Friends arnt supportive, need some advise

I've been trying to lose weight for a while now and I just keep going up and down. Every time I lose, I get cocky and just gain it all back sometimes more. I usually did really good when I went to the gym. Exercising really helped and made me feel better and more determined to stay on my diet. Unfortunately I don't drive and my mom doesn't want to take me to the gym anymore. I also live in a small town so there are no busses that would be able to take me. So I ran into some money and caved. I bought an elliptical. This was my favorite thing to do at the gym and now I'm finally going to be able to do it in my house. Anyways, what m trying to get at is I told my friend the news about getting an elliptical and she wasn't too, well, supportive. I'm 22 and 240lbs and she is telling me I should be happy with my body, and to stop doing these harmful things to my body. (She's around the same age and weight) So my question is, how do you deal with people like this? I'm not happy with my body and want to lose 40lbs. I don't feel I'm being harmful to my body in any way, and I consume 1500-2000 calories a day. I also have another friend who things I'm limited to what I can do, because of my weight. An example: We went fishing the other day, and there's this really good spot down the river but its quite a walk. She was insisting on fishing off shore at the beginning of the trail because "she didn't want me to strain myself walking down river". For a bigger girl I would say I'm more active then others. I'm always hiking with my boyfriend. I'm just tired of trying to prove myself to her and I don't know how I can get her to stop. I've already told her I know my limits and if it gets to be too much ill speak up, but its not helping.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Easy. Don't deal with them. I understand wanting to share your victories, but they aren't the ones to do it with. Shout them from the rooftops here on MFP if you need to.

Also, why do you need to prove yourself to HER? You are accountable only to yourself. Find your motivation internally.
  • Easy. Don't deal with them. I understand wanting to share your victories, but they aren't the ones to do it with. Shout them from the rooftops here on MFP if you need to.

Also, why do you need to prove yourself to HER? You are accountable only to yourself. Find your motivation internally.

I feel like I need to prove myself to her because she's ALWAYS telling me I cant do the simplest of tasks, and has said some very rude things about people who are overweight. I have motivation for myself, I'm on a transplant list. And if I get called in before I lose the weight for a transplant, they will refuse to do the procedure and take me off the list. My motivation is to get down so when I do get called in, there will be no issues.