Diary help? I am so so hungry!

Options
Heya, I have just started trying to lose and gone from eating around 2000 (and basically what I want as I wasn't logging well and haven't for a few months) down to 1750. I am using TDEE -15% assuming I exercise about 5 times a week. I haven't been exercising at all as I am caught up with studies, so this is my total intake on rest mode. When I was eating about 2100 total and exercising a lot I wasn't really losing, and wasn't hungry. I am yet to weigh in over the past 2 weeks.

I am starving. All the time. I have lost before on 1400/day earlier this year and was not this hungry!

If there is anyone willing to check my past 10-ish days and see if there's something I'm missing, I'd really appreciate it. I generally eat salads and quite healthy meals, so this isn't a dramatic change for me - just the amount I'm eating is a bit lower. Is there an important nutrient I have forgotten?

I understand the general answer will be 'eat more' and I will go to that strategy if things don't "improve" but was after more insight if anyone has any :)

I's 5pm here and I've eaten everything but my dinner... Pretty sure even chicken-feet would look delicious to me right now.

172cm
22 F
63kg

Thanks!

Replies

• KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Jess,

I'm not an expert, but I don't see anything you're missing in your diet. You're a good eater and get adequate amounts calorie and macro wise.

If you've been eating at 2,000+ for a while and haven't been gaining, I suppose it's possible you've really stoked your metabolism - which is awesome. If this is the case, it'll just take a bit of time before your body gets used to eating at a deficit again.

One option would be to try decreasing by 75-100 cals per week from 2,000 rather than cutting 350 right off. Letting your body adjust gradually may be more comfortable.

The only other possibilities that I can think of is 1.) you're somehow underestimating your TDEE, or 2.) You're not really hungry, but bored/stress/school eating. I'm a grad. student and when I'm really focused on studies I have a tendency to eat everything that isn't nailed down - it took me a while to re-train my brain to understand the difference between this type of eating and real hunger.

Hope this helps!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Try upping your fat, and lowering the carbs in terms of macro's

The other thing you need to consider are hormones. Are you on any medication? Are you pregnant?
    Stress can be another trigger.
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You eat pretty clean! I would be starving also. I would say increase the protein and whole grains. I'm not necessarily a clean eater but I "try" to balance my meals like this:
    Breakfast: Whole grain, protein, fruit
    Lunch: Whole grain, veggies or fruit with Protein
    Dinner: Protein, Veggie, Whole Grain
    Basically doing it this way helps me to stay full of satisfied during the day. Protein starts off my meals for the lunch and dinner. I try to snack on protein bars, fruits and/or veggies during the day and because I still like junk (sweets) I have 1 treat everyday.
    I do go over on occasions but I try to make it up with exercise.
    When I 1st started I ate just like you and I was starving but with a little tweaking I am so happy! I HATE to starve!
    Hope this helps
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Jess,

I'm not an expert, but I don't see anything you're missing in your diet. You're a good eater and get adequate amounts calorie and macro wise.

If you've been eating at 2,000+ for a while and haven't been gaining, I suppose it's possible you've really stoked your metabolism - which is awesome. If this is the case, it'll just take a bit of time before your body gets used to eating at a deficit again.

One option would be to try decreasing by 75-100 cals per week from 2,000 rather than cutting 350 right off. Letting your body adjust gradually may be more comfortable.

The only other possibilities that I can think of is 1.) you're somehow underestimating your TDEE, or 2.) You're not really hungry, but bored/stress/school eating. I'm a grad. student and when I'm really focused on studies I have a tendency to eat everything that isn't nailed down - it took me a while to re-train my brain to understand the difference between this type of eating and real hunger.

Hope this helps!

Yeah I guess I am comparing it to my past experience, and I am eating more now yet hungrier so a bit confused!
    There is certainly an element of bordom/procrasti-eating but there is no question that by dinner time I am STARVING and even after I eat dinner I am starving. I guess maybe my metabolism is higher than I thought?

I wasn't logging very well before to be honest, but I was exercising more than I am at the moment. 1750 is meant to be TDEE -15% for my age, height and assuming I'm exercising a lot! If I put in the real stats it would come out at 1600 :S

I am going to go to the gym tomorrow and weigh myself (before eating breakfast for a true reflection of weight as I always use that scale). I am not trying to lose dramatically, I don't have much to lose, but after I weigh I think regardless of the number I will increase my intake. Can't take this anymore :(
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    Try upping your fat, and lowering the carbs in terms of macro's

The other thing you need to consider are hormones. Are you on any medication? Are you pregnant?
    Stress can be another trigger.

Yeah I have thought of trying that. I love sweet potato and beans though... I am trying to eat in such a way that I can see myself eating forever, though it is a suggestion so I will try it :) I am not into this Atkins diet bulls*it though, so would just avoid carbs from beans and potatoes. No one - I SAY NO ONE - will take away my chocolate!

edit: only meds are antibiotics (long-term for a skin problem)... I am due to see the Endocrenologist about my thyroid though, thank you for reminding me (and making sure I harass her about this).

And no, definitely not pregnant. Not physically possible (long distance can do that). I am 'due' soon so that could definitely be a factor, however I have had hunger when following TDEE method before.
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    You eat pretty clean! I would be starving also. I would say increase the protein and whole grains. I'm not necessarily a clean eater but I "try" to balance my meals like this:
    Breakfast: Whole grain, protein, fruit
    Lunch: Whole grain, veggies or fruit with Protein
    Dinner: Protein, Veggie, Whole Grain
    Basically doing it this way helps me to stay full of satisfied during the day. Protein starts off my meals for the lunch and dinner. I try to snack on protein bars, fruits and/or veggies during the day and because I still like junk (sweets) I have 1 treat everyday.
    I do go over on occasions but I try to make it up with exercise.
    When I 1st started I ate just like you and I was starving but with a little tweaking I am so happy! I HATE to starve!
    Hope this helps

Heya, thanks so much for your reply! I actually don't like to eat any wheat products as I have done a lot of reading and I feel they are degenerative for my health in the long term... in addition to the bloating they give me (and sometimes headaches and dehydration and stomach cramps!!) I will admit that when there is a tasty cake I give in though ;)

I would incorporate more carbs in there, however I feel it could be going backwards as I am trying to have as many non-processed foods as possible (except daily treat, we all need that). I do snack on carrot and capsicum most days (out at the moment) but I think my issue is low sugar - only sugary thing I have had today is my chocolate and just had an apple 1hour ago.

I love Japanese sticky rice, thank god I am not living there anymore because I was addicted. Ate 500g+ of that stuff a day! So thinking of your suggestion I could try have a bit with breakfast and see how that goes. Raw eggs on fresh, hot rice is sooooo goooooodddd ;)