How far are you willing to go for your pet?

Options

Replies

• JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    When it comes to my babies (2 cats, a turtle and bird) I spare no expense to improve their quality of life. If after consulting with my vet, there was a chance to improve his/her quality of life I wouldn't bat an eye. I made a commitment when I adopted each one of them to give them the best possible care for the rest of their lives. I don't put a price tag on a life.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    if i had the money no dout i'd spend it on my fur babys. my oldest is an 18 year old cats. past cats we had 5 included past away i wish i could of save them. but i didn't have the cash. i payed to have them cremated when i make it home i'm going to burry them with my dad. theres no other option there family and staying with us
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have a 13 year old pug (Yoda). He's ruptured discs twice. The first rupture happened when he was just three and caused paralysis from mid-back down. Basically, he dragged his hindquarters like a seal. He spent almost a month at Virginia Tech's veterinary teaching hospital. He did recover about 80% of his mobility, but he trots oddly. The second rupture was less severe and he was able to recover with a few weeks of crate rest. He's also had bladder stones that obstructed his urethra four different times - all requiring major surgical intervention. Last year, he had cancerous tumors removed from his chest.

Despite all these issues he's endured, he's a happy, frisky, comfortable dog. We love him, but he's been very, very expensive!

Our other two pugs have been pretty much trouble free and we don't have children, so it's worth it to me to put extra money into Yoda's care.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Well let's see in the past week, I paid $1400 for my schnauzer to have surgery to have a pea removed from up her nose..yes..a pea..in April, same girl was about $1000 to have a malignant tumor removed..when her sister schnauzer was less than a year old we paid almost $3000 to have her double cataracts removed..
    my pets are my children :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    emmydoodle, Good for you for having the means to help your dog. A young dog, and a knowledgeable owner led to this decision.

I'm also with ldrosophila who railed at the breeders. Across breeds there are many genetic errors and it becomes exceedingly difficult for potential caretakers to make good medical decisions. There is no standard solution. Each caretaker has to make his/her own decisions on major medical. No one decision is right or wrong.

I'm glad your pup is on the mend.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    My fur babies are my babies and always will be. For me it's no question, and I'll spend anything I have to for them. At the same time though, this is why I only have a cat right now. My boyfriend and I plan to get a doxie (rescue, not a breeder) when we can afford to have a savings account for him to pay for the vet bills. Even just having my cat gets expensive considering he has a habit of eating absolutely anything - his favorite being hair ties - and that causes his stomach to get blocked up. Not too fun paying those bills, but as hard as I try to get him not to eat things, he does it anyway, and I'll continue paying to fix it as long as he's not suffering.

I had to put my first cat down at 6 years old when she got pancreatic cancer. It took a long time for the vet to determine what was wrong but in the meantime, we did xrays, meds, etc. and never once did money come into play in those decisions. I only put her down when nothing would work and she was so skinny from not eating that I knew she was suffering.

Sidenote, I think I'm going to come steal Dexter, OP. Hope you don't mind. :wink: He's adorable!!! My boyfriend and I are obsessed with dachshunds. The picture over our mantle is a doxie; we have a doxie pillow on our bed; I have a doxie necklace, etc. They're the best.

Glad Dexter is doing well. I hope you get to have a long time with him. :smile:
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'd put it down. Not spending $5,000 on a pet.

What he said.
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    I would spend as much as I need to for my pet. When I first decided to adopt my pet, I made a lifetime agreement with my pet to take care of him and treat him well. He became my responsibility and since I absolutely love my pet, I would do anything to better his situation if he were to ever get injured. In my opinion, animals shouldn't be pushed into homes or be euthanized every time they become an inconvenience to their owner. I know the popular opinion in that human needs overpower animal needs. But pets are part of the family and their needs count equally to that of humans. I mean, if you don't want to take care of a pet and take responsibility of him/her, then don't get a pet! But on another note, I'm glad your doggie is getting better :)
  • cjsroute24
    cjsroute24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow. $5,000. I love my dog and cats, but Wow. $5,000. I have to say that I can guarantee that my husband would no way no how let me spend that kind of money. If I was single and could in any way, shape or form afford it, yeah, I would. Since I have a husband and kids and that $5,000 is not just laying around collecting dust, I just don't know.

