How far are you willing to go for your pet?

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I paid $42 for a hamster to have her pouch sewn up after the vet took out impacted bedding. What does that make me?

awesome:heart:

^this^
  • whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It means you have a big heart. My adopted rescue pet is a huge *kitten* to me, despite the love, care, attention, and toys I give him. He enjoys biting me every time I touch him. However, I made a commitment to him, and will care for him til death do us part.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a rescue bearded collie. We've had her 10 years, and guess she was about 5 when we got her. We set $1000 limit on vet bills for her a number of years ago, we went over that a year or so ago. I'm hoping she doesn't wake up one morning, as she is a very intelligent dog who hates going to the vet, and she would catch on if I had to take her for that last car ride...
  • JumpinJill
    JumpinJill Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I did not read all the replies, but wanted to put my say in. For me, I would pay any vet bill that came my way for my animals. I do agree that humans are more than animals and so forth, however, I am a strong believer that once you take an animal in your home, you are responsible for it. That means for all of it's care, vet bills and yes, unexpected vet bills and health emergencies. I think that is the promise you make an animal. In return they give you everything they have, loyalty, friendship and companionship. Putting an animal down because of an accident or a tumor? I couldn't. I wouldn't do that to a friend, I wouldn't do it to my animals.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the posts but I will say we have 2 Savannah cats and I got them knowing they are a giant pain in the butt. :) I love my boys to death but the one decided to eat the stuffing from his dog toy. Yes he killed and demolished a dog toy, and the wonderful non-biodegradable stuffing (grumbles fracken idiot companies) got impacted. We now have the toys kept away at night because of this. But after 2 days at the vet and a nice big vet bill I wouldn't have it any other way. My boys are our kids. I would do anything I could to keep them healthy. They will be 4 in March. :)

Oh and the other one has allergies to cat litter dust so he is in and out of the vet all the time with URI from it. He also was also breach and deprived oxygen at birth and is a little bit slow, so we took him on knowing that he might have some problems because of this.

4691731_2139.jpg4691731_7764.jpg
  • HarleyFatboyFan
    HarleyFatboyFan Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    All the way! Two weeks ago my 14yr. old Black Lab started bleeding internally and had to have a blood transfusion. My vet did everything he was able to do for him but he couldn't find out why he was bleeding or where he was bleeding from. He contacted Virginia Tech Veterinary School and they put him in ICU. The school found the problem and treated him. All of this took place in a two week period. My Vets bill came to $2100.00 and VT Vet School bill came to $2200.00. It was worth every cent I spent and I'd do it again if he needed it.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    How much pain will this mean for the dog?
  • HarleyFatboyFan
    HarleyFatboyFan Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    How much pain will this mean for the dog?
    None He had a bleeding ulcer and has stopped bleeding. He is his old self again.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    B4 the economy crashed and I was getting paid well. I spent a little over 10,000 on chemo for my 7 y.o. dog. I had it and I didn't hesitate (much). Now that I am making less and have a child I wouldn't be able to do it. But the guilt would vertainly eat away at me. Despite what some people are saying herr, pets are not disposable and if you feeel that way please leave them in the stores and shelters because you shouldn't have them. Get a goldfish.
  • HerbertNenenger
    Options
    My fiance and I are pretty well off (not saying this to brag, just in response to the 'most people I know that have money that wouldn't spend it on their pet' in OP's post) and our dog is absolutely 100% a full on family member and we'd do anything to insure a happy and healthy life. Even if he needed medicine three times a day, a wheelchair, tens of thousands of dollars in surgery... whatever! We'd do it.

030e495a-3e3f-4f65-aea1-53e34dc978b2_zps87adef4d.jpg
    Waffles, my fur baby <3

I do think there is a point at which you have to think about the pet's quality of life and if you're just being selfish in keeping him/her alive then yes, it may be time to let them go over the rainbow bridge... Sometimes you have to make really hard decisions like that.
  • HerbertNenenger
    Options
    Is that real fur you"re wearing in your profile pic?
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your dog. My chihuahua slipped a disc and her front half was paralyzed. Thankfully it was only temporary and she didn't need the surgery because I couldn't afford it. I did drop a pretty penny getting her healthy though. Now my 16 year old catdog (dog, stuck in a cat body) is in kidney failure and I take him in every 2 weeks for sub-q fluids, injections every month, special foods, blood work, etc...but I told the vet I will not hospitalize him again. If and when he lets me know it's time or is suffering I will do the humane thing, but I'm going to enjoy our remaining time while he's living a good life. Both health situations for the pets made me realize where my limits are. If it causes them more pain, if living is pain and I am prolonging things to comfort myself, it's time to let go. They're not disposable, they are beloved family members who have always had better health care than me.

I will spend every penny I have as long as it means less pain for the animal. That being said, $5k is over my limit.

I hope your pup heals and is pain free.