weight loss with little exercise

Options
I'm about a week into my diet and so far so good. I find it really easy to eat healthy food and I can see myself making this a lifetime diet. However, I'm finding it a little hard to figure out just what exactly to do for adequate exercise. I played a few sports and I guess you could say I was pretty athletic during high school so I know I am ABLE to do the work I just don't know where to start. I work third shift doing a job where I am on my feet for 8+ hours a night my job also requires some light to moderate lifting. I try to get outside to walk but the days are getting shorter and with my graveyard shift I am sort of nocturnal. Any suggestions on a basic start, or any good lifting suggestions for toning mainly stomach arms and legs. i would REALLY appreciate any suggestions :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up for you to lose weight with no exercise whatsoever. "Adequate" exercise is highly subjective as per your fitness goals. Just do what you like to do...I lift weights and I walk a lot, run some, and ride my bike around. I like training for events as well which further dictates how I'm training...but winter is largely about hitting the weight room.

Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster - just do what you like to do. The calorie goal that MFP gives you already includes the necessary deficit for your weight loss goals, but many people choose to exercise for fitness reasons (or to eat more... lol).

I lost pretty much all of my weight by doing workouts at home. I started out doing the 30 Day Shred, and you can find all 3 levels on YouTube for free. YouTube has LOTS of workouts for free. "Blogilates" is another very popular set of workouts. Over the months I've bought several Jillians Michaels DVDs just because I feel like she packs a lot of hard work into just 30 minutes, and 30 minutes of almost anything is survivable.
  • tindy5799
    tindy5799 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm a month into MPF, two months into losing weight altogether and I've lost 9 lbs.

During that time, I've thrown in three random workouts on days where I felt like going to the gym, wanted some more calories, or just had spare time. I weight lifted for 75% of my time at the gym and did cardio for the other 25%

I'm guessing it had very little bearing on my weight loss. You don't have to workout to lose weight. Strength training does help you lose fat, rather than just weight which could also be lean muscle mass. It's better to be lifting and dieting but not necessary.