Luckily, my sister is a vet, so I only have to pay cost on things she uses, so the 3 surgeries she's had to do on my animals cost very little. Thank goodness, because my husband does not really like animals and would get mad if I had to pay full vet prices!! :)
  • CLL1001
    CLL1001 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am with the OP, I would do whatever I could if the dog or cat would be able to live a happy life. They are family.

I agree. We had an American Bulldog who got cancer and we ended up having him euthanized but only because there was only a small chance he would have even made it through the surgery because of his age...and even then if he survived his quality of life would have been very poor. But if they would have told us he would most likely be fine after surgery there is no doubt that we would have spent the money, even if it meant having to use credit to pay for it. We spend almost $1000 in tests just to find out what was wrong with him.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hello there,
    So recently I had a situation where my dachshund (5 years old) slipped a disc and became paralyzed from the waist down making surgery his only real chance to walk again. I know everyone is different and has different opinions on what they would do for their sick or injured pet. For me there was no question about the money(it was less than $5000) To have him be able to walk again and pee on his own. Keep in mind these dogs are happy and healthy and can live perfectly happy lives, as any person in a wheelchair can. Just more work for you and there is really no reason to euthanize, most vets dont' consider that an option, unless there is pain or suffering. So what's your limit, how far will you go? My husbands friend was raised on a farm and said you can buy a lot of dogs with that money, I of course feel that Dexter is only 5 and I certainly can't just go out and get another Dexter. I dont' care much for money and would much rather have my happiness from my dog, can't really snuggle up to the cash. So what kind of pet owner are you?

also I was very surprised to find out that most of the people I talked to that have money and I do mean HAVE money, wouldn't really spend much to save/help their pet.

I have never been confronted with such a situation and don't know what I would do. I did however knowingly adopt a ten month old Rat Terrier who was abandoned because she was blind and had the equivalent of juvenile diabetes. I spent what needed to be spent each month on insulin, syringes, and lancettes for the glucose meter. I had Rubi for almost nine years and during that time I did not go on any fancy vacation ( not even not-so-fancy ones ) because the vacation money I spent knowingly/willingly each month on Rubi. It was a choice I made and I understand fully that others might make a different one. I now have dog insurance for my healthy dog that covers sudden illness, trauma and emergencies, but not month-to-month vet care and yearly check-ups and vaccinations.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow morning my almost 10 year old cockerspaniel is having surgery to repair a cranial cruciate ligament rupture (for the past week I've had to carry him outside and hold up his hind end so he could use the bathroom). Even with pet insurance, I still have to shell out hundreds of dollars for the deductible. I can't afford it, but found a way to pay for it anyway (I'm picking up extra shifts waiting tables). I'm a student, with an unpredictable income from a series of odd jobs, and I have lots of bills. But my dogs are my babies, I don't believe in euthanasia unless the animal is in pain and clearly suffering without any hope. If there is a chance for them to have a long happy life, even if it means extra work for me.. I'm all for doing whatever is necessary to make it happen.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Have spent literally thousands on my animal friends, good on you OP.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've always done whatever I could to help my pets, as has my family. My cats are my children basically, & I adore them to pieces. I'd never want to lose them, but I know it happens unfortunately. I guess it depends on the situation, where their health is like, & if it's something that can be helped or fixed. Some situations, there really aren't any options unfortunately. But I'd definitely do what I could to help them.
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,855 Member
    Options
    It truly depends on quality, age, projected diagnosis and everything. It is not always a money matter with me. My extended family includes 4 ****zus, one takes monthly shots for arthritis And meds his thyroid. And prescription food. Another is 12 and in good health. The baby, who is 7 is also in good health. The 8 year old we inherited when he was five. He has Addisons disease and takes daily meds. They all go to their groomer every other Friday. Then there is my almost healthy 16 year old kitty. He is long haired and needs a bath. Any volunteers? And the oldest, also inherited, 20 year old kitty. He is a twice a day insulin user. Also on prescription diet. We also have a salt water tank. My life revolves around their care and happiness.

They are all boys, I so am out numbered here. And one kitty and three pups sleep with us every night. They are our kids. Hugs to them all.

Shelley
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    People shouldn't have pets if they aren't prepared to spend that money on them.

You wouldn't have kids then decide when they need money spent on them that you can't afford them anymore and put them down, so it shouldn't be this way with pets.

