How Long Can I Rest?

Options
I normally strength train 3x a wk(sometimes 4) and I do at least 90mins of cardio everyday(usually more)... How many days can I rest before I lose progress or notice a difference? Would taking a week off hurt?

Replies

• ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've had to take a month off when i hurt my Achilles. It only took me three days to get back into the usual swing with my cardio and weights abt a week.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I've had to take a month off when i hurt my Achilles. It only took me three days to get back into the usual swing with my cardio and weights abt a week.

Was it hard to get back into your routine mentally? Did your muscles feel weaker after going so long w/o working out?
  • NathanielJL
    NathanielJL Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty consistent workout! Similar to mine. In response, taking a week off is fine, to let your muscle grow and let them go back to their normal/unripped state before you did the workouts. Just make sure you keep up with your nutrition and don't go overboard when other people around you try and force you otherwise. For you to notice how much progress you've done and realise you've lost progress, you won't really notice a difference, you should feel more stronger (hopefully) since new muscle has grown.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    That's a pretty consistent workout! Similar to mine. In response, taking a week off is fine, to let your muscle grow and let them go back to their normal/unripped state before you did the workouts. Just make sure you keep up with your nutrition and don't go overboard when other people around you try and force you otherwise. For you to notice how much progress you've done and realise you've lost progress, you won't really notice a difference, you should feel more stronger (hopefully) since new muscle has grown.

Thanks!! :) That'd be awesome if I felt stronger after taking a break.. Sounds ironic!
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Mentally a tad bit bc doing the elliptical can be BORING!!! but i always pick really jumpy music and try to keep up with the beat. which helps a lot.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could personally ever take a week off, 'cause I feel like it'd make it harder for me to keep the motivation going. To me, it's a matter of personal preference though as to what you feel your body needs. I've considered resting Saturday & Sunday, instead of just Saturday, but I don't think I could go more than two days.
    As long as you're still eating clean, & what-not, it shouldn't be a bad thing to take a week off.