Is too much sodium bad for weight loss?

Options
I just noticed that I am way over my sodium goal for the day, and I eat basically the same foods every day. I stay under my calorie goal, but should I look for foods less in sodium if I'm trying to lose body fat?

I mainly eat eggs, veggies, chicken, and oatmeal every day. Seems like a good combination of foods but my sodium total is a little worrisome.

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Sodium does not affect fat loss or gain.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Sodium does not affect fat loss or gain.

This ^^

You'll hold onto water for a longer time (up to a week maybe) but that's NOT fat. Don't trust the scale after a super salty meal. It will lie to you.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I read an article a while back that said for every 2000mg of sodium you take in a day your body holds on to 4lbs of water weight, in order to reduce this you should drink atleast 2L for every 1,000mg of sodium you intake. Since reading that artical I have followed that advice and I noticed my body feels alot better, I dont feel bloated and my weight doesnt vary so much every day. Can you imagin going over by 2000mg, thats 8lbs of water your body is holding on to O_O

Good luck
  • awedel21
    Options
    OK thanks guys! I drink a TON of water every day (probably around 3L) so I won't worry about it too much
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    In general I watch my sodium intake. I swapped all salt in cooking a year ago for Mrs Dash instead. I now don't add salt to meals when I cook. I will notice a big difference if i have a day of cheat meals with salty soups or chips and dip, i will retain water but it will leave in a few days with increased water intake,

i'd keep an eye on how much for various other health reasons
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    In general I watch my sodium intake. I swapped all salt in cooking a year ago for Mrs Dash instead. I now don't add salt to meals when I cook. I will notice a big difference if i have a day of cheat meals with salty soups or chips and dip, i will retain water but it will leave in a few days with increased water intake,

i'd keep an eye on how much for various other health reasons

Actually a lot of more recent studies are debunking the "evils" of sodium. In fact, many people don't get enough, especially if they workout vigorously...they end up with whacked out PH and electrolyte balance because they're trying to reduce sodium so much in conjunction with heavy exercise and substantial water intake.

It is far more important to keep your electrolytes in balance than it is to try to severely restrict sodium intake...this of course means that if your sodium intake is rather high, so to should your potassium be also high. I shoot for around 1.5 - 2 times + my sodium intake for potassium.