*LOSING* weight during the holidays.... ?

Options
I'm currently up about 6lbs from my lowest, and I need to get that back off. When doing things right, I can easily do that in a month or so, and I'd like to continue forward, but we're in the holidays!!

Any REALISTIC tips on how to actually lose (not just maintain) weight during the holidays? Holidays are so food-oriented, and I don't think it's mentally healthy to just "not eat" the things that remind me of good times during the holidays (e.g. pumpkin pie, turkey and dressing, oh my!).

Bring your advice ...

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    We are social creatures, and food is a social event. Let's face it, *everything* tastes better when you're in the right company. (Stop it! That's not what I meant! :blushing: Well, not *just* that! :tongue: ) Just have to be conscious of how much you're eating. And I find it helps to identify the tricky foods ahead of time, so you know where to be careful and where to relax.

In the worst case, get properly soused ahead of time - you'll be the life of the party, everybody will look ten times as attractive, and you won't be able to get off the couch for seconds and thirds. :smile:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I've always lost weight over the holidays, but then, I work in retail and don't have time to do a lot of socializing. Just like any time of year, track, stay active, and stay at your calorie goal. A little harder with all the amazing food, but doable.
  • dmlatva
    dmlatva Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me I set realistic goals that allow me to have the treats I love without feeling deprived, but not going hog wild and reverting back to the bad eating habits. I have done things like allowing myself one dozen (12) cookies during the entire holiday season; so from Thanksgiving to New Years I count the cookies (and the calories too but don't beat myself up on the days I had the cookie and went over) and stop at the 12 (so make them last!). For Thanksgiving, I still measure my portions, count the calories, and making myself stop when I am full (easier said than done but it can be done!) Also, if you cook the dishes try to make them healthier/lower calories with substituting the high cal/bad stuff. Hope this helps! Can't wait to read other people suggestions, because this is the toughest time to stay on track!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Burn more through exercise.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

In the worst case, get properly soused ahead of time - you'll be the life of the party, everybody will look ten times as attractive, and you won't be able to get off the couch for seconds and thirds. :smile:

This ^:laugh:

Though it's the holiday season, not everyday is a holiday feast. Enjoy the festivities and good food, log faithfully, and try to achieve some balance for the week by eating a little less on non-feasting days or exercising more.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You have to make choices that you can live with. Do you want the pumpkin pie or to lose a pound? How many times a year do you have pumpkin pie. I'm chosing to have it. I'm not going to have wine that day. It's a choice I can have wine another day. You have to do it the way that works for you. Good luck!
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I think the trick is that if you overeat on a particular day, not to just throw in the towel and think "I'll get back on the bandwagon after the holidays." 6 weeks of overeating will have a big impact. 1 day of overeating is negligible.

My other tip, which is a bit controversial, is if you go out for a big meal, try and save up your calories so have a very small breakfast and lunch and then enjoy your meal out but still keep to your total calorie allowance for the day.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Why did you write "losing" with the asterisks? What do you mean? I'm lost.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    From October through December of last year I lost about 20 of my 40ish Lbs...I even enjoyed the holidays. I didn't treat the entire holiday season as an excuse to stuff my face but I enjoyed the actual days themselves. Thanksgiving and Christmas are just two days of many days...they are irrelevant in the grand scheme even if you do over do it on those two particular days.
  • seahampride74
    Options
    For me the plan is simply to increase the exercise levels.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My strategy this year is threefold:

1) Don't fret too much over daily calorie goals, and instead look at weekly and monthly totals. This way I'm not feeling guilty at Thanksgiving dinner; I'm just reminding myself that I'm paying for this meal for the rest of the week.

2) Don't stop logging everything. I won't skip logging every cookie, cake, and glass of egg nog. Yes, it can be hard to do with all the homemade goodies out there, but I will do my best and find averages in the Food Library and be as honest as I can.

3) Don't beat myself up if I don't lose weight. I'm not stupid. I know that I will probably eat more than I have been. I have to be okay with that, because the alternative is to skip all these family & social events I love so much. I can always get all fired up again in January.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My strategy this year is threefold:

1) Don't fret too much over daily calorie goals, and instead look at weekly and monthly totals. This way I'm not feeling guilty at Thanksgiving dinner; I'm just reminding myself that I'm paying for this meal for the rest of the week.

2) Don't stop logging everything. I won't skip logging every cookie, cake, and glass of egg nog. Yes, it can be hard to do with all the homemade goodies out there, but I will do my best and find averages in the Food Library and be as honest as I can.

3) Don't beat myself up if I don't lose weight. I'm not stupid. I know that I will probably eat more than I have been. I have to be okay with that, because the alternative is to skip all these family & social events I love so much. I can always get all fired up again in January.

Quoted for total truth. Mind if I take your goals and use them for mine, too?
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Forgot my sticker
    47478456.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Plan your indulgences. I know that it would be ridiculous for me to expect myself to not indulge on Thanksgiving or at Christmas parties, but that does mean I need to keep that in mind when I start craving ice cream or some wine on a regular night.

Stick to a regular routine as much as you can. Make sure you get your workouts in, even if that means rearranging your normal work out times to plan around work parties or what not. I guess that's also planning.

Name of the game (in my opinion) is PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. I usually don't try to lose during the holidays but maintain. This year I wouldn't mind losing 5-10 pounds as I had a small gain after being sidelined with a shattered ankle since July. Now that I can lift weights again and am getting my mobility back, it's game on for me. Thanksgiving is one day. Christmas is one day. It's not an excuse to eat everything for weeks and weeks.
  • MrJThomasEsq
    MrJThomasEsq Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I plan to work in some extra excersize to keep my net calories below the line. Also if I know I have a big meal or party coming up I plan to cut back some for a couple of days before and after so I have some extra calories to work with.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Burn more through exercise.

^^^This!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    1) Stop eating when you're full.
    2) Do more exercise.
    3) Only splurge on the one day. Before Thanksgiving or the day after Thanksgiving, reel it back in.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Wake up an hour early and go running. Drink a lot of water before every meal. :) Do some resistance training before bedtime.
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My plan is to think about what I really enjoy, and then enjoy that once, without any extra stuff.

For example: One moderately sized slice of pumpkin pie vs. a giant slice of pumpkin pie plus a big serving of ice cream plus a second serving.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Have that pumpkin pie and dressing, just log it and make it fit into your calorie goal. So, maybe you don't lose a whole pound on the week of Thanksgiving, not that big a deal, is it? It takes you an extra week.