Razor electric scooter for 9 year old.......

Options
sizzle74
sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
Does anyone have one? Do you think they are safe? I plan to get him a new helmet......are elbow pads necessary or will he get his *kitten* kicked if he wears them?

Replies

• sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Do you really worry more about him getting his *kitten* kicked than him being safe? If so, don't get him one.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Well if he gets his *kitten* kicked he won't be safe, so.........

I'm just kinda thinking elbow pads may be alittle over the top. (my co worker recommended them, I don't see kids wear them in our neighborhood)

ETA: there was some sarcasm in my OP............;)
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Bump
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Both my kids have had them forever, I never like them to ride without at least a helmet.... but of course at 12 and 7 they have their own plans. My daughter got a seriously nasty scar on her knee from falling once and had a rock stuck in her knee. I would do knee pads for sure (if you can get him to wear them). My 3 year old nephew rides them as well, without knee or elbow pads... always helmets.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Both my kids have had them forever, I never like them to ride without at least a helmet.... but of course at 12 and 7 they have their own plans. My daughter got a seriously nasty scar on her knee from falling once and had a rock stuck in her knee. I would do knee pads for sure (if you can get him to wear them). My 3 year old nephew rides them as well, without knee or elbow pads... always helmets.

Thank you! I do think he has ridden one at his dad's house but for some reason I am alittle nervous. lol He will definately be getting a top of the line new helmet with it! Likely the pads until I see he is really stable on it.
  • shawnp80134
    Options
    You may also want to find out what the laws are... We used to have a lot of them around, but then the police said no motorized vehicles on the sidewalks.. and since you don't have a drivers license, no motorized vehicles on the road... basically making it impossible for the kids to ride them anywhere, and now no one has them anymore! buzz killers!
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old has one. I highly recommend elbow and knee pads too.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Boo buzz killers! Lucky for us our neighborhood is tucked away so he likely won't get busted!

Off to look at the pads now! :)
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Purchased one for my grandson when he was 10 along with all the protective equipment! The only problem we found was with that electric power the boy wound up much further from home... hard to track a child with such mobility! When you are dealing with a highly active, outwardly mobile child... a power scooter turned into an adventure in constant monitoring! I am certain your 9yo will love it!
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Purchased one for my grandson when he was 10 along with all the protective equipment! The only problem we found was with that electric power the boy wound up much further from home... hard to track a child with such mobility! When you are dealing with a highly active, outwardly mobile child... a power scooter turned into an adventure in constant monitoring! I am certain your 9yo will love it!

:ohwell: Will DEFINATELY have to discuss boundaries for sure! We just started allowing him to ride around the block alone! lol!