Lifting/exercise routing advice please.

Options
Ok.. I think I need some kind of weight program to follow so I'm not just hap haphazardly doing different exercises at the gym.

I'm not sure exactly what I need to do but below is an example of what I did this weekend. I alternate muscle groups focus but do the lifting like a circuit. I almost never do chest or leg focused days, but I do do exercises that work those 2 muscle groups. I need to maximize the workouts while minimizing the time at the gym, as I am extremely limited during the weekdays right now. I also run anywhere from 15-30 minutes 1-3 miles at about 5mph 3-5 times per week. I run outside, not on a treadmill, will do Zumba and turbo kick and play tennis doubles.. I'm female. 5"10 181lbs. I try to eat at least 1600 calories per day. (not sure if you any of that info is necessary) I usually take Mondays off or have light day (like only run or a quick routine at the gym). Monday is usually my only rest day.. last week was an anomaly, due to the time constraints I am currently trying to work out around. I already wake up at 5am so early mornings is not an option and i'm exhausted by 9:00 so late night workouts wont' happen. I usually go around 4pm or 6pm and run after dinner. so 8p 8:30p.

Sunday (focus: shoulders)
2 hours ultimate frisbee (every Sunday)
Warm-up: 5 mins rowing level 10- 1000 meters
free weight Shoulder press 15lb dumbells- 3x10
oblique crunches 35lbs 3x15
shoulder raises - straight up front) 10lbs 3x10
shoulders - out to side 10lbs 3x10
weighted squats 40lbs barbell on shoulder 3x20
Romanian dead lifts 40lbs 3x20
plank rows - 20lbs 3x10
side plank lifts 10lbs - 3x10
squat thrusts 20lb ball 3x20
declined sit ups 15

Saturday: (focus: Back)
Les MIlls Body Combat 60 minutes
Lateral pull down 90lbs 3x 10
oblique crunches 35lbs 3x15
row 90lbs 3x12
squat thrusts 20lb ball 3x20
trax system 3 x 10 pull ups
overhead to knee crunches 22.5lb 3x15
assisted pull ups 130lbs 3x6
assisted chin ups 130lbs 3x9
assisted dips 100lbs 3x10

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Routine! Ugh I hate typos.. grrr.. lol.. Also my resting heart rate is 46ish and i am going to start runing a 5k once a week on Tuesday's.

Anyone have any ideas? i tried to ask the trainers at my gym, but they want me to buy sessions and i just don't have the cash at the moment.

I want to turn my remaining fat into muscle. I am almost out of the overweight category :~)
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Holy ****... that is SO much more than you need to do.

Google Stronglifts 5x5, and start that program. Your lifting program needs to be focused on the big, basic 4 lifts:

Bench press
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Overhead press

You also need something for your back and arms, so either Rows (already part of Stronglifts 5x5) or Pullups/Chinups.

You will loose the fat by lifting weight just the same as you will doing cardio, 0% difference. If you want to keep doing cardio that's fine, just keep in mind that really intense cardio on your rest days can interfere with your recovery from your lifting days.

About BMI, I am also obese... look at my photo, that's bull****. Focus on your health, your strength, and what you see in the mirror.

Keep it simple, and focused on strength. Your body will adapt in all the ways you want it to, and eat at a deficit to loose the fat. Also, eat back your calories burned... if you're lifting seriously, you're going to need that energy for your workouts.

That's IT. You do not need more to get the kind of body you want.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Ok.. i will google that program.

I run and do the cardio because I am joining the ultimate frisbee league next summer and I need to increase my speed and endurance. Plus I love the combat classes. They are so fun.

when it comes to weights.. i have no clue. lol.

I am doing my best to eat more. I struggle with that part of it. But i'm getting better everyday :~)
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy cardio then continue doing it but be aware that when you get into the heavy lifting, you might need to cut back on it a little.

That said squats and deads have done more for my endurance, and speed than 3 months of cardio I was doing before I got into Stronglifts.. I am not saying that cardio didn't help but I definitely noticed a boost in speed and endurance after getting into SL.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Really?

hmm.. I just started with the deadlifts. I didn't really know what they were before. I love squats though. i don't mind cutting out some cardio. I do love the combat classes though. So maybe just those and the occasional 5K? cause i love to dress up in those silly outfits and run with a bunch of people. LOL

I can't wrap my brain around less lifting = more strength.. but I guess it's like eat more to weigh less.. i'll get there.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Less lifting = heavier weights = more strength gains
  • mheebner
    Options
    Really?

hmm.. I just started with the deadlifts. I didn't really know what they were before. I love squats though. i don't mind cutting out some cardio. I do love the combat classes though. So maybe just those and the occasional 5K? cause i love to dress up in those silly outfits and run with a bunch of people. LOL

I can't wrap my brain around less lifting = more strength.. but I guess it's like eat more to weigh less.. i'll get there.

You should definitely stick to what you enjoy doing for sure, but be flexible in your routine. For me personally I like lifting 3-4x a week but I love running as well so I have continued with running 5k but cut it back to just twice a week. And not after the squats/deadlift days...:wink:
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Really?

You should definitely stick to what you enjoy doing for sure, but be flexible in your routine. For me personally I like lifting 3-4x a week but I love running as well so I have continued with running 5k but cut it back to just twice a week. And not after the squats/deadlift days...:wink:

Absolutely. See all of this is training for what you want to achieve. If you want to reap the benefits of lifting, do it heavy with a good program. If you also like cardio, do cardio.

