feeling disppointed in myself

Options
Last night I went to Chile with my husband and I pig out. I should have ate something before we went because I was straving by time we got seated. I know that I ate probably my whole day calories. Now I'm feeling really disappointed in myself. I could have still ate but made smarter decisions,this is why I hate the weekends. I always eat more then I should then beat myself up over it for the whole weekend. I'm hoping that was the only time we eat out this weekend I don't think I can handle another one. I'm just feeling really upset for eating all it and needed to tell someone that would understand. Thanks for listening. Wish me luck that the rest of my weekend goes better.

Replies

• mrshamm
    mrshamm Posts: 62
    Options
    Last night I went to Chile with my husband and I pig out. I should have ate something before we went because I was straving by time we got seated. I know that I ate probably my whole day calories. Now I'm feeling really disappointed in myself. I could have still ate but made smarter decisions,this is why I hate the weekends. I always eat more then I should then beat myself up over it for the whole weekend. I'm hoping that was the only time we eat out this weekend I don't think I can handle another one. I'm just feeling really upset for eating all it and needed to tell someone that would understand. Thanks for listening. Wish me luck that the rest of my weekend goes better.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Start over today! Make healthier choices and drink lots of water. Get in a good workout and that will keep you on track. One day of "pigging out" won't mess up your metabolism. Just as you can't lose weight over night, you can't really gain it overnight either.
    Good luck with the rest of your weekend, I hope it goes well for you:flowerforyou:

Dianne, I wasn't trying to say that at all. I was only trying to say that one bad day doesn't need to derail the entire effort.
  • dragonscapes24
    Options
    Don't worry about it... I have done the same thing recently but I won't let that ruin my life and you shouldn't either... plus Bob on the biggest loser says that everyonce in a while you should shock your metabolism... helps with weight lose or something... I just think it helps motivate me to not feel guilty and to get back on the wagon as soon as possible
    You will do great the rest of the weekend... I know it
    Jenn
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sorry GTO ...I don't totally agree with you. Messing up ONE meal does not constitute messing up a whole day neither does it give you permission to mess up the next meal. Man! if you messed up brekky does that mean lunch and dinner have to be messed up? And if that were the case...YESSS a few mess ups would certainly started packing on those pounds.

ONE MEAL AT A TIME.

ok...here's the deal

Do NOT beat yourself up for being human.

GET OVER IT!~ it's only one meal. You have the very next meal to hop right back on the wagon and make it right. The opportunity is there...Grab it and hold on for the ride!

LEARN from it...examine why you did what you did and then figure out how you could have handled it better making note that life happens and if you are prepared to deal with whatever comes up in the future you will never have to feel disappointed in yourself again.

(Personally I am so determined (or obsessed if you wanna put it that way) that I refuse to eat at restaurants that do not post their menu's nutritional...heck..if you know where you like to eat...scope out the nutritional and plan some meals that you know will be in line with your eating targets (or do the least amount of damage) so that at a drop of a hat...should you find yourself eating out ...you know what to plan for...PLANNING is an important key here)

Don't be disappointed in yourself...you could have lied to us or just omitted fessing up.

It's not easy ~ you are behaving in an accountable manner and that is such a GOOD thing.

Please shake those disappointed feelings and face the rest of the weekend responsibly ... this slight indiscretion may just be forgiven. Have a super weekend!
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    try not to get discouraged, it just makes things worse. look at yesterday as a cheat day maybe and start fresh today. look at yesterday not with anger and dissapointment, but as a learning experience for what to do better next time. don't worry, we're all here for you!
  • timragan
    timragan Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Don't be disappointed to find out that you are human like the rest of us. Its really hard to shake it off sometimes and not segue last nights bad choices into bad choices today. Have a little faith in yourself. We all understand and have been there, will be there again, we are humans!
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Cheat days happen. I think the disappointment and guilt make them worse. Try to think "that was a dose of how I used to eat", try to analyze how you FELT afterward, physically and emotionally, did you feel stuffed, bloated, irritable? Anything that you can see as a negative effect on your body?

Use that as motivation to congratulate yourself on your new lifestyle. One day of overeating does not ruin your chance at weight loss.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    One day of overeating does not ruin your chance at weight loss.

Exactly the point I was trying to make!:smile:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Beat yourself up for a minute, and then move on. Life is too short! I overeat some days, but I think, "Wow, I used to eat like that EVERY DAY!" At least now I am paying attention.

We are all here for you! Learn from your mistakes, and eat some baby carrots before you go out next time. :laugh: