Replies

• KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    chainsaw-o.gif
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Stove top stuffing seriously??? On Thanksgiving no less????

that SUCKS!

I want cranberries and apples and butter and real bread.. mmmmmm... my mouth is watering....

and if you take the fat our of my thanksgiving i will come at you with my fork. lol

I want pumpkin pie dammit!

I'm not a fan, never have been, of green beans casserole or the marshmallow sweet potato thingy.. but don't touch the rest of my food!! And yes.. I will eat your ham AND your turkey AND your stuffing..

mmmm.. now i'm hungry!!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My aunt used to make us pumpkin soup AND french onion soup.. mmmmm.. i always ate both. :~)

oh and all the random appetizers and apple pie and ice cream and chocolates!!

oh cranberry sauce!! we used to have homemade!!

and apple cider!!!

looks like I do have to recipe search after all!!

Is it here yet?? I can't wait 24 more days!!
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    LOL, I read this thread and was wondering how long it would take for the "its only one day, eat what you want" replies would take. First reply. Anyways, I agree with you OP. If there are ways to make things lower calorie/fat i'm all about it. Sure i will eat more than normal on Thanksgiving but I also dont want to wipe out my entire week of deficit either. I dont have anything to share because we visit in the inlaws and aren't expected to bring anything since it IS an 8 hour drive LOL. But if i were doing a thanksgiving at home i would be looking for the same types of recipes you are.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    that I am saying is that there are other ppl out there that simply cant handle the salt, grease, butter fat, and all that! I know that I am not alone, if you have nothing to contribute to this, that can be taken good and used for the better, then there really is no reason for you to contribute at all.. '
    there are some ppl that have lost family memebers and thanksgiving may be a reminder of that and that may cause ppl to "over indulge" and true as it is, one day wont cause a total flop, but it could.. imagine that your sitting at the dinner table and all of a sudden aunt frida makes a comment about how unkie fred died and she is all torn up and grabs for a 2lb slab of pie, and imagine that she busted her *kitten* to loose 20 lbs and that she is a "food junkie" wouldn't you rather her go for a slab of pie that has 60 less calories?
    there is ways to help ppl. this is what was running threw my head when I created this post. so, take it with a grain of salt, or what ever else, but there may be ppl looking at this for ideas.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    All the butter... all the bacon.... ALL THE FAT... wait wrong thread.. :blushing:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Ok. If your going to go overload on your day, that's up to u. But there are a few of us that would like a healthier option! Some ppl act like it's a butter adding competition! "I used 7 sticks! " no, I'm trying to get the word out that u don't have to run to Wal-Mart and invest in boxed crap, that is y I posted this! If u have a a problem with it, get the f!ck off! Don't do it. But believe it or not, there are ppl that would like a better option! I KNOW I'm not alone!

Ok that was pleasant.... lol People that are not advocating your healthy alternatives probably like me have recipes handed down from generations that are normally only made this one day a year (my moms dinner rolls, my sisters green bean casserole, my grandmother potato salad, my moms pecan pie and iced apple pie, all of whom have passed on and these recipes are made in honor of them). Alot of us are saying it is 1 day and one day will NOT Wreck a diet unless you have other issues that you can't adhere to getting right back on track the following day... My game plan has been up at 6 and hit the Gym for a Great Workout and home to enjoy a fun filled day with Family and Friends and Food. Then get up the day after and get back to business as usual...... It hasn't altered my weight loss in the least..... but no need to get testy, enjoy your holiday...... :drinker:
  • collingmommy
    Options
    LOL, I read this thread and was wondering how long it would take for the "its only one day, eat what you want" replies would take. First reply. Anyways, I agree with you OP. If there are ways to make things lower calorie/fat i'm all about it. Sure i will eat more than normal on Thanksgiving but I also dont want to wipe out my entire week of deficit either. I dont have anything to share because we visit in the inlaws and aren't expected to bring anything since it IS an 8 hour drive LOL. But if i were doing a thanksgiving at home i would be looking for the same types of recipes you are.

thank you, I thought the same thing! its a lot of ppls run to, and how long will it be before the one day of overindulgence turns into 'hasn't signed on in a week, one month, 2 months, "
    its always, "just one day" for some, and for a lot, that is all it takes!
    thank you .
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    that I am saying is that there are other ppl out there that simply cant handle the salt, grease, butter fat, and all that! I know that I am not alone, if you have nothing to contribute to this, that can be taken good and used for the better, then there really is no reason for you to contribute at all.. '
    there are some ppl that have lost family memebers and thanksgiving may be a reminder of that and that may cause ppl to "over indulge" and true as it is, one day wont cause a total flop, but it could.. imagine that your sitting at the dinner table and all of a sudden aunt frida makes a comment about how unkie fred died and she is all torn up and grabs for a 2lb slab of pie, and imagine that she busted her *kitten* to loose 20 lbs and that she is a "food junkie" wouldn't you rather her go for a slab of pie that has 60 less calories?
    there is ways to help ppl. this is what was running threw my head when I created this post. so, take it with a grain of salt, or what ever else, but there may be ppl looking at this for ideas.

Well I don't know about your aunt Frida, but I'd imagine my family would be pretty pissed if I invited them over for Thanksgiving and served mashed cauliflower and pies made with Splenda...
  • collingmommy
    Options
    Ok. If your going to go overload on your day, that's up to u. But there are a few of us that would like a healthier option! Some ppl act like it's a butter adding competition! "I used 7 sticks! " no, I'm trying to get the word out that u don't have to run to Wal-Mart and invest in boxed crap, that is y I posted this! If u have a a problem with it, get the f!ck off! Don't do it. But believe it or not, there are ppl that would like a better option! I KNOW I'm not alone!

Ok that was pleasant.... lol People that are not advocating your healthy alternatives probably like me have recipes handed down from generations that are normally only made this one day a year (my moms dinner rolls, my sisters green bean casserole, my grandmother potato salad, my moms pecan pie and iced apple pie, all of whom have passed on and these recipes are made in honor of them). Alot of us are saying it is 1 day and one day will NOT Wreck a diet unless you have other issues that you can't adhere to getting right back on track the following day... My game plan has been up at 6 and hit the Gym for a Great Workout and home to enjoy a fun filled day with Family and Friends and Food. Then get up the day after and get back to business as usual...... It hasn't altered my weight loss in the least..... but no need to get testy, enjoy your holiday...... :drinker:

im sorry if that wasn't a "pleasant " thing to say, and its wesome that you have all these handwritten options to you. and its better that you have a plan. :) I meant no harm to ppl like you.
  • collingmommy
    Options

Well I don't know about your aunt Frida, but I'd imagine my family would be pretty pissed if I invited them over for Thanksgiving and served mashed cauliflower and pies made with Splenda...

lol,, I like that. but atleast you kinda have a sense of humor! and EWWW,, splenda? no, stevia. :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

thank you, I thought the same thing! its a lot of ppls run to, and how long will it be before the one day of overindulgence turns into 'hasn't signed on in a week, one month, 2 months, "
    its always, "just one day" for some, and for a lot, that is all it takes!
    thank you .

This is where the tiny self control fairy comes into play. You can overeat on the healthier versions too. Maybe I missed the reason that you are taking this personally - we all have different opinions.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    its not like you will be eating this way every day! Just don't eat till your miserable. Why substitute anything. This is Thanksgiving!!! Eat!!! has no body seen the episode of Raymond when Marie made the "Tofu turkey"?? Did we not learn anything from this???
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

LOL...'cuz what's really funny is that people who are able to see the big picture like that tend to be the most successful both in RE to losing and maintaining a healthy weight.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

LOL...'cuz what's really funny is that people who are able to see the big picture like that tend to be the most successful both in RE to losing and maintaining a healthy weight.

^^THIS!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    No. Just no. Nuh-uh.

Actually, last year I ate whatever I wanted and actually managed to LOSE weight.

Gimmie fresh bread drenched in butter and green beans with the crunchy onions and I'm gonna eat it and LIKE it.

Ain't nothin' you girls can do about it. :smile:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Right on. Happiness is the enemy. Taste is evil. Joy shortens your life.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    its not like you will be eating this way every day! Just don't eat till your miserable. Why substitute anything. This is Thanksgiving!!! Eat!!! has no body seen the episode of Raymond when Marie made the "Tofu turkey"?? Did we not learn anything from this???

I won't do anything EXTREME for Thanksgiving. But anything I cook (now) I try to pare down a little bit.

No, I won't be making pumpkin pie with whole wheat crust (or crust free) but I will use 2% evaporated milk & Egg Beaters. This is a slight change that most people won't notice.

I make a sweet potato casserole with sliced apples, ginger, apple juice concentrate & a little brown sugar......I don't need dessert WITH dinner....1 dessert (pie) after dinner is fine by me.

Never been a fan of green bean casserole. I'm going to serve fresh steamed green beans. I eat fresh green beans all the time, but for some people fresh green beans will be a treat. I could sprinkle on some sliced almonds to "fancy" it up.

Cranberry sauce is super simple to make ....I use apple juice instead of water and then cut the sugar in half.

This meal wouldn't be popular with my brother (professional chef)...who would insist on the highest possible calorie content with every single dish (and yes, he's a big guy...high cholesterol, high blood pressure)...... who eats this way year round.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Ok, so as we all know, in the United States, Thanksgiving is right around the corner! 24 days from today, we will mostly all be indulging in family, friends and good food, some of us, will be dining afterwards on cocktails to ease the pain from the family members!

This may be a hard day for some of us, the family, friends, gains, losses through out the year. We ned to try to make it as easy as we can. For us on this site, it may be particulary hard on the eating and portion control. I thought that if this got out, and we can make it as popular as possible, maybe we can do something to "soften the blow" of the day so we don't wake up the next morning with regrets from having that second slab of pie or helping of yams!

Here is what I would like to propose: a thread that is out there for people to use (with recipes or links) for making healthier, lower calorie, lower sodium, lower/fat free holiday yummies! what made me think of this, I LOVE stuffing, I am going to admit it, I could and have eaten a entire pot of stovetop stuffing! the Easter when I was pregnant, I did. I just recently started to notice that salt is not always "light" on the lower sodium foods. So I would like a recipe for low sodium stuffing. All the bagged stuff is "low sodium" only by a bit, I still feel like I am licking a salt block!

Thanksgiving is usually celebrated with the traditional turkey, stuffing green bean casserole and pumpkin pie candied yams, and such treats that we don't have through out the rest of the year. So, one thing I am doing for my family of 3, is instead of trying to make enough to feed us three days, im going to make "bite sized" pumpkin pies and mini lemon meringue pies. Another idea that I have floating around is make the turkey breast with the injectable butter instead of flooding him with 5 sticks of butter! And, I also used to use "canned green beans and corn" this year, im going to do it all with fresh or frozen goodies!

So come on down! Tell us your ideas! im sure that if you have a "grandmas favorite ___" we can use it or flip it into a healthy treat!

You do know that one day of eating likely will only derail the weak minded who can't get back on track, right?

Sure you could make mashed potatoes with chicken stock instead of cream and butter, but you lose a lot by doing so. Same with almost all dishes you wish to "healthify". Personally I'd just eat your favs with no healthy tweaks, but that's just me

Yeah, we get it. You hate altering recipes in an attempt to "healthify" them.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I love the healthier version of green bean casserole that consists of green beans with a little butter on them and maybe some bacon bits. Leaving off the nasty crunchy onions and disgusting cream of mushroom soup makes it not only healthier but edible!

And I disagree with the post that says you lose a lot by making healthier changes. I have made many healthier dishes and no one really noticed much of a difference. I found it a good way to show others that you can eat healthier and still have it taste good.

Um.... that's not casserole. It's just green beans.