You're just going to have to find a balance for yourself, because both are training different energy systems in your body.

It's really just an FYI, be aware that stressing your legs today, will make squatting harder tomorrow, so maybe your numbers won't go up like they would with someone who wasn't running as much. It's not a bad thing, and you'll find your balance with time and experience.

Also, about squats and deads helping you run... stronger legs and body mean more power output... that would definitely make you a better runner (though the effects of greater power output are even more noticable with sprinters).
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Compound exercises, like squats and deadlifts, work multiple muscles at the same time. They replace 3 or 4 different isolation exercises. If you're trying to save time in the gym, the best thing to do is do a few compound lifts and drop the isolation work. That's why programs like Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, and All Pro Beginner are great for people with limited time. They are oriented around compound lifts.

You also need recovery time when you're lifting heavy. Lifting heavy every day will just make you exhausted, and exhausted muscles don't get stronger. Beginners typically need a day off between lifting days.

You can exercise as much as you're doing now at first when the weights are relatively light, but unless you're taking steroids or something, you'll have to give something up when the weights get heavy.

If you love the cardio, or you're training for a distance event, you don't have to strength train 3 times a week. You can modify the routines and just do them twice a week. You won't progress as fast, but at least it's something.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    OK.. so switch up the isolation for compound exercises.. dead lifts, squat (thrusts?) and look up the 5x5 or starting strength routines.. Cut back on the running and try to add in more rest days. What I listed above is heavy to me. although I think I should have went with a 50lbs barbell rather then a 40lb one. Ok... i'm going to try to start this, this week.

I want to be able to run faster and longer and I want to be able to jump. Which sounds silly, but i can barely get off the ground. lol.

I do love the combat class, I can probably cut it back to once or twice a week only though. I do every Saturday morning usually and 1 other day during the week. The ultimate frisbee pick up games are every Sunday. not skipping those since I want to join the league and i'm trying to learn the game.

So if I alternate the lifting with those 2, and take Monday's off.. and ditch Zumba (since I do zumba just for fun anyway lol, I barely get my heart rate up during that class) I should start to benefit more from the lifting?
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, you can probably keep training hard on other things at the beginning of a beginner's strength program. You'll be learning proper form at the start, and the weights won't be too heavy, and you'll have plenty of energy for other training. Just be prepared for later. Lot of people over-train. You get lethargic, your progress stops, you feel unmotivated ... signs you're not getting enough rest. Listen to your body and cut back when you need to.

If you want to be able to jump, look into Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. It's probably better than Stronglifts because it uses a Power Clean, which is an explosive lift. Unfortunately, lots of gyms don't supply bumper plates, which limits how heavy you can go.

Or, you can add a sequence of plyometric jumps to your weekly routine. Maybe one day a week, replace your squats with some plyometric exercises..

You have an interesting set of goals!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    I do?? lol

I don't want to be all buff and muscly looking. I want to look like a woman, but a fit athletic strong woman who can back the look up. I can't stand sitting idle and I love sports. Being able to run and jump will help with the sports. Being strong and fit will too.

I feel like that today.. So I'm battling with myself to make it a rest day. I'll probably go for a walk before bedtime, but that can't hurt. I hope.

I never thought of adding plyometrics. I guess it just looks daunting. but a year ago i'd have said the gym looked daunting and running was out of the question.. so.. maybe I can try that too..

I've got a lot of ideas now..

I have insanity at home too.. but I'mm never motivated to do it anymore.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    These programs seem to be geared toward body builders.. I won't get all bulked up looking by following them will I? I know weight lifting won't do that.. but will these specific programs do that? I want to look like a woman, but be strong, fit and toned.
  • mheebner
    Options
    Are you eating at like 1000-3000 calories over your TDEE ? No ? Then you will not have to worry about bulking up. Seriously you need to spend hours in the gym and eat at a surplus to get the'bulky you are talking about'. Most women bodybuilders are on very strict regiments, and intense programs to get bodybuilder type physiques.

What will happen however is you will gain strength. With strength comes power, endurance. Strengthening your body will reduce fat, preserve lean muscle, and burn calories at a higher rate.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Ok.. thank you.. just checking... seeing all that body building references on those sites is a bit daunting. Strength is good, looking like a muscled up beefcake is not my desired outcome. lol

I hope I am not eating at a surplus!! I have been increasing my intake as I am pretty sure I am under eating.

I'm trying to get this right so i can get it over with and coast :~p (i know it takes dedication pretty much forever, but i'm hoping once i figure it out it will be easy to keep doing!!)

My body bugg says I burned 3062 calories yesterday which was a rest day and included hours sleeping. So i'm guessing that is my TDEE and i need to eat more then I even thought..

It's starting to get confusing.
  • mheebner
    Options
    Check out this TDEE calculator. You should be able to find your total TDEE and adjust your caloric intake either up of down however suited to your needs.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

And again you are not going to 'bulk' up doing strength training. If anything you might be able to burn off those last few stubborn pounds of fat with strength training.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    You think my body bugg is wrong? it's brand new.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    that's where i got my 1600 calorie target from.. doing one of those calculators. it says that's my BMR, so I figure if I eat at least that much i'll be ok.. then if I exercise I try to eat a bit more.
  • mheebner
    Options
    Sounds like you are all set with calories. According to your ticker, it seems to be working well for you !