of us also claim to be experts, we just use anecdotal evidence and you can try it and see if it works for you. Hence the suggestions of rebooting, or waiting. Because, as seen on this thread, weight loss goes differently for different people when you're just looking at the number on the scale.

The chances that OP's ""same foods and eating habits" that took off the first 17kg" were really just enough to get him to take off that amount are slim, because there was no gradual decline in weight loss. If it was really enough to get him just to this point, he would have seen a slow dropping off of his weight loss as his caloric needs slowly met with his caloric intake and brought him to a plateau. While OP could probably up the calories and still lose (I plugged in his stats and it gave me a 2000 calories a day BMR, add in daily activity and he's probably at 2400 calories even at "sedentary"), the chances that he suddenly went from just fine to eating too little is unlikely if he's been decreasing the calories every 10 pounds like MFP suggests. He still could however, if he felt he wasn't eating enough, decrease his deficit and maybe it would help. Who knows? Really, only he does because it's his body.
  • arcadia1983
    arcadia1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    at the moment the only thing that sort of moved me from my plateau was a bit of fat fasting. upping carbs/calories didn't quite work, but upping fat to up to 85% of total daily and staying under 1200cal per day it's what finally helped me.