Pastry Chef: Immoral and Unethical?

Options

Replies

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just think it’s wrong for someone to knowingly provide sugar laden treats to others knowing the harm it causes.

Grow up, geeeez.

Pastries and sugar are not evil. They are beautiful creations to be enjoyed sometimes. A friend of yours is doing something cool with their life and all you can do is demonize them and the tasty art they create? If your friend was strapping diabetics down in chairs and shooting them up with sugar, then I might agree that it's unethical. But you're stretching this way too far. Learn to appreciate good things.
    See, isn't that pretty much what Ry is doing by posting this thread about delicious, sugary, melt-in-your-mouth pastries? On a calorie-counting Web site, of all places? He should be ashamed of himself.

I agree. On a website full of food adicts, mentioning sticky yummy foods is like mentioning heroin to a junkie.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I ate a salted caramel cupcake today.

It looked like this:

chocolate-cupcakes-salted-caramel-frosting-426x640.jpg

Thanks, OP. YOU DID THIS!!!

I think I gained 5 pounds after looking at this. Thanks
    And what did you do? You went right along and spread the problem. Now we have a full-fledged epidemic. Way to go.
    ETA: Oops.
  • whitebalance
    Options
    I read all nine pages of this thread... Couldn't stop thinking about delicious, mouth-watering, succulent gourmet pastries... Binged on about 4,000 calories' worth of Pop-Tarts and other evil sugary wages of sin. Now I'm gonna gain 10 pounds overnight.

Ryry, you sick *kitten*. This is all your fault.

It seems like you are joking...but this is kind of my point. Nobody goes into a pastry shop and eats half a pastry when they are addicted. They typically lose control and binge. What is wrong with thinking that preventing that is a good idea?
    I am every bit as serious as you are. Way to sabotage the entire MFP community, man.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

It looked like this:

And what did you do? You went right along and spread the problem. Now we have a full-fledged epidemic. Way to go.

Because I am evil, I am replying again and including the photo of the amazing and delicious salted caramel cupcake.
    I'm pleased to see that my diabolical plot is working!
  • whitebalance
    Options

It looked like this:

Because I am evil, I am replying again and including the photo of the amazing and delicious salted caramel cupcake.
    I'm pleased to see that my diabolical plot is working!
    Well. Someone is clearly not here for the same reason as the rest of us!
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I got out of the business (I'm a professionally trained pastry chef, now working at a nonprofit)! As much as I love seeing the look on someone's face when they eat my creation, I couldn't get over the fact that I was contributing to society's obesity epidemic.

I still make birthday/baby shower treats out of my home, but that's as far as I'll go.
    So people getting older or having babies are allowed to get fat and that doesn't bother you? You hate old pepole and mothers, then. I see.
    Doesn't everyone hate old people and mothers?

Ah yes... The true meaning of family ;)
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Doing my part to contribute to the roll.

OP, keep on fighting the good fight.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I got out of the business (I'm a professionally trained pastry chef, now working at a nonprofit)! As much as I love seeing the look on someone's face when they eat my creation, I couldn't get over the fact that I was contributing to society's obesity epidemic.

I still make birthday/baby shower treats out of my home, but that's as far as I'll go.
    So people getting older or having babies are allowed to get fat and that doesn't bother you? You hate old pepole and mothers, then. I see.
    Doesn't everyone hate old people and mothers?
    If we were friends, this is where I'd make a mom joke.
  • krazeedr
    krazeedr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Best thread ever. You sir win the internet.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Wow…I am still shocked my topic got this much attention. Quite frankly, I can’t say I’m surprised that the derisive and haughty comments have not abated but only seemingly intensified. Understanding the culture of this place will forever remain elusive to me it seems.

To the many who PM’d me their words of support, I thank you. I understand now your hesitancy to place those comments publicly.

To those who chose to save the most lethal of your arrows for PM’s, dipped in poison and ready to strike, well you have received your due reward.

I’m not sure if I will go, not sure if it even matters anymore. For those interested I might update on what happens. I’ll just leave these words to remember as we back into the future. Hopefully a little wiser and more understanding.

“One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.”
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Wow…I am still shocked my topic got this much attention. Quite frankly, I can’t say I’m surprised that the derisive and haughty comments have not abated but only seemingly intensified. Understanding the culture of this place will forever remain elusive to me it seems.

To the many who PM’d me their words of support, I thank you. I understand now your hesitancy to place those comments publicly.

To those who chose to save the most lethal of your arrows for PM’s, dipped in poison and ready to strike, well you have received your due reward.

I’m not sure if I will go, not sure if it even matters anymore. For those interested I might update on what happens. I’ll just leave these words to remember as we back into the future. Hopefully a little wiser and more understanding.

“One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.”

GaIYBnQ.gif
  • lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Be nice. Go. Nuff said.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    This is the post that never ends,
    It just goes on and on my friends,
    Some people started commenting not knowing what it was,
    And they'll continue commenting forever just because, this is the post that never ends,
    It just goes on and on my friends..............
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Look, i personally eat organic non-gmo foods 99% of the time.

The 1% of the time i DO actually eat what i truly crave or want. With no regrets.

This is why alot of us here eat in moderation. So we don't deprive ourselves.

You make it seem like her customers are going to eat her pastries all day, everyday, 24/7.

It's not HER fault that she is going to enjoy & get paid for doing what she loves.

She is not forcing nor making ANYONE stuff their faces with whatever food THEY personally choose.

You don't have to agree or even support with what your friend will be doing, but if it really bothers you that much sir, then you should probably do what i do & just worry about what goes in YOUR mouth & YOUR health instead. Simple.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,099 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the excellent emphasis details. Impressive use of bracketing.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

The 1% of the time i DO actually eat what i truly crave or want. With no regrets.

You make it seem like her customers are going to eat her pastries all day, everyday, 24/7.

It's not HER fault that she is going to enjoy & get paid for doing what she loves.

She is not forcing nor making ANYONE stuff their faces with whatever food THEY personally choose.

You don't have to agree or even support with what your friend will be doing, but if it really bothers you that much sir, then you should probably do what i do & just worry about what goes in YOUR mouth & YOUR health instead. Simple.
    so are we supposed to yell those bolded and underlined words if we read out loud?
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

so are we supposed to yell those bolded and underlined words if we read out loud?

It's what I did. Since then things have been weird between my in-laws and I.
  • DrunkenFaeGirl
    Options
    1000x500px-LL-c28b345c_gleason_not_sure_if_serious.jpeg

^^^^ I was looking for a "J/K" at the end of the post.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    What's her name I will welcome her to the dark side with open arms and we will laugh a evil laugh as we get rich making America fat!

Muahahaha