getting ready for a 5K

Options
I've just joined this group on the recommendation of a friend. I really want to lose weight and get in shape. My first goal is a 5K in about a month and a half away. I know I won't be able to run the whole 5K but I can walk/run and it is my first goal I'm setting for myself. Since I've voiced it on here it makes it more real! Any advice?

Replies

• DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    welcome to MyFitnessPal!

I too am getting ready for a 5k, it will be my first one ever! mine is also about a month and a half away, i currently run 3 miles on a treadmill in 33 minutes but outdoors is another story! I do not have any idea how well i can run outdoors.

my advice is... baby steps. start small and increase your exercise slowly and you should be good! good luck to you
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm getting ready for a 5K on Sept 18. I'm halfway thru Week 4 of the Couch to 5K program. I'm also using DJ Beatsmith podcast, which is music to run/walk by with tones on when to change from walk to run and back. Other people are using Ullrey's podcast. We have a Topic going called Couch to 5K, if you'd like to join. Good luck.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Congrats on at least knowing when you'll do one. That is one of my first goals too. I've started the couch to 5k program and I'm finishing up week 3. I've not scheduled any 5k's yet though.
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I would highly recommend trying out the "Couch to 5K " program on coolrunning.com. I "graduated" from the program a few months ago and still can't believe I'm able to run 30 mins straight. I lost about 20lbs doing it and then went through a move and lost my strength. Restarting it on week 4 now and still doing better than before the program. If you do it, I'd suggest using the free podcasts to help you. Then it will tell you when to walk or run with out you needing to keep a stopwatch. If you have an ipod, go to "podcasts for running" under C25K the person who does is named Robert Ullrey. Good luck and You CAN do it ! Promise :)
  • Chrissun
    Chrissun Posts: 148
    Options
    I agree...Couch to 5K. Even if you're only on week 4 you'll still be running 1/2 the time! Averaging 4mph vs 3mph (just walking) could cut your time by 15 minutes.
  • sweidner
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! Wow, what fast responses. I think I'm going to like this site! I agree DeeJayTJ, baby steps. I just have to remember that. Also, thank you all for suggesting Couch to 5K. What a great program! I'm going to start that today. Now, I also have to work on my sweet addiction. I can't seem to stay away...... :(
  • goal30Lori
    goal30Lori Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am also doing the Couch to 5k program, with a 5k scheduled for October 3rd! I've found running to be very relaxing and as good for my brain as my body, LOL! Feel free to add me if you'd like! We can motivate each other!
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hello, i have done 2 5ks in the last 2 yrs the 1st i jogged and walked and did it in 47mins and the second i had to walk as my sister who had an operation on her hip 7days before was doin the 5k with me. we amazingly did in 53mins with her on crutches. you get an amazing buzz for the atmosphere there and the fact you know u have done it. my goal for next year is to run the full 5k.

as for advice i would say to go bed early night before and get up early and have meal before you leave and take plenty of water. AND start with the high group this way u can set ur own pace and wont get clumped in with the pushchairs and kids. we started with the walkers and regrted it our 1st k took us 20mins the folowing 4k then took us 33mins as we had managed to push past the stollers!