what extra bits and pieces dont you log

Options
zorbaru
zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
I have set my self to sedantry life style but 3 days a week i walk around my city as part of work. its not a lot, maybe 15 - 20 mins. i have also started taking the stairs at the car park on these days (7 flights).

i dont log either of these items. that way at the end of each week they are a bonus towards the final goal. individually the probably arent a lot but over a week it might add up to 500 - 600 calories.

also helps for those days that i got slightly over by 50 - 60

Replies

• guroprincess
    Options
    I don't log anything that I don't specifically set out to do as exercise. That means all the extra walking, etc doesn't get logged unless I went to the gym and got on the treadmill to walk.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Walking or biking to school to pick up the kids---about 1 mile round trip. Housework, laundry, gardening, walking up and down stairs.

Maybe they add up, but I don't think it adds up to more than my mis-estimates about the leanness of my cut of pork.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I've actually switched back and forth a few times between eating back my exercise calories and just building it in to a baseline caloric intake that already includes my exercise expenditure.

The way I have it at the moment I eat at close to maintenance calories (based on sedentary) and any exercise I do creates the deficit. With the amount I'm doing at the moment that should equate to a weekly deficit of around 4000 cals.

Either way I have never logged incidental activity like walking and taking the stairs at work. Like you I use that as a buffer - mostly to cover any incidental caloric intake through incorrect logging.
  • lindapeterson42
    lindapeterson42 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't log any activity outside of dedicated workouts, because I do have a certain amount of movement daily and I call that normal. I also don't log calories in a stick of sugar free gum or the calories in a vitamin chew. If I cant afford to put 10 calories past my lips without obsessing, Ive got issues. I do log all calories, no matter how small it may seem, if in a meal or part of a recipe(ie spices and low cal add ins) if Im cooking at home. Things like chewing gum are rare for me anyways.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that I don't specifically set out to do as exercise. That means all the extra walking, etc doesn't get logged unless I went to the gym and got on the treadmill to walk.

This.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I rarely log any exercise. I try to log all my food, but coffee. I use very little creamer, and it's just my 'thing' that I have and don't count.
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    I also don't log anything outside of dedicated gym exercise.... except if I'm doing heavy duty labour like cleaning the yacht or sailing. I do log dancing if I go out and decide to shake it up a bit.

I don't log any of my vitamins or "pill type" supplements which daily consist of:

1 x Phenadrine Xtreme
    6 x Phenadrine Zero
    6 x CLA
    1 x Atolip (statin for cholestrol)
    1 x Cilift (my anti-mad)
    3 x Osteoeze (for joints)
    1 x Centrum (multi-vitamin)
    1 x Caltrate (Calcium)
    1 x Viral Guard (Immune Booster)
    1 x Omega 3

Perhaps I should have a look at the values; if there is any calorie value; and see how much it takes up daily.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cars, so I rely on public transportation and my feet to get around. Bare minimum, I walk 3 miles each day just to do what I need. Weekends it can be closer to 10. I have my setting at lightly active and don't log any of my transportation. However, if I run all the way to work or home (5 miles) I log that because it's beyond the normal exercise. Although maybe I'd be more successful if on those days I subtracted out the calories I would have burned anyway from my walk to the train. Of course if I kept my settings the same and stopped eating cookies, I'd probably be more successful too.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and all exercise.

Mental, I know. ;)
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I only log actual workouts. Walking and cleaning etc I never log. With walking to/from work and walking my dog I probably walk on average 2 hours per day. I don't it as exercise, just part of my every day activity.

I don't log things like spices or black coffee
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't log gum (which is approximately <5 cals per piece) or spices (salt, pepper, etc). I try to log most everything else. My guilty underestimation is that when I eat fast food like buffalo wings from the local pizzeria, I look for the lowest calorie wings I can find in the database to approximate the calories in the wings I ate (because the local pizzeria doesn't have nutrition info available). I know this is silly because the calorie counts are only there for me to estimate my intake in order to lose weight, but I do it anyway.

As many before me have said, I don't log anything except dedicated exercise, and whenever I use an exercise machine, I tend to halve the calorie estimate it gives to approximate my calories burned (in 55 mins, an elliptical often says I burned 1000+ cals, so I estimate 500-550 cals). I live a fairly sedentary life due to my location (very little access to public transportation and nothing is within walking distance), but I take the stairs whenever possible.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I usually don't log anything I do at work (I'm a nanny). I walk 1-2 miles with the kid at least twice a week, we do yogakids videos, I go to gymnastics with her and do everything she does (except monkey bars and forward rolls), we have playtimes that include her sitting on my shoulders while I do squats or lunges, or on my hips while I do bridges, or lifts where I end up holding her above my head and taking a lap around the living room (while she wears a cape, naturally). I get a small amount of strength training in, and keep her endlessly amused, but it doesn't seem like working out at all because it's more for the sake of keeping her entertained than actually working out.

I also don't log the bites I take of her food as we eat, not because they don't count, but because logging 1 tsp applesauce, 3 peas, 1/16th of an ounce of chicken dipped in >1/4 tsp ranch is kind of silly, tedious, and time consuming. Maybe not logging those things messes with total intake for the day, but I want to make sure everything tastes good and isn't too hot, and the kid likes to feed me a bite of her food before she eats it. And honestly, logging every single, tiny bite seems too difficult for me, and I want something sustainable so as long as this keeps working I'm down.
  • hassell90
    hassell90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Exercise
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Since Im still new to this website I did add in any cleaning around the house if I wasnt doing any extra walking or cardio for that day. Just to get an idea of what I did or didnt burn that day. I dont log in the 10 or more plus times a day I walk up and down the stairs in my house { just dont know how to calculate that it besides for an option of going up the stairs}. My biggest wondering is what do they consider light to moderate cleaning compared to moderate to heavy cleaning. Yes i do realize cleaning dishes and wiping down the counters and table is considered light, but when does it cross over to moderate to heavy cleaning. Like today Im hanging up and folding laundry is that considered heavy compared to just doing the laundry?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't log daily activities as exercise. If I go out for a two mile stroll, yes. If I park in the furthest part of the parking lot at the store? No.

And I don't log things like ketchup or dill pickles. I also don't log things like sugarfree Werther's (8 calories apiece and I might eat two on a really bad day, normally not any) or Trident gum (less than 5 calories per piece).

I don't think that will work for everyone, but it works easily for me.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I walk between 3-4 miles per day and do my ab wheel (50 reps) every night but don't log either of them. I also don't log coffee or my water intake. I can tell when I am not drinking enough water because I have been for so long that I am very in tune with the signs my body gives me when it's thirsty (headache, dry/chapped lips, etc.).
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Unless it is my rest day, I don't usually log walking to/from the metro or biking to work (I live in a city and don't have a car).
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything as exercise unless it's actual exercise (e.g. cleaning, walking to/from work). For food, I don't log all my iced tea (0 calories) and I usually don't log spices, salt, pepper or gum.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I don't log anything. I don't eat back exercise to start with so logging it seems pointless. If I do something like a really long run or hours of cycling and I'm hungry I just eat a bit more. Logging everyday stuff like cleaning or shopping is just silly.
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I only log cleaning if it's a full house clean (1 or more hours), otherwise I leave it. I also walk 1-2 miles each day just getting around - don't log that.
    I also don't log coffee - I have it black (no sugar) so it's only 4-5 calories anyway. Squash I will also not log for the same reason.
    I also won't log vegetables properly - I just normally put in salad even though the ingredients I use are different - I've tried logging it all properly but the values are pretty much the same whatever you switch in/out so I don't care :P