Day Light savings; love it or hate it?

Options
rocky503
rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
Fall back or spring forward an hour based on some quirky history in the US. l don't like the practice and would like to just split difference and call it good. Of course the "extra" hour is great for a couple of mornings but then we pay with early darkness in the afternoons here in the northern US. Then I have to remember to take it into account with contacts outside the zone.

What's your take on the practice if you care to share.

Replies

• KindredSouls
    KindredSouls Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bears-eat-beets1.gif
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Know what you mean. During college I lived near the Washington/Canadian border and I actually wouldn't see the sun for a couple of months in the winter. Hated it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't really see the point in it. I adjust and it's no big thing to me, personally...but I would be just as happy without the change twice a year.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Meh, I could really care less about a minor inconvenience...

There are other more important things in the world to me to think about than worrying about changing my clocks twice a year.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly care for either, but I prefer spring forward. When you're working at night right after spring forward it makes the day go by faster. It gets dark and you look at the clock and go wow it's later than I thought. Great feeling when you're working.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    This...

IKsBoHz.png
  • heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I just hate it so much that I stay awake at night plotting new ways to destroy it.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Hated it up until I got an extra hour in bed.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    It f*cked up my weekend. I had forgot that it was time to move the clock back. The news said to move it back at 2am, so I set my alarm for 2am. At 2am the alarm went off and I woke real groggy and set my clock back to 1am, forgetting to turn off the alarm. At 2am, I woke up and reset the alarm to 1am. I was really groggy and out of it and, again, forgot to turn off the alarm. At 2am, I woke up and reset the alarm to 1am. I was really groggy and out of it and, again, forgot to turn off the alarm. At 2am, I woke up and reset the alarm to 1am. I was really groggy and out of it and, again, forgot to turn off the alarm. At 2am, I woke up and reset the alarm to 1am. I was really groggy and out of it and, again, forgot to turn off the alarm. At 2am, I woke up and reset the alarm to 1am. I was really groggy and out of it and, again, forgot to turn off the alarm. At 2am, I woke up and reset the alarm to 1am. I was really groggy and out of it and, again, forgot to turn off the alarm. At 2am, I woke up and reset the alarm to 1am. I was really groggy and out of it and, again, forgot to turn off the alarm. At 2am, I woke up and reset the alarm to 1am. I was really groggy and out of it and, again, forgot to turn off the alarm. At 2am, I woke up and reset the alarm to 1am. I was really groggy and out of it and, again, forgot to turn off the alarm.

My wife finally yanked my alarm clock off the nightstand and threw it accross the room. It was 2am, but the sun was shining.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Hated it up until I got an extra hour in bed.
    so your bed kicks you out? geez....that's not cool at all.
    Totally. I should get a new one, yeah? :P
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Not a fan and according to a story on NPR this morning, street crime actually goes up during the fall during the extra hour of darkness.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Not a big deal, I enjoyed my extra hour of sleep yesterday morning but was a little lagging by the end of the day. Felt much more late than in was and my body was feeling it too.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Not that it really matters, but Daylight Savings Time is in the spring. This time of year, we are going back to Standard Time. I personally prefer Daylight Savings Time. I hate that it's dark by the time I get home after work and after the gym.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it. I like it light late in the summer. Last week it was still very dark when my kids went to school - not safe for little ones out there.

We all sprung out of bed nice and early this morning. :laugh:

I'm in WI.
  • MartiCat70
    MartiCat70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I HATE it! It had something to do with farmers during WWII. It's 2013, what's the reason now??
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I actually like it because it's light in the morning and I can get up and go to the gym a lot easier instead of crawling back under the covers. Of course I'm ready to go to bed at 6pm though!
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    HATE IT! Hate getting out of work at 5 pm and its dark already. YUK!
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Living in South Texas, I wish we could flip-flop the two. That extra hour of light in the summer is too hot to go out and do anything fun. That said, I HATE the time change in the spring; the older I get, the harder it is for my body to adjust to the new time. I wish we could pick one and stick to it, and would prefer to have "daylight savings" all year 'round. I drive to work toward the East in the morning and actually prefer to be in the dark than driving into the rising sun.
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Not a fan and according to a story on NPR this morning, street crime actually goes up during the fall during the extra hour of darkness.

Like the Purge?!
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's an old fashioned notion that does us NO good this day and age. Please make it stop. Little children's internal clocks don't cooperate with it.