Well they probably would never expect to have to pay that amount for crying out loud!!

And believe it or not, yes people do indeed have kids when they cannot afford it, but that is not what you are doing presumably because you sound as though you have tons and tons and tons of dosh, so this doesn't apply to you does it :mad:

In answer to the OP, not everybody can afford that sudden outlay and a medical condition such as a slipped disc on a dog is not something that can be put aside and be told to wait, I felt for your dog when you said what he/she had wrong with them. I sincerely hope all went ok.
  • mrsslls
    mrsslls Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'd do anything for my dog, it's a family member rather then a pet to me.

^this! She provides me with unconditional love, I won't let her down if she needs me. I understand that people may not have a spare few thousand dollars just lying around but monthly pet insurance is very affordable, it's part of being a responsible pet owner.
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    People shouldn't have pets if they aren't prepared to spend that money on them.

You wouldn't have kids then decide when they need money spent on them that you can't afford them anymore and put them down, so it shouldn't be this way with pets.

Our whole society tends to THROW PETS AWAY. So guess what. Honestly, if the surgery was that expensive, I kind of doubt I would pay for it for my dog. I love both my pups. But there are 1,000's in shelters in my state alone. I might adopt a new animal and care for it if the condition was too uncomfortable for my animal, or if it would decrease their quality of life. I'm fairly certain that my golden will have hip displacement within her lifetime, and typical age of golden's dying these days is between 6 and 8 years old. If she was close to that I would probably cut my losses and save another animal. It doesn't mean I don't love her. It means that I understand our society is one that often throws things away. Living things. I have to make my own decision on how to balance out that negative part of American life. Having been to kill shelters vs no kill shelters, I'd also vote for the kill shelter.

Why? Because in a no kill where everything is run on donations they are often kept in squalor, have fleas, are subject to getting into fights with other dogs they are kenneled with, and often do not have a chance of being adopted. What kind of life is that? It's not.

All the kill shelters have been clean, have several volunteers to walk dogs and do grooming, but get a bad rep because they kill the animals we decide we don't have time for. I don't see any decent way to get people to stop breeding, and indeed, I HATE most liscensed breeders because I can't afford 1200 or more for a dog, but I can pay for food, walk them and get them preventative vet care. I also don't want to deal with the problems that inbreeding causes. Give me a mutt any day and don't try to sell it to me as a "designer hybrid".
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Hello there,
    So recently I had a situation where my dachshund (5 years old) slipped a disc and became paralyzed from the waist down making surgery his only real chance to walk again. I know everyone is different and has different opinions on what they would do for their sick or injured pet. For me there was no question about the money(it was less than $5000) To have him be able to walk again and pee on his own. Keep in mind these dogs are happy and healthy and can live perfectly happy lives, as any person in a wheelchair can. Just more work for you and there is really no reason to euthanize, most vets dont' consider that an option, unless there is pain or suffering. So what's your limit, how far will you go? My husbands friend was raised on a farm and said you can buy a lot of dogs with that money, I of course feel that Dexter is only 5 and I certainly can't just go out and get another Dexter. I dont' care much for money and would much rather have my happiness from my dog, can't really snuggle up to the cash. So what kind of pet owner are you?

also I was very surprised to find out that most of the people I talked to that have money and I do mean HAVE money, wouldn't really spend much to save/help their pet.

My dogs are my best friend and I would do anything for them. i ran into a situation similar to yours two years ago, and i didnt have that kind of money. I suggest looking into Speaking for Spot, they paid my hole surgery for me and did the surgery itself. This hole throwing their pet away if their broken idea makes me sick, some people should not have pets!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I haven't read the other responses before replying.

Our dog (collie) is very very loved and I would do anything within my power to maintain her quality of life or reduce her suffering if she were ill or injured. I don't care what it would cost. I would use our savings, sell jewellery, even the car if I had to. She's a living thing, she is family and that's that!!

However, I would not extend her life if it meant continued suffering and poor quality of life for her only so that I could keep her with me for longer. Sometimes it's a tough call to know when that point comes and it takes great courage to put their needs before yours and let them go. x

Both my dog and cat have their own health insurance and I made sure I read the small print, so life long conditions they may develop are covered. It's under £20 a month for them both and that's cheap for peace of mind.