The Daniel Fast

Options
13»

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    The Daniel fast is not a fast as thought of by most. It is mainly a plant based diet. It is not necessarily severely calorie restricted.

No meat, no junk, water only to drink. I've seen worse.

No junk? My husband would be a sad panda.

I C WUT U DID THAR
  • Hopeful146
    Hopeful146 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This was the first time I posted a question here - and I regret it.

I was looking for feedback from Christians who experienced the Daniel Fast. All that extra nonsense and negativity wasn't necessary.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you were only wanting opinions from a specific group of people you would do better to find a Christian group and ask them.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

I was looking for feedback from Christians who experienced the Daniel Fast. All that extra nonsense and negativity wasn't necessary.

The
    internet.gif?w=595
    ...welcome to it. :flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

So unless you belong to a specific religious group you aren't supposed to have an opinion about a fast on a board labelled "food and nutrition".
    So much for religious tolerance.
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    wow people's attitudes on here have been pretty shocking. Someone is asking for genuine input on a genuine health and eating regime. There are lots of differents ones and far more dangerous ones about so how about some constructive comments instead of tearing into people. We're here to support eachother, not bash them down. Grow up!

A family member of mine did a daniel fast for 5 years, don't know if it is the same one that you are doing, I think they had a book. It was partly a religious fasting and mental preparedness and partly for dieting. They did well and looked good.

Only problem is when you come off and reintroducing 'normal' foods as one can balloon after.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Historically speaking, Daniel was a Jewish boy who was Pharoh's captive and refused foods that weren't Kosher. As a result, he couldn't eat the meat supplied by Pharoh. He was strong and brave, and was admired by Pharoh. Since Pharoh didn't serve kosher meats, Daniel abstained. His diet is not inherently unhealthy but it might be quite a shock to those who regularly eat non-kosher foods, including me.

Unfortunately, there are some folks here on MFP who like to use sarcasm as a form of humor, and practice intolerance of other peoples views. They do make some decent points about being careful to meet your nutritional needs.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Historically speaking, Daniel was a Jewish boy who was Pharoh's captive and refused foods that weren't Kosher. As a result, he couldn't eat the meat supplied by Pharoh. He was strong and brave, and was admired by Pharoh. Since Pharoh didn't serve kosher meats, Daniel abstained. His diet is not inherently unhealthy but it might be quite a shock to those who regularly eat non-kosher foods, including me.

Unfortunately, there are some folks here on MFP who like to use sarcasm as a form of humor, and practice intolerance of other peoples views. They do make some decent points about being careful to meet your nutritional needs.

I have seen no religious intolerance in this thread except being told that only Christians should post their opinion.
    Most diets are not "inherently unhealthy" however a diet like the Daniel Fast does tend to be low protein and low fat in practice. It doesn't have to be - but it's much more difficult to get sufficient quantities of protein if you eliminate all animal products and processed food like supplements. 21 days? Not a major issue - but losing 3-5 lbs of LBM on purpose is a poor choice when you have other options. 5 years of this? I'd love to understand how one does that strictly and maintains minimum RDA levels of protein and fat. I'm open to hearing that.

Btw Nebuchadnezzar was a king not a "pharoh" (sic). But that's neither here nor there.
  • tourpublishing
    Options
    Hi everyone. I noticed quite a bit of inaccurate info. on this forum about The Daniel Fast. I did the Daniel Fast several times, and at one time did the fast for 37 days in a row. It's primarily a spiritual experience based on Daniel's Diet (See The Book Of Daniel). Since Daniel did not want to defile himself with "royal food" he asked to be given only vegetables and water. However, there are many versions of this fast. Mostly, this involves no meat, no sugar, no bread, no caffeine, among many other foods. This can also include fasting from things like T.V., or video games.

God bless!

Sincerely,

Terrance Day, Author
    Web: www.danielfast.net
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This fast got me started in the right direction last January. I lost 40 pounds total last year (not all during the fast). I feel it helped with cleansing my body of toxins (just prior to it a blood vessel in my eye busted and had other digestive issues). It also gave me more energy as well as losing the cravings for things I shouldn't eat. I learned how to make delisious green smoothies which I have continued even after the fast was over. After those few weeks I no longer wanted some foods I used to eat.

What to do about protein: beans, natural peanut butter, nuts not coated in sugar.
    Fats: oils found in peanut butter as well as almost any cooking oil and olive oil.
    You can have unleavened breads like corn tortillas and whole wheat tortillas.
    Did you know plain shredded wheat is okay to eat. I have it with unsweetened almond milk and raisins or bananas.
    Don't forget to include brown rice and whole wheat pasta. I usually get some vege pasta and wolfgang puck's marinara sauce which has no added sugar. For the sweet tooth, dates are great treat.

So I didn't starve but I was cleansed. I no longer have digestive issues such as heartburn and acid reflux or gallbladder pain.
    As for my faith, I believe it has allowed me to grow and have greater success than I ever had last year. I finally graduated from college, lost 40 pounds, saw my mother and father together for the first time in my life, I got a great job, began running and ran faster than I ever thought I would as well as doing a few 5ks. And I became Zumba instuctor licenced.
    So I'd have to say the Daniel Fast was a start of something great for me. Renewing my mind, body and spirit.
  • clukacevic
    clukacevic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have found the fast to basically be a vegan diet. Tofu is allowed. And, it is a spiritual cleansing as well. I am losing weight on it, because I'm counting calories but that does not have to be the main focus. You could certainly get all your protein
    and fats on this diet. I'm actually loving the spiritual growth and physical cleansing during this time of lent.