This 1200 calories thing..is getting to me

Hi

I've been on this 1200 calorie plan for months. And I eat back burned calories, but I'm still not usually nettting 1200. Because its scary to me. Funny haha i Know... But I would love to eat more, and just not care about the number so much right now. But Currently I know I must have lost some weight, but I do not weigh myself. Last time it was maybe 130. And i'm 5'3. Active female. Desk job. But workout just about everyday. Although I don't want to be afraid of break days. For example. Today, i DO NOT want to workout. Im exhausted, my muscles ache. But now I can barley eat anything lol. Its like what the hell do I do on these days. Eat like a rabbit? I'm Constantly hungry.
I'm assuming that I'll be needing to up my calories soon. But I just have a bad feeling that I will gain weight again Because thats what my body does, gains, very easily. I want to relax and not worry, but i'll gain. And I am very healthy, no problems with thyroid..
Do I take the risk and up the calories? Or do I deal with this if i want to see more results.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    How do you know you will gain.. you don't have a scale? Take a day off and eat 1200 calories.. or eat more.. Nobody said you have to starve yourself and workout everyday to lose weight.. that is how people end up quitting and just gaining it all back.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    If you're hungry, it's for a reason. EAT.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    I, personally, would find a calculator and figure out your TDEE -20% whether it be from scoobyworkshop.com or iifym.com. I use the latter. I tried the 1200 calorie thing for about a month. I saw weight loss but then I remembered why I quit the first time I did it. 1200 was not enough and I felt like "If this is what it takes to be skinny, then screw it, I'll stay fat!". I calculated my TDEE, don't have to worry about how much I actually burn from exercise (as it's already calculated in) and I can eat more!! I'm still losing over a 1 lb a week and I don't feel like chewing my arm off or napping all day from exhaustion. If you're not happy, try upping your calories slowly. Maybe 50-100 a week.
  • Is the 1200 calories what MFP suggests you should use as your goal?
  • franticfoxx
    franticfoxx Posts: 50 Member
    Is the 1200 calories what MFP suggests you should use as your goal?

yeah, because I know activity level that you have to put in there DOESNT include exercise. So its at sed. level.
    But I workout about 5 days a week for an hour.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Since you're already in a healthy weight range for your height, there is no reason to eat at such a drastic deficit. And yes, when you up your calories, you will see a slight gain. It's water weight from your body replenishing it's glycogen stores and it is not permanent. Honestly, this sounds largely mental to me. Stop looking at food as the enemy that makes you gain weight and start looking at it as the tasty healthy wonderful stuff that nourishes your body and fuels your workouts.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Sooo true!
    How do you know you will gain.. you don't have a scale? Take a day off and eat 1200 calories.. or eat more.. Nobody said you have to starve yourself and workout everyday to lose weight.. that is how people end up quitting and just gaining it all back.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member

yeah, because I know activity level that you have to put in there DOESNT include exercise. So its at sed. level.
    i doubt you are sedentary...and how many pounds a week do you have it set to lose?
  • franticfoxx

i doubt you are sedentary...and how many pounds a week do you have it set to lose?

I believe its a pound a week.. but I know that doesn't happen
  • Phoenix_Warrior

Did you use any of the advice given last month?
  • franticfoxx

tried too mhm
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member

Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Sounds like you're getting the same advice.
  • franticfoxx

lol just like to hear more of peoples responses, nothing wrong with that. Don't need any attitudes from anyone.
  • franticfoxx

Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

"I'm not really looking for friends, I don't log a lot on here or need my diary or exercise critiqued." and I don't need yours
  • Phoenix_Warrior

lol just like to hear more of peoples responses, nothing wrong with that. Don't need any attitudes from anyone.

It's not really attitude. Just wanted to point out you've been given this same advice and apparently haven't changed anything. You never opened your diary, so no one can be sure how accurate you're logging and based on the information given, there's really nothing else people can say?
  • franticfoxx

It's not really attitude. Just wanted to point out you've been given this same advice and apparently haven't changed anything. You never opened your diary, so no one can be sure how accurate you're logging and based on the information given, there's really nothing else people can say?

Okay your right, thank you!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Hi

I've been on this 1200 calorie plan for months. And I eat back burned calories, but I'm still not usually nettting 1200. Because its scary to me. Funny haha i Know... But I would love to eat more, and just not care about the number so much right now. But Currently I know I must have lost some weight, but I do not weigh myself. Last time it was maybe 130. And i'm 5'3. Active female. Desk job. But workout just about everyday. Although I don't want to be afraid of break days. For example. Today, i DO NOT want to workout. Im exhausted, my muscles ache. But now I can barley eat anything lol. Its like what the hell do I do on these days. Eat like a rabbit? I'm Constantly hungry.
    I'm assuming that I'll be needing to up my calories soon. But I just have a bad feeling that I will gain weight again Because thats what my body does, gains, very easily. I want to relax and not worry, but i'll gain. And I am very healthy, no problems with thyroid..
    Do I take the risk and up the calories? Or do I deal with this if i want to see more results.

Hey. My stats are similar to yours (5'3", started at 143 lbs, now at 121 - and I did lose a lb a week until I hit 125). I lift once a week, not near the exercise you're doing. I'm still losing eating 1400-1500 cals per day (ignore the last couple of days, they're anomalies - and the vacation week I didn't log).

You're feeling poorly - sounds like a clear sign that you're not eating enough. Eat a couple of hundred calories more, feel better. You'll gain a little weight at first from water, glycogen, more volume of food in your system, but that weight will drop back off and you'll keep losing. Bonus - you'll workout harder because you'll feel better. Trust me, give it a go.
  • franticfoxx
    Hi

Hey. My stats are similar to yours (5'3", started at 143 lbs, now at 121 - and I did lose a lb a week until I hit 125). I lift once a week, not near the exercise you're doing. I'm still losing eating 1400-1500 cals per day (ignore the last couple of days, they're anomalies - and the vacation week I didn't log).

You're feeling poorly - sounds like a clear sign that you're not eating enough. Eat a couple of hundred calories more, feel better. You'll gain a little weight at first from water, glycogen, more volume of food in your system, but that weight will drop back off and you'll keep losing. Bonus - you'll workout harder because you'll feel better. Trust me, give it a go.

Thank you, you are pretty similar in stats. heaviest I was about 140. Appreciate your response.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Last month you were given some excellent advice, and that was to increase your calories. But you're still talking about1200 calories, which means you haven't actually taken the advice and increased. Stop thinking of calories as such a scary thing. The world is not going to end if you eat more than 1200 calories. What does happen though, is you give your body the nutrients it needs and is craving. Give your body more of what it needs and you'll probably see some change. Also, the closer you are to goal, the closer to maintenance calories you should be eating. I *personally* think you're trying to be too aggressive (with your calorie goal) for the amount of weight you want to lose. But certainly start implementing the advice already given.