What to focus on at the gym

Options
So I just got a gym membership like a week ago and I have gone everyday. I am focusing on cardio right now (spot reduction doesn't work blah blah blah) I do use the arm machines but being out of shape after like two days my arms burned badly. My question is at 5'8 175 should I focus on cardio and just not worry about weights/machines until I am skinnier than I can start toning? I figure if I do tons of cardio to lose my over all weight, it will be easier to tone up.

Also my gym has new treadmill how accurate is the calorie burned info? I do enter my weight/age though but not height or anything. I like that the treadmill tells that I burned 400-600 calories or whatever, when I do the other arm/leg machines I dont even know what that burns.

Replies

• anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    You want an accurate calorie burned count, might I suggest a Heart Rate Monitor. I have found that gym machines and MFP over estimate calorie burns. I am using a Polar FT4 HRM and I am happy with my calorie burn counts.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    So I just got a gym membership like a week ago and I have gone everyday. I am focusing on cardio right now (spot reduction doesn't work blah blah blah) I do use the arm machines but being out of shape after like two days my arms burned badly. My question is at 5'8 175 should I focus on cardio and just not worry about weights/machines until I am skinnier than I can start toning? I figure if I do tons of cardio to lose my over all weight, it will be easier to tone up.

Also my gym has new treadmill how accurate is the calorie burned info? I do enter my weight/age though but not height or anything. I like that the treadmill tells that I burned 400-600 calories or whatever, when I do the other arm/leg machines I dont even know what that burns.

Lift free weights now and do your cardio if you want.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    You want an accurate calorie burned count, might I suggest a Heart Rate Monitor. I have found that gym machines and MFP over estimate calorie burns. I am using a Polar FT4 HRM and I am happy with my calorie burn counts.

Over estimate by how much?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights while losing fat = "toning" by most people's definition of the word. You are removing the fat and keeping the muscle you already have. I'd look into a good beginner's program like Strong Lifts 5x5 (a website and downloadable pdf) or maybe New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women (a book).

In order to burn 10 calories a minute you have to work out pretty damn hard, so keep that in mind when estimating burns.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I would say around 25-40%. Just a guestimate.

And yes, lift weights now. In fact, lift weights yesterday.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Lifting weights while losing fat = "toning" by most people's definition of the word. You are removing the fat and keeping the muscle you already have. I'd look into a good beginner's program like Strong Lifts 5x5 (a website and downloadable pdf) or maybe New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women (a book).

In order to burn 10 calories a minute you have to work out pretty damn hard, so keep that in mind when estimating burns.

Well my gym has I guess the basic generic set of arm and leg machines and then a free weight area. Should I do free weights or the machines?
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Lift weights and do cardio.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

Well my gym has I guess the basic generic set of arm and leg machines and then a free weight area. Should I do free weights or the machines?

Free weights. Watch the videos. Pay very close attention to form. Start slow and light.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest hiring a trainer for a few sessions so they can help you with form and a schedule. Ask them to show you different moves with free weights. And yes, start doing them. Yesterday.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Free weights. Watch the videos. Pay very close attention to form. Start slow and light.

just belaboring the point that you should be doing a tried and true program like the one above. You could also look into Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women...but just willy nilly picking up weights without following a program isn't going to get you much of anywhere.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    just willy nilly picking up weights without following a program isn't going to get you much of anywhere.

Agreed.
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options

just belaboring the point that you should be doing a tried and true program like the one above. You could also look into Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women...but just willy nilly picking up weights without following a program isn't going to get you much of anywhere.

I think picking up weights or doing certain machines correctly would easily get me somewhere. I can watch videos on how to use weights and I can also